Looking Towards 2010 and onwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
i dont think were gone just yet for 09 but i dont think we can afford to go the way of most recent premiers and spend a few seasons in the cellar because of the Salary Cap its for that reason we need to make some hard calls this year to ensure we can keep players really need who are coming off contract in 2010

heres the current squad
Chris Bailey
Matt Ballin
Micheal Bani
Adam Cuthbertson (10)
Daly Chery Evans
Keiran Foran
Glenn Hall (09)
Trent Hodkinson
William Hopoate
Jason King
Brent Kite
Heath Le Strange (09)
Darcy Lussick
Jamie Lyon (10)
Steve Matai (10)
Shane Nuemann
Matt Orford (09)
Junior Paula
Josh Perry (10)
Micheal Robertson (09)
Shane Rodney
George Rose
Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart (10)
Andrew Sunila
Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves
Anthony Watmough (10)
David Williams (09)
Tony Williams

As you can see we have some pretty big names coming off contract in 2010

Looking at that
the prioritys to retain in 09 should be
David Williams
Robbo
Le strange

Letting
Hall and Ox go to england

Releasing
Bani
Neumann

Looking to pick up a short term a cheap short term Halfback with expeirence someone Like Finch or Tim Smith

We could take a punt on Hodkinson and Foran but its too risky someone like finch or smith or even carney (not sure if he has actually signed on the dotted line with the chooks)

So 2010 manly would look like 
Chris Bailey
Matt Ballin
Micheal Bani
Adam Cuthbertson (10)
Daly Chery Evans
Keiran Foran
Trent Hodkinson
William Hopoate
Jason King
Brent Kite
Heath Le Strange
Darcy Lussick
Jamie Lyon (10)
Steve Matai (10)
Junior Paula
Josh Perry (10)
Micheal Robertson
Shane Rodney
George Rose
Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart (10)
Andrew Sunila
Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves
Anthony Watmough (10)
David Williams
Tony Williams
+ Halfback
+ 2 or 3 lower profile recruits or NYC promotions

Then looking forward
In 2010
the prioity resignings would be
Stewart
Matai
Lyon
Cutho

Perry i would let go to England as i think age would be starting to catch up with him.

Ive put lyon as a priotiy but i would be doubtful of him staying as he as said quite openly he wants to end his career at st helens.

Agree totally with releasing bani. drawford, Neuman and all this year. 

Cliffy Gc link said:
Looking to pick up a short term a cheap short term Halfback with expeirence someone Like Finch or Tim Smith

Over here in NZ there was talk a while ago that Nathan Fien was on the outer given Stacey Jones was back in the mix and Liam Foran had big raps on him.  Fien has reportedly knocked back offers from the UK and wants to stay in the NRL.  Don't know what the status is with him at the moment but would we consider him??

I believe we could do a lot worse than him, he could cover hooker as well.  Ballin should be playing 80 minutes I believe, so we could offload Le Strange??

Thoughts anyone?

Whilst I haven't given up hope on 2009 totally, we aren't looking good unless there is a massive turn around in form and attitude.

If we lose another 2 or 3 games over the next 4 or 5 weeks then we are gone. Should this happen then it is time to look towards the future and start building the team that will take us forward.

Once this season is gone, number one priority is to get some of these younger halves (Hodgkinson, Cherry Ripe, Foran) some NRL game time. Give Ox the rest of the year off and blood a few of these younger players. Orford isn't the player to take us forward past this year, in fact he isn't even the player to take us forward now. Give the young guys a run once the expectation of us defending our title is buried, that way they can have a run without a heap of pressure on them and can use the time to learn and get some experience. Let's see if they have the goods and build from there. Same goes with JWH.

I have given up on this season I think Des has sqeezed all the juice out of this lemon,the big question is has Des got the guts to drop some players and start the rebuilding now.He has shown a lack of imagination in his selections and he has to change his ways or I fear the smell of the spoon coming our way.

reyam link said:
I have given up on this season I think Des has sqeezed all the juice out of this lemon,the big question is has Des got the guts to drop some players and start the rebuilding now.He has shown a lack of imagination in his selections and he has to change his ways or I fear the smell of the spoon coming our way.
Wow what a class act you are, an inspiration for all Manly fans...not.

You can give up but there is no way Des can (or would) give up on 2009. Even if it got to the stage where we could not make the finals I think Des would still pick the team each week that he thought had the best chance of victory.

To question his guts is pretty silly reyam. You obviously never saw him as a player.

And to say he has shown a lack of imagination is just plain funny. He was one of the few people in the game who could imagine how much Lyon could add to our 08 campaign as a 5/8. He had the guts to stick with his vision when all and sundry were ridiculing him for it.

I have utmost faith in Des, he's a never say die man. We Manly supporters must maintain the same attitude no matter how hard this form reversal is to swallow.
This season it seems like the Eagles boys need an injection of something new (like winning - it's a challenge for the club, coach and players after two highly successful years). Rebuilding and not giving up in '09 can work together.

One player we need to look after ASAP is Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. He's off contract at the end of the year, and clubs are circling. The sooner we re-sign him, AND get him in first grade, the better off we will be.

I'm surprised that JWH hasn't been locked up already he is a future super star. I'll be would also be looking for a centre in the not to distant future a)Lyon has said he wants to finish his career at St Helens b) Matai injuries c) don't know the effect if the Central Coast team gets in if Blake Davey from the U20's would go back home

Looking towards 2010 and beyond.

Sponsorship dollars going down.

Gate takings going down

Clubs going to the edge (if not over it)

As I can't see a return to the "good old days" (financially speaking) the game is about to change.

Less clubs, less money to pay players (and that also includes Super League Clubs as the UK is in a FAR worse situation than we are) and thus less options for players.

I may well be wrong but the "Gravy Train" of the last decade is about to be turned on it's head!!

I just hope we still have a club in 2010 and beyond!!

willstyles link said:
One player we need to look after ASAP is Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. He's off contract at the end of the year, and clubs are circling. The sooner we re-sign him, AND get him in first grade, the better off we will be.

Cant agree more. A prime example of new blood that even if he doesnt display all the right skills on debut will make up for it with enthusiasm and spirit. His on field talk is muchly needed in 1sts. Cant believe his pathway isnt transparent today.

Like I said, clubs are circling.

Jared is keen to show faith to Manly, given they are the team that brought him to rugby league - but he should be in first grade. And he will be next year, whether it is at Manly or not.

Obviously, I'd prefer he do it at Manly.

With the sole exception of a world beating halfback, JWH represents the most needed talent "viable" injection into 1sts that we have.

Im certainly a Des lover but i will acknowledge that Des has difficulty with letting go of the "loyalty" connection and embracing the vitality of change.

willstyles link said:
Like I said, clubs are circling.

Jared is keen to show faith to Manly, given they are the team that brought him to rugby league - but he should be in first grade. And he will be next year, whether it is at Manly or not.

Obviously, I'd prefer he do it at Manly.
Forget about them circling he is already gone to the roosters,is disilusioned with the attitude towards young players at club.With attitude being Des and his reluctance to give anyone a go.He believes if he stays another year his development will continue to be stunted

Reyam, you're being pilloried for saying what should be said.  Des is predictable, stubbornly loyal, and maybe not the guy to take us into a new glorious age.  Yes, I'm grateful to him for the 08 success and the rebuilding phase from the dark ages, but one's usefullness always comes to an end.  Even I can admit and see that.  And Cliffy Gc your post is a very useful starting point for a discussion on the future of Hasler.  On your suggestions on who to let go, I'd keep Hall and say goodbye to Princess.  He's never set my flame alight.   

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6