Life after Lyon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ben

Bencher
I would have to say the 2016 season will be Jamie Lyons last. Talk around that Dylan Walker will replace him in the centres but who will take over as captain?
I have a feeling that Jake Turbo will be given the C for 2017 and will have it for the next 10 years. Great head on his shoulders, very quick learner, leads from the front and already well respected by the playing group.

But that's just me.

Won't Foran be captaining us from Parramatta seeing as how he's such a great leader and all that other crap..?

I too think it will be Killers last year.

And Walker would be a speedy replacement for him.

As to the captain, only one choice, and that's not Jake Turbo.

DCE will be our captain, we're building a team to support him plus we have the added benefit of knowing he is ours for life! By 2017 he will be one of the more experienced players in the team and by that time both qld and Australian representative, history has showed you don't pay a million dollars on a player to not make them captain smith, Thurston, Inglis etc

A simple question...

Apart from age is there a reason why some on here are retiring our most influential player of the last 10 years before a ball has been kicked? It reminds me of the drop snake talk towards the back end of the season.

For mind there was nothing in his game last year to suggest that he was on a downward slide and, as a legend of our club, if he wants to go around another year deserves at least the start of the year to show some form. Every team requires balance including some experience not just a group of promising kids.

I wonder if the same people who advocate cutting players so quickly (especially players who have been incredible loyal to the club) are the same who are upset that Foran failed to show loyalty to the club....

A simple question...

Apart from age is there a reason why some on here are retiring our most influential player of the last 10 years before a ball has been kicked? It reminds me of the drop snake talk towards the back end of the season.

For mind there was nothing in his game last year to suggest that he was on a downward slide and, as a legend of our club, if he wants to go around another year deserves at least the start of the year to show some form. Every team requires balance including some experience not just a group of promising kids.

I wonder if the same people who advocate cutting players so quickly (especially players who have been incredible loyal to the club) are the same who are upset that Foran failed to show loyalty to the club....

It's a good point, it will be really interesting to see how he goes in 2016 hopefully with niggles all sorted. He seemed to be carrying a few this year.

I think we need to see how he looks in 2016 before giving him the deathslap, and there was a month period towards the back end of this year where Killer looked back to his best.

As for captain it will be DCE, but Jake would be an awesome vice captain.

Jesus he was hampered by several leg injuries in 2015. Plenty of clowns here have written him off. A big year from him in 2016 and you will be all begging for a 3 year contract. He will decide-he is class, and I don't see him as a man to play for money alone. Manly would have won FA without him

Last edited:
A good point @Isz I wasn't at all writing him off, rather I think he has in his mind a need to go back to England for a couple of years in the ESL, why do I say that?

I asked him earlier this year when in my old home town of Moree and they had the Manly players as part of a CRL visit.

He said he promised his old club he'd go back for a last hurrah, but only if he was still up to NRL standard.

Mind you he didn't say he was guaranteed to do that or when, so when saying it could be his last year I'm not saying it because I think he's off the pace.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
I was worried about him earlier in the year and then he proved that the injuries were the only thing holding him back...he really hit his straps with a wonderful game at 5/8 against the Cowboys (before injury struck again) and then he went on a two month bender carving the opposition up!

The reports coming out of pre-season training have been very positive. Apparently Killer has been blitzing the time trials and led the guys home on a 2km run. A fit and firing Killer will go a long way to a successful season.

As for a future captain, it will be DCE. Jake will be our forward leader and will have the respect of the team, but DCE is a natural choice. He's a leader on and off the field, and handles the media very well, which you need a captain to do.

I honestly thought that once Lyon got over the injuries at the start of the season that he started to look like the player of 2-3 seasons back, even finding holes to run through. He has lost some pace but he has had niggling injuries which could have been the direct cause. Injury free (that's the key) he still has a lot to offer our team. He is still the most versitile and best footballing brain centre in the comp bar none.

Maybe with a new fitness/rehab team around him they can keep him on the field more often with some new tecniques/facilities etc. One thing that has been evident over the last couple of seasons is that if Lyon is out or carrying an injury we struggle so at this stage i'm not looking too far ahead into the future just yet.

By all counts he is doing well and looking forward to 2016 with major changes to the club so here's hoping we get him another deserved premiership :)

Could be something completely fabricated in my head, but i slightly recall around the time of his last contract signing he mentioned he had eyes for returning to Super League for a couple of seasons once his time was up here but wanted to do it while he still had the legs to do so. While not pushing the guy out the door, if club is looking towards buying longer term replacements, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sort out a lucrative deal over there. That said, hopefully whatever happens is on his terms, safe to say he's earned that right.

Assuming Killer hangs up th boots at the end of 2016 I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Snake as the Captain for the final year of his contract. I suspect that he will then hang them up and DCE will take it from the start of the 2018 season. I could also see a co-captain scenario with Jake as much as I hate co-captains.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8