LIfe after our "big 3" retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As we know one has announced his retirement already, one is injured and may play on in 2017, and one is well, running around not doing much HOWEVER, within a period of maybe a few months, and at worst another 18 months we will be without any of our superstars from the decade of dominance.

Ferris might still be around but I'm not calling him a superstar, nor certainly has he been part of the leadership group.

So, thinking of that, and of course only based on who we have at present not who we might sign, or who we might punt, do you think steps up into this "leadership" role.

Clearly Jake is one, but remember he's only very young, obviously our most senior player will be Nate Myles BUT he hardly bleeds Maroon and White so maybe not him either.

We are certainly in a state of "flux" when this happens, no long standing players, and the only local champions young guys without the level of experience to perhaps step up.

So, in your opinion, who steps up quickly to fill this void?

Well I'd nominate these guys for our leadership group.

DCE-Our best player and most likely skipper and has done a lot in his career
Jake-Bleeds manly and another likely skipper and won't be leaving manly ever same with his brother
Green-If we sign him of course, he is a good calm player and has been through a lot
Myles-Oldest player we have

Jake and Tom T for sure with DCE.

I also liked the vision of DCE on the ground after the Cows game. He was visibly upset with the result. That's what we need. Not this crap where they look like they are at a bloody bucks party laughing it up after a loss.

Whether or not he has the Manly DNA in him or not, I really believe Dylan Walker is going to thrive in the next couple of years and be the premier centre in the NRL.

And although his form is far from great, I really do see value in Nate Myles at the club. His experience will be invaluable for Jake, Knight, AFB and Parcell.

For the love of God, we just have to remove the fat piece of cancer eating our club away.

That is having a far greater impact on our leadership and spirit than anything in my opinion.

Buhrer really needs to step up on the field, and make his presence known off it. I'd consider him in the vice captain mould. Jake will be our captain and bleeds maroon. Parcell needs to be a bit more vocal, he's definitely in the same mould as matty ballin. And I believe vave, he's been inspirational every time he gets on the field this year, very vocal, has lead from the front and loves a good chin wag on the TV, he's been around for a couple of years now too, he's seen the best and the worst of what league can offer!

Don't forget "leading by example" isn't all that's needed in this role, you need to be a reasonable communicator, and inspire the other players, the best I've seen at this in the last 15 years was Ben Kennedy, who was far removed from bleeding Maroon & White.

I just don't see Nate Myles trying to rev them up BUT he might when the others are gone.

I agree with Cherry's vision after the last game, he looked totally shattered, and certainly he might step up ( I didn't mention him in the opening post as to be honest I've never seen him trying to fire the troops up, of course maybe with the others gone he might start).

Don't forget "leading by example" isn't all that's needed in this role, you need to be a reasonable communicator, and inspire the other players, the best I've seen at this in the last 15 years was Ben Kennedy, who was far removed from bleeding Maroon & White.

I just don't see Nate Myles trying to rev them up BUT he might when the others are gone.

I agree with Cherry's vision after the last game, he looked totally shattered, and certainly he might step up ( I didn't mention him in the opening post as to be honest I've never seen him trying to fire the troops up, of course maybe with the others gone he might start).
I think DCE doesn't feel like he owns the side yet with Stewart, Lyon and Matai still all here. He needs to own this side not in an arrogant way he just needs to feel like he is a big part of the decisions the team makes on the field.

Our succession plan is dreadful. We all accept the job bk did in turning manly around. He bought many things to manly s mind game, but he bought an understanding of how to change a game, especially with defence. He read a game and lifted his energy when the team needed it. This inspired others atound him

The best thing bk did for manly long term was instill this in 2 impressionable you forwards in choc and gift. These guys really did keep manly dominant for many years and were largely responsible for the manly aura that everyone eludes to today. Once a team looked like coming back into a game or getting away , 3 or 4 dominant driving tackles setting the tone for others to follow. It gave the team legs, belief, a second wind and it hurt the opposition mentally. They were never done. They had gained from bks teachings, they could change the tempo of a game when it was needed.

But for some reason these 2 have not left another generation to follow. I thought horo was getting it but be was banished. I still think this was a bad move. Wether they were selfish, aloof or the club, coaches or management didt get the need , or missed the opportunity i dont know. But we had 2 of the best and it seems no aprrentices in place

Im aware everything situation has to have blame associated , who do we blame for this. Come on

Our succession plan is dreadful. We all accept the job bk did in turning manly around. He bought many things to manly s mind game, but he bought an understanding of how to change a game, especially with defence. He read a game and lifted his energy when the team needed it. This inspired others atound him

The best thing bk did for manly long term was instill this in 2 impressionable you forwards in choc and gift. These guys really did keep manly dominant for many years and were largely responsible for the manly aura that everyone eludes to today. Once a team looked like coming back into a game or getting away , 3 or 4 dominant driving tackles setting the tone for others to follow. It gave the team legs, belief, a second wind and it hurt the opposition mentally. They were never done. They had gained from bks teachings, they could change the tempo of a game when it was needed.

But for some reason these 2 have not left another generation to follow. I thought horo was getting it but be was banished. I still think this was a bad move. Wether they were selfish, aloof or the club, coaches or management didt get the need , or missed the opportunity i dont know. But we had 2 of the best and it seems no aprrentices in place

Im aware everything situation has to have blame associated , who do we blame for this. Come on

I think we can blame a group of greedy players who created a leadership group that dominated this side for a long time and never let anyone else into their clique.

And this was supported to the hilt by ZtH, who still controls the dressing room to this very day.

The sooner they (and he) are gone the faster we can start rebuilding our culture.

Lyon and Matai are getting long in the tooth and increasingly injury prone. Stewart is a liability right now.

We need them all gone and the cap space they are taking up used on young talent. DCE, Buhrer, Lussick and Myles can all step up as leaders. And Tom And Jake Turbo will both become a big part of that picture too, despite their youth.

It is a shame that some of our greats from the decade of dominance are now lead in our boots, but the future is very bright. We are only 2 or 3 quality signings off being a devastatingly good side.

I think fat boy will find the Manly dressing room a VERY lonely place next season.

All of his gang will be gone.

With any luck, he sees his allies are all gone and I am sure the squad will see him as irrelevant so he will waddle off into the sunset (causing a massive eclipse in the process). I live in vain hope.

I think fat boy will find the Manly dressing room a VERY lonely place next season.

All of his gang will be gone.

With any luck, he sees his allies are all gone and I am sure the squad will see him as irrelevant so he will waddle off into the sunset (causing a massive eclipse in the process). I live in vain hope.

I think your hope is very much in vain!!

He's going to be around, and making decisions until either the Penns sell / NRL takes over OR he dies.

Although I agree, the young ones won't look up to him so he is going to lack allies for a short while BUT you can bet he'll pick his favourites, get into their ears and promise them the world if they align with him, its the nature of the man, he can never really say goodbye, its the only thing he has in his life and he's going to stick to it as long as the sandwiches and pies keep coming.

DCE will be the captain from 2017 with Jake the vice-captain. I wouldn't mind seeing Darcy Lussick there somewhere as well. A bit of responsibility like that might just be what Darcy needs to start cutting out the silly penalties he is prone to giving away.

I agree that the team can only move forward once Killer, Snake and Skivy are gone. And that is no disrespect to any of them, but none are capable of producing anywhere near their best any more. Skivy is probably the closest but his body is letting him down.

We have a good core of players to move forward with. DCE, the Turbos, Parcell, Kapow, Walker, Lussick, Buhrer. That's not a bad starting point.

I imagine that's already happening. I can't imagine some of the younger ones take a man like that seriously. They would be fully cognisant of the damage he has created and how he has desperately sandbagged his position, to the detriment of the brand, since his sacking in 2011.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4