Leeds boss labels Bradford's signing of Greg Bird and embarrassment to Super Lea

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Leeds boss labels Bradford's signing of Greg Bird and embarrassment to Super League

January 19, 2009http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24932947-5016947,00.html

THE chief executive of rugby league world champions Leeds has described Bradford's signing of Greg Bird as an embarrassment to Super League.
Speaking after Leeds warmed up for their March 1 clash with Manly with a 12-10 pre-season victory over Salford Saturday, Gary Hetherington said all players delisted in the NRL or sacked by their clubs over off-field offences should also be banned in the northern hemisphere.

Australia international Bird, who has been charged over an alleged assault on his girlfriend Katie Milligan, was released by the Sharks last week and immediately snapped up by Leeds' West Yorkshire rivals.

The terms of the release included Bird agreeing to not join a rival NRL club, while the league had also threatened to de-register him.

"The signing is a blow to the reputation of the Super League," Hetherington said as the Rhinos prepared to travel to Orlando en route to the UK.

"Players banned in the NRL should not be able to simply sign with a British club and this is an example of impotence from the Rugby Football League.

"There is a lack of leadership and frankly it is disappointing that a club should want to sign him."

The 24-year-old signed for one season with a further two-year option. It has emerged the NRL may consider registering him for the 2010 season.

Bird's manager Gavin Orr described Hetherington's comments as "interesting".

"That's his comments and that's fair enough," Orr said.

"Greg hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

"That's his opinion and if that's what he wants to say, that's what he wants to say."

Orr said Bradford were not concerned by Bird's need to return home mid-season to face court.

He said he had begun the process of obtaining a work visa for Bird and wasn't expecting any problems in the wake of Todd Carney's rejection after signing with Huddersfield.

"He hasn't been convicted of anything so there shouldn't be any problems in getting a visa," Orr said.

wasnt it Bird who got suspended for kneeing a bloke in the head a few years back too?

Thats what gets me about these players most of them look like they are in their late 20's or at least mid 30's but they are all barely in their 20's it's effing incredible

ok imagine this situation, Menzies gets injured (horrible i know) and Bird has to carry him off, i give it 20secs before somewould yells out, "Geez, that Bird sure has a nice beaver"

I guess Bradford are looking to negate the positives Menzies brings to the club by being one of the cleanest players running round and a genuine good guy with someone who’s the complete opposite, or maybe there looking for a Ying and Yang kind of thing.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2