L'Estrange turn of events

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
MANLY hooker Heath L'Estrange has revealed he considered quitting the NRL to play rugby before a Sea Eagles ``lifeline'' contract saved his career.

The 23-year-old has been a standout for Manly in recent weeks, coming off the bench with immediate impact for starting No.9 Matt Ballin.

After being overlooked for the first two weeks of the premiership, L'Estrange is now an integral part of coach Des Hasler's game plan.

It's a long way from leaving the Roosters at the end of last year with few options available.

``Before I signed with Manly it was pretty tough,'' L'Estrange said ahead of tomorrow night's clash with the Raiders in Canberra.

``I was not on the verge of quitting, but looking at other options, besides Australian football.

``I couldn't go to Super League because I hadn't played enough (NRL) games, so I was looking at Australian rugby  everything. I said to my manager `if nothing works out we'll have to do something' and was open to any options.

``But I got a lifeline here.''

A two-year deal, to be precise, enough time to build on his 29-game NRL career spanning four stop-start seasons at the Roosters.

L'Estrange has now gone beyond 30 top-grade appearances and looks destined for a successful career at Brookvale.
``That's what I'm here for, a bit of a shot, that's all I wanted, now I'm not going to let it go,'' he said.

``My first year (at the Roosters), I probably thought this is too good to be true.

``I played four games then I got dropped, played about five the next year, got dropped, played 10, got dropped.
``I wasn't really confident around some of the players, they were so dominant and I couldn't do my own stuff.
``Ox (Manly captain Matt Orford) is very dominant, but he lets us do our own thing.''

And it's all good from L'Estrange, with his enterprise from dummy half a real feature of the Sea Eagles' attack this season.

``Matty (Ballin) has done well and coming off the bench I haven't done a half-bad job,'' he said.

``I just do what I have learned to do and what Des has told me to do to go out and try to make a difference.''

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/05/29/10338_sports.html

He's 23?!?  Well there you go... I can't really blame him too much for some of the things he's lacking (like that weird pass last week)...he's still learning and pretty young.  he can only get better

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6