Light at the end of the tunnel

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
by @ellakasmar

Manly fans have been spoilt over the years. Premiership wins in every decade since the 70s, 10 finals series appearances in a row and a well-known successful culture. This luxury of triumphs over the years have caused Manly supporters to feel even worse when the losses out weigh the wins.

We've played some tough teams of late with the likes of the Broncos, Eels and Cowboys, and it's not going to get much easier going up against the Sharks at their home. However, out of our last five games we have won three - not a bad statistic at all.

Whilst currently we may not be sitting in the top eight, our run home, which include playing the including the Warriors, Knights and Raiders at home, is easier than the bump of extremely good teams we are having to play at the moment.

And whilst our attack and defence has been a bit lousy at the moment, individuals have stood out showing promising signs for the future. Young guns Matt Parcell, Tom and Jake Trbojevic share a mean age of 21, showing this excitement we have for the future of the club.

We are currently in a stage of re-building. This year was the first set of big changes we've had in over a decade, and it takes time for everything to come together. We can't be perfect all the time, and if the re-building phase ends with another premiership, then we will all know it has been worth it.

We all need to remember it's only been four years since we last won a grand final, we are only a win away from the top eight, and even though our performance on the field may not be as great as we are use to seeing, it's not all doom and gloom.

Hang in there and continue supporting the players and our coaching staff no matter what. You have to support them in the not so good times to enjoy the sweet times even more. Let's hope once injured and suspended players come back, and we play some easier teams, we can get a few more wins up our sleeves!

It could be worse, we could be the Knights!

Have to respectfully disagree. Our squad (at full strength) is not a building squad. It's a top 4 group (I listed it in the Manly vs. Cronulla thread).

It's also not that we are losing, it's HOW we are losing, and it's about attitude, as our coach says here: http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/05/20/barrett_works_on_tea.html

Suggesting that it is ok to be losing now, because we will face lower ranked teams later on is also a bit of a cop out. To be the best, you have to beat the best.

I really think as a supporter base, we need to have very high expectations for this group - their history, class and ability surely demand that? I really think we owe it to these men to demand more, and expect better all round.

OK, we want the same outcome, but tell Marty Taupau, Brett Stewart, Steve Matai, Jamie Buhrer we are re-building, I reckon they would refute that, and they'd tell you their aim is a premiership - THIS year. I'll show them the respect to expect and hope for that as well.

@Ryan you really are a glass half empty kinda guy...

Disagree. I feel all YOU guys are glass half empty guys. I'm not lowering my expectations because people feel we are going through a re-build. No way. This is Manly. We are winners. That's all that matters.

Just like Melbourne Storm fans would be thinking (only we don't cheat).

@lsz LIFT. Think more positively. Show the players, and playing group more respect.

Sorry, I won't have you telling me I'm negative, because I think the team should and could achieve more than others. I respect them too much for that.

Hence - criticism, when I feel it's warranted. Is that a half empty glass then? I'm sliding it right over to you mate. I'll also be telling you to go to the fridge, get a cold beer, and fill mine right up - this team is better than you and many other give them credit for.

They just have to work their arses off for each other, themselves, the fans, and their coaches....and it will happen.

They are just playing as individuals (some lazy) and not pulling in the same direction. Parra loss was an ok loss. Broncos was pathetic.

Problem I have is not the loses but the wins.They always beat Cronulla and Warriors no matter the situation of the season,very lucky to beat Roosters,probably should of lost if we're being fair dinkum,then it took an age to kill off the Knights who've smashed by all.League clubs don't have rebuilding yrs,they go out and buy who they need to turn things around immediately.Problem is,I'm not sure the person nominated as the coach is actually running the show

Disagree. I feel all YOU guys are glass half empty guys. I'm not lowering my expectations because people feel we are going through a re-build. No way. This is Manly. We are winners. That's all that matters.

@lsz LIFT. Think more positively. Show the players, and playing group more respect.

Sorry, I won't have you telling me I'm negative, because I think the team should and could achieve more than others. I respect them too much for that.

Hence - criticism, when I feel it's warranted.

Ryan not sure how you get disrespect from this?

For me it is about realistic. We are not in a era where it is possible to be successful over a prolonged era longer than what we have experienced already. It will happen to all clubs including the storm when Cronk and Smith are moved on

We both have different views of the squad - even at full strength I do not think we have the players (or where we do some are ageing like Jamie or are still new to first grade like Tom t or Matt P) to compete with the top clubs.

Finally even when we have not even had the opportunity to be at full strength this year with short turn around having a compounding effect on our players in terms of injuries and an inability to train....which has reduced the teams ability to develop combinations (which are needed as much of the spine is new)

Problem I have is not the loses but the wins.They always beat Cronulla and Warriors no matter the situation of the season,very lucky to beat Roosters,probably should of lost if we're being fair dinkum,then it took an age to kill off the Knights who've smashed by all.League clubs don't have rebuilding yrs,they go out and buy who they need to turn things around immediately.Problem is,I'm not sure the person nominated as the coach is actually running the show

Which in fact may be the real issue.

By the way another good piece of writing @ellakasmar

Ryan not sure how you get disrespect from this?

For me it is about realistic. We are not in a era where it is possible to be successful over a prolonged era longer than what we have experienced already. It will happen to all clubs including the storm when Cronk and Smith are moved on

We both have different views of the squad - even at full strength I do not think we have the players (or where we do some are ageing like Jamie or are still new to first grade like Tom t or Matt P) to compete with the top clubs.

Finally even when we have not even had the opportunity to be at full strength this year with short turn around having a compounding effect on our players in terms of injuries and an inability to train....which has reduced the teams ability to develop combinations (which are needed as much of the spine is new)

I completely agree that you're not disrespecting the team @lsz - I just think people are not giving them ENOUGH respect mate. Sorry if it came off that way.

With Melbourne, people said they would falter after Orford, Bell & many others were there. They transitioned perfectly. Great coaching. Getting the best out of their players every week (they have had 7 players out man this season).

I get they cheated through the process. Lets forget The Storm though. Let's look at The Broncos:

FINISHING POSITIONS
1988 7th
1989 6th
1990 Prelim. finalists
1991 7th
1992 Premiers
1993 Premiers
1994 Semi-finalists
1995 Semi-finalists
1996 Semi-finalists
1997 Premiers*
1998 Premiers
1999 Quarter finalists
2000 Premiers
2001 Prelim. finalists
2002 Prelim. finalists
2003 Quarter finalists
2004 Semi-finalists
2005 Semi-finalists
2006 Premiers
2007 Qualifying Finalists (8th)
2008 Semi-finalists (5th)
2009 Preliminary Finalist (5th)
2010 10th
2011 Preliminary Finalists (3rd)
2012 Quarter Finalists
2013 12th
2014 Elimination Finalists (8th)
2015 Runners-up

Sorry mate, but clubs CAN remain strong. Ok, they may have missed the finals twice in 28 years, but it does show you can remain pretty consistent and strong as long as you have solid foundations.

That's where I expect us to be. That's why Lewis Brown said he was always jealous of us. Etc etc etc.

I think we have to agree to disagree on the roster quality mate. I think we are league leaders to be honest, and I don't think I'm being too biased there. On paper, we look delicious. I thought we'd come 1st overall this year (I'm not going to lie), and I know a lot has gone against us like it does all clubs.

Hope you see where I'm coming from. I demand a lot, and expect a lot, because I think so highly of the group, which leads to absolute frustration when they show mediocre performance, which leads to criticism, which leads to a perception I'm being negative.

Not true. They are a damned sight better than this. Is that glass half empty, or glass half FULL?

Hence - criticism, when I feel it's warranted. Is that a half empty glass then? I'm sliding it right over to you mate. I'll also be telling you to go to the fridge, get a cold beer, and fill mine right up - this team is better than you and many other give them credit for.

They just have to work their arses off for each other, themselves, the fans, and their coaches....and it will happen.

They are just playing as individuals (some lazy) and not pulling in the same direction. Parra loss was an ok loss. Broncos was pathetic.
Firstly to the author of this thread: nice work Ella and I hope you have the same positivity by season end and will always be a sea eagle.
To Ryan, I 100% agree with everything you say. We have the squad to win now, the problem is attitude and buy-in to the Manly brand.
The dropoff has been so dramatic it sickens me, and it is a telling sign that I only get enthusiastic about games on game day now, rather than earlier in the week after I have vented my spleen and gotten over it.
The Manly brand has a proud history, a dominant winning % at the fortress, and some very proud individuals around the club (among the muppets), so Manly should be in the mix every year. By mailing it in like we as fans are seeing this year, you risk creating a club that has forgotten its history, a club that no-one wants to go to like a Penrith, Tigers, or Newcastle, and a club which will eventually go broke so the NRL can gleefully scoop up the licence and create an expansion team.
Stay angry Ryan.
NYEagle

Firstly to the author of this thread: nice work Ella and I hope you have the same positivity by season end and will always be a sea eagle.
To Ryan, I 100% agree with everything you say. We have the squad to win now, the problem is attitude and buy-in to the Manly brand.
The dropoff has been so dramatic it sickens me, and it is a telling sign that I only get enthusiastic about games on game day now, rather than earlier in the week after I have vented my spleen and gotten over it.
The Manly brand has a proud history, a dominant winning % at the fortress, and some very proud individuals around the club (among the muppets), so Manly should be in the mix every year. By mailing it in like we as fans are seeing this year, you risk creating a club that has forgotten its history, a club that no-one wants to go to like a Penrith, Tigers, or Newcastle, and a club which will eventually go broke so the NRL can gleefully scoop up the licence and create an expansion team.
Stay angry Ryan.
NYEagle

Thanks mate - I do get very passionate about it. I never understand the attitude of, "because other teams rebuild, or they are poor, we should be as well".

No thanks to that eh :)

We support the best team in the world (and that IS with utter blindness and bias - hahahaha). The quality is there. These coaches and players just have to show some pride in our jersey - my problem is, being Panthers, Dragons, Storm boys, do they have the ability?

These players are a long site different to the brothers who won the 2008 GF together (this group may be more talented), but the brotherhood, mateship, fun and enjoyment isn't there...not from their side....not from our side.

They need a kick up the arse, or they need to move on if they all aren't pulling in the same direction.

I completely agree that you're not disrespecting the team @lsz - I just think people are not giving them ENOUGH respect mate. Sorry if it came off that way.

With Melbourne, people said they would falter after Orford, Bell & many others were there. They transitioned perfectly. Great coaching. Getting the best out of their players every week (they have had 7 players out man this season).

I get they cheated through the process. Lets forget The Storm though. Let's look at The Broncos:

FINISHING POSITIONS
1988 7th
1989 6th
1990 Prelim. finalists
1991 7th
1992 Premiers
1993 Premiers
1994 Semi-finalists
1995 Semi-finalists
1996 Semi-finalists
1997 Premiers*
1998 Premiers
1999 Quarter finalists
2000 Premiers
2001 Prelim. finalists
2002 Prelim. finalists
2003 Quarter finalists
2004 Semi-finalists
2005 Semi-finalists
2006 Premiers
2010 10th
2012 Quarter Finalists
2013 12th
2015 Runners-up

Sorry mate, but clubs CAN remain strong. Ok, they may have missed the finals twice in 28 years, but it does show you can remain pretty consistent and strong as long as you have solid foundations.

That's where I expect us to be. That's why Lewis Brown said he was always jealous of us. Etc etc etc.

I think we have to agree to disagree on the roster quality mate. I think we are league leaders to be honest, and I don't think I'm being too biased there. On paper, we look delicious. I thought we'd come 1st overall this year (I'm not going to lie), and I know a lot has gone against us like it does all clubs.

Hope you see where I'm coming from. I demand a lot, and expect a lot, because I think so highly of the group, which leads to absolute frustration when they show mediocre performance, which leads to criticism, which leads to a perception I'm being negative.

Not true. They are a damned sight better than this. Is that glass half empty, or glass half FULL?

Sure do mate

As for Brisbane, considering the advantages they have, they should be the perennial favorites EVERY year.

I agree it comes down to how you rate our squad. I touched on it briefly before but whilst there might be some great names on paper, for me, we are not in the top 4 even at full strength. When you couple this with the draw and injuries I see us being, at the moment, where I would think we would be.

Does it mean I am happy with it? No. But i would rather the team takes a year or two for long term success rather than trying for quick fixes

Sure do mate

As for Brisbane, considering the advantages they have, they should be the perennial favorites EVERY year.

I agree it comes down to how you rate our squad. I touched on it briefly before but whilst there might be some great names on paper, for me, we are not in the top 4 even at full strength. When you couple this with the draw and injuries I see us being, at the moment, where I would think we would be.

Does it mean I am happy with it? No. But i would rather the team takes a year or two for long term success rather than trying for quick fixes

Fair enough. But what are your thought's on whether my outlook is glass half empty, or glass half full? Where do I sit?

Given you hopefully see where I come from on this side of the debate?

glass half empty, or glass half full
I always found that confusing, so tend just to drink straight out of the bottle now.

We certainly should have high expectations and I agree our roster looks good on paper.
However I am prepared to give them time to develop as a team. I'm more concerned to see how we finish the year.

then it took an age to kill off the Knights who've smashed by all
They weren't smashed by Melbourne, but I guess that proves Melbourne are crap!

I sometimes look at names we trot out - Snake, Killer, Matai. We look at them from the lense of historical deeds, I think they are all in decline - not the peak that the teams like Brisbane and Cowboys have now. On their day this team is a premiership winner, the problem is with the age of a core group I feel that it is harder for them to have "their day" week in and week out. I used to regularly run very competitive 10km times, on my day I still can - but it stuffs me for a few weeks after that. It's not that I can't do it - it's just that I can't do it on the regular basis I once did.

My performances now do not diminish my past performances, I just can't live up to them anymore - maybe we judge to optimistically this current squad of veterans?

Fair enough. But what are your thought's on whether my outlook is glass half empty, or glass half full? Where do I sit?

Given you hopefully see where I come from on this side of the debate?

I see where you come from but I think you set yourself up for pain.

Maybe it changes with age but I personally find i have more perspective as a fan the older I get. When I was younger I used to travel to every game (including some hair raising experiences at the old belmore) and would often lock myself in my room after a bad result...then 2008 happened.

To win 40-0 in a grand final against them, with you know who scoring THAT try...well I am not sure it ever gets better as a supporter. It does not mean I am not passionate and will not watch the news a day after a loss but it gave me a perspective to have the good you sometimes need to go through some bad as well

FINISHING POSITIONS
1988 7th
1989 6th
1990 Prelim. finalists
1991 7th
1992 Premiers
1993 Premiers
1994 Semi-finalists
1995 Semi-finalists
1996 Semi-finalists
1997 Premiers*
1998 Premiers
1999 Quarter finalists
2000 Premiers
2001 Prelim. finalists
2002 Prelim. finalists
2003 Quarter finalists
2004 Semi-finalists
2005 Semi-finalists
2006 Premiers
2010 10th
2012 Quarter Finalists
2013 12th
2015 Runners-up

Simple explanation - Lockyer was on 250K cap space. I we could have DCE on just 400K (seasonally adjusted to 250K) then we would have a much better squad with 2 or 3 more rep players just like the bongos.

I see where you come from but I think you set yourself up for pain.

Maybe it changes with age but I personally find i have more perspective as a fan the older I get. When I was younger I used to travel to every game (including some hair raising experiences at the old belmore) and would often lock myself in my room after a bad result...then 2008 happened.

To win 40-0 in a grand final against them, with you know who scoring THAT try...well I am not sure it ever gets better as a supporter. It does not mean I am not passionate and will not watch the news a day after a loss but it gave me a perspective to have the good you sometimes need to go through some bad as well
Lifetime supporters know what it is like to go through the good and bad but when you field a quality and competitive side like we did against the Broncos and put up an uncompetitive performance getting smashed 5 tries to 1 it does get pretty sad .

Great effort once again Ella and I hope Baz and our Boys put in a great effort against the Sharks tonight as well .
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!! :)

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4