Let's revisit The Des Departure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
With the vaguest possibility that Mr Des Hasler may return to the fold, I was trying to remember the position of all the major players in relation to the former coach.
I thought I remembered clearly but then I read somewhere how he left us mere weeks after the premiership victory and I thought it was three days. So I was wondering if anyone remembers exactly the position of the key players at the time?
I know that Manly threatened legal action - was this Penn driven?
I know the board was unhappy with the amount of control he had at the time - was that the whole board?
I know I've read that Hasler and ZtH have a good relationship but I can't figure how that works.
I don't think Bozo had anything to do with anything at the time.
So, I'd love it if someone or a bunch of people could tell all they know about positions of the major players at the time and since.
Ta.

With the vaguest possibility that Mr Des Hasler may return to the fold, I was trying to remember the position of all the major players in relation to the former coach.
I thought I remembered clearly but then I read somewhere how he left us mere weeks after the premiership victory and I thought it was three days. So I was wondering if anyone remembers exactly the position of the key players at the time?
I know the board was unhappy with the amount of control he had at the time - was that the whole board?
I know I've read that Hasler and ZtH have a good relationship but I can't figure how that works.
So, I'd love it if someone or a bunch of people could tell all they know about positions of the major players at the time and since.
Ta.
Why dig up the skeletons ? Lets move on !!!

Ta.
Just from memory BE.
Penn was chairman but didn't have the majority of the board. Des was about to sign a contract offered by Dave Perry in about April but I think it was Phil Sidney wanted KPIs put into it that Des found unacceptable.
Later Penn put together a deal but Des had probably accepted the Canterbury deal by then.
Can't remember where Zth fits into it.
Can't blame bozo he wasn't there.
That's as close as I can get.

Just from memory BE.
Penn was chairman but didn't have the majority of the board. Des was about to sign a contract offered by Dave Perry in about April but I think it was Phil Sidney wanted KPIs put into it that Des found unacceptable.
Later Penn put together a deal but Des had probably accepted the Canterbury deal by then.
Thanks HE. That's pretty much what I was wondering. Sounds good to me!

Thanks HE. That's pretty much what I was wondering. Sounds good to me!
And I do remember that some board members were concerned about Des expenditure, which is just dessie really so for him to come back Scotty would have to have his hand in his pocket all the time.
It would make for very interesting times.

Just from memory BE.

The KPI thing is a furphy!!

And whilst they didn't get on the board was united in trying to put a rein on De$ and get him under control.

Dave Perry was given the job.

Ha$ler didn't like it one bit, and commenced negotiations with the Bulldogs for his entire football department to dump Manly and go across.

But let me assure you BE, there was no board division on this, De$ was out of control and they were united in bringing him into line!!

The KPI thing is a furphy!!

And whilst they didn't get on the board was united in trying to put a rein on De$ and get him under control.

Dave Perry was given the job.

Ha$ler didn't like it one bit, and commenced negotiations with the Bulldogs for his entire football department to dump Manly and go across.

But let me assure you BE, there was no board division on this, De$ was out of control and they were united in bringing him into line!!
Mark I seem to remember Phil Sidney justifying his KPI request in the press , unless you may have more info than I am privy to.
Definitely they wanted his spending reined in though.

Remember the talk of Manly seuing Des and the drama of his work email that he was maybe using to talk to greensnot.

HE is on the money with his summary. Our board was dithering for quite some time with KPI's etc. and could have had him for less money than the Bullscum offered and signed him for.... sound familiar to DCE scenario.
The legal action was around the fact that the Scumdogs approached him whilst under still under contact and coaching Manly... The club actually had his computers seized and found evidence of the fact this was happening for a few months whilst he was Manly - this I was told to me by a internal source at the club and once a part of the coaching team.

This is how I recall it,
In the first half of the 2011, Hasler was after an extension and an increase of $50k, at this time the Board weren't keen on Hasler's power. Around this time and not getting what he was after, for whatever reason, Canterbury were sniffing around. Finally they agreed for Hasler to start in 2013 after Kevin Moore's contract finished. Hasler then activated his option with Manly to coach for 2012. Then later in the year, Canterbury sacked Moore with the intention (to the public) that Dymock will be the coach but amongst themselves that it would be for one season until Hasler comes. No announcements made yet.
The second half of the year, as told to me by an ex-great of our Club, the senior players ran the training for 2011 as Hasler was doing whatever he need to do in his office. At this point, he was caught out, because he had activated his option for the 2012 season with Manly and missing out on the big bucks at the Dogs seeing Moore got the boot.
I suppose the rest is history and well reported. Emails were allegedly found showing conversations with the Dogs during the season. That is why he did not sue for wrongful dismissal.

The announcement was about a week after the GF I think - but the story was made public mid week. Des got some laughs at the fan day in Manly when he asked Scott Penn to "show me the money". We didn't know he was already gone by thst stage.

Then Adrian Proscenco (?) from SMH wrote an exclusive report claiming Des had signed an extension. The next day Greenburg announced that Des was signed for 2013.

My take was that Greenburg and Hasler planned for him to start at the dogs in 2012 but for that to happen he needed to get dismissed from the final year of his contract. It did seem like he forced Manly's hand in that regard.

ZtH was very vocal in his support for Hasler at the time and the blame initially seemed to fall on Bob Reilly but I remember Scott Penn was part of the committee tasked to negotiate the extension.

Maybe it was just Tooves white anting:giggle:

The announcement was about a week after the GF I think - but the story was made public mid week. Des got some laughs at the fan day in Manly when he asked Scott Penn to "show me the money". We didn't know he was already gone by thst stage.

Then Adrian Proscenco (?) from SMH wrote an exclusive report claiming Des had signed an extension. The next day Greenburg announced that Des was signed for 2013.

My take was that Greenburg and Hasler planned for him to start at the dogs in 2012 but for that to happen he needed to get dismissed from the final year of his contract. It did seem like he forced Manly's hand in that regard.

ZtH was very vocal in his support for Hasler at the time and the blame initially seemed to fall on Bob Reilly but I remember Scott Penn was part of the committee tasked to negotiate the extension.

Maybe it was just Tooves white anting:giggle:
Yeah I remember proscenco got it wrong.
Idiot...

It looks to me to have been a marriage gone sour.

Let's face it the success of our team was down to Hasler and his posse . Even the toovey years the team played the same structures that had served so well...

It's interesting when a power struggle tears apart an organisation. So our board at the time were frustrated at a coach that had transformed our side into one of the best in modern football.2 premiership.Top 8 every year. And without the storm cheating in 07 and the Brett Stewart charges in 09 we could have had a few more. They should have paid him what he wanted.

The most successful coach we have ever had in my opinion and I would take him back.

If he becomes free agent then take him back ~ but with strict limitations on his control, and contract negotiation power. These Limitations widely promulgated to all the player's agents.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2