Looking ahead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
There have been a lot of thoughts thrown around about us after Monas, but what I find more surprising is how little people have commented on missing Hicks.

I think losing Hicks is going to be a bigger blow to our side than we imagined, him and Stewart are genuine speedsters and Hicks has a lot of skill, without him I think we will lack a little something, no matter the replacements we have they just aren't him and I think we are going to suffer for it, I am not sure Bani really is the answer, whilst he seemed pretty good, they were just some short glimpses

Does anyone else hold this concern?

Dan

My concerns are in other areas, but with Bani it will be under the high ball that remains a question mark. Other than that I hold no great fears.

Hicks scored a lot of tries that I don't think Robertson and Bani could score.

Hicks also played like a centre, he would come in field and score a lot of tries by doing so especially Bell was inside him, this was a must when Bell crabbed half way infield

Hicks had at fantastic season on '06,he was one of our best,but he really fell off last year.He didnt get anywhere near as involved as he did 2 years ago,and many more errors...i guess the management could see that and werent too fussed when he looked elsewhere.

Jatz Crackers link said:
My concerns are in other areas, but with Bani it will be under the high ball that remains a question mark. Other than that I hold no great fears.

Don't stress. Bani is sweet under the high ball.

Hicks is a fine player but he was on good coin and Bani has the potential to be much better.

assuming orford and lyon stay fit i am not worried about either replacement, Ballin is a star in the making and Bani will probably finish the year as our best winger.

We have great depth in all positions outside of playmakers.

If lyon got injured i would seriously think about giving stewy a run is this williams bloke is up to speed

As Fluffy alluded to, when Stewart is on SOO duty, we have a proper fullback to replace him in Williams and not Robertson at fullback. This will be much better for the team.

I share your concern Dan. Hicks had great leg drive when returning the ball and knew how to find the try line from 10-15m out. While Bani looks to have huge potential it is in the area of experience and consistency that I think we wlll notice Hicks' absence this year. I think Bani will be up and down this year but do believe that he can develop into an even better package than Hicks over the next couple of years.

I recall that game against Souths where we didn't break it until the 60th minute.  And in those first 60 minutes Hicks made some clutch plays to nullify very dangerous situations.  Bani has yet to prove he will do that. 

If the loss of a winger will make or break our season then I suggest we will be in big trouble already.  Book your next holiday in September

agreed-  the season ain't going to ride on a winger.

I'm worried about Ballin being consistant and the halves having enough potency.

2 of those arent playing league and 3 arent wingers.

And yes the fact that you can name those off the top of your head indicates that yes, they do come along regularly.

Flip link said:
[quote author=Nutzcraw link=topic=177036.msg179027#msg179027 date=1204856927]
All wingers are replacable

Folau, Hayne, Sailor, Tuquiri, Inu?

Clubs pull those sorts out thier ass everyday.
[/quote]

These players are only as good as the players up front and inside them.  A winger will not win you games every week.

Flip, tell me how many of those players will play wing this year???

Agreed it is harder to replace some players it's just that none of those players are wingers.

Of those players mentioned, 3 of them have only turned up in the last 2 years

Another way to look at it, how many quality wingers do we see prodcued every few years, compard to quality halves ?

That shows how often good wingers come along

Hicks will be missed for sure, but not that much

Bani will be a more then capable replacement for Hicks. Whether Ballin can fill the void left by Monas is another story - although, I've got plenty of confidence in him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6