London calling for NRL season opener

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
SMH.com.au
– October 2, 2015

North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney Roosters officials are considering a proposal to open the 2016 NRL season with a match in London.

While the odds are against the match going ahead next season, the fact it is again being discussed shows the NRL is moving closer to staging a premiership fixture in the northern hemisphere.

The Cowboys, Broncos and Roosters will travel to Britain next February for the World Club Series and it has been suggested that two of the teams stay behind to stage the first premiership match outside Australia or New Zealand.

As the World Club Series matches are scheduled for February 19, 20 and 21, the NRL season opener could be played a week later in London and the teams involved would then have the following weekend off while the remaining clubs played their first round matches.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/brisbane-broncos/london-calling-north-queensland-brisbane-and-sydney-roosters-for-nrl-season-opener-20150930-gjy7zy#ixzz3nM4DlZIg

I don't think many fans would travel all the way to England. Imagine the audience numbers. Besides the English Super League crowd, who would go? I didn't see many Rabbit fans on TV last year while I was watching the World Club Challenge (same with Dragons and Broncos).

If the UK becomes a semi-regular spot on the NRL draw, it will effect the players the most. Travelling from NZ to Australia every second week is bad enough for the Warriors. Imagine if they had to travel to the UK.

Super League teams don't come here during their regular season, so why should we go there?

I highly doubt this will happen. Don't the Super League teams need their stadiums too?

Just as every premier is touted as being at the beginning of an invincible dynasty, there is annual pie in the sky talk of NRL games being played overseas.

Why do they keep trotting out this ****?

In the meantime I've been in Guangzhou for 3 years waiting for the Sea Eagles vs Raiders match.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4