Lorenzo Ma'afu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
IPSWICH Jets back-rower Lorenzo Ma'afu has returned to pre-season training in peak condition and club chairman Steve Johnson is adamant the former Bulldog is on the cusp of an imminent return to the NRL.

Ma'afu played two games with Canterbury in 2008 and is regarded as one of the most talented forwards not to be currently playing in the NRL.

He was close to securing a gig with the Sea Eagles this year and his Wikipedia entry has him at Manly in 2012. That is not the case but the 24-year-old is highly regarded by Titans' coach John Cartwright and may yet get to play a pre-season trial with the Gold Coast next month.. If not, the versatile forward will be right in the mix for a call-up should the Titans season falter.

Ma'afu would likely be at Manly this year had former Sea Eagles recruitment manager Noel Cleal not gone to Canterbury in the aftermath of the grand final. Cleal, an old back-rower himself, was a huge fan of Ma'afu and was set to sign the star Jet before his sudden exit from the Sea Eagles' camp.

But Johnson said Ma'afu's chance would surely come in the coming months, whether he plays a trial for the Titans or not.

"The Titans intention was to give Lorenzo a crack in a trial as a reward for a stellar season last year and the way he always presents himself as a magnificently fit rugby league player who does some amazing things," Johnson said.

"Lorenzo always trains very hard and he was to get a trial with the Titans in a game over in Auckland. I believe that may be under review because John Cartwright may want to take some of his top 25 players over.

"But he is definitely on the radar of Manly and the Titans. Hopefully during the season he will get his long overdue call-up for the Titans. He deserves it. He has trained the house down again. He is superbly fit and motivated. He has been a wonderful asset around the club with his enthusiasm. Rugby league rewards effort and Lorenzo is always 100%. He never quits."

Jets new signing Javarn White has also made a big impression on Cartwright. White, a livewire fullback who joined the Jets from Norths, has been likened to Matthew Bowen and Preston Campbell in the way he plays the game. With the Titans looking for a new fullback he may well be a chance of playing in the number one jersey at some stage.

There is a draft draw out for the 2012 Queensland Cup with the official season program to be released next week. The Jets have some travelling to do first up.

"We've got the Northern Pride in Cairns and Mackay away in round one and three. It is a tough draw because those sides are traditionally at their best at that time of year," Johnson said.

"We surprised sides last year in with our spirited defence and exhilarating attack."

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/01/12/nrl-return-likely/

mozgrame said:
Here's the good oil on Lorenzo, he's alright, but he's no T-REX!!

I am not so sure about this particular prospect's qualifications as a potential Manly NRL player,but it is a shame we do not have, after our long and glorious history, at least one Lorenzo on the Manly books. How long will we now have to wait for another Lorenzo to become available?

Berkeley_Eagle said:
IPSWICH Jets back-rower Lorenzo Ma'afu has returned to pre-season training in peak condition and club chairman Steve Johnson is adamant the former Bulldog is on the cusp of an imminent return to the NRL.

Ma'afu played two games with Canterbury in 2008 and is regarded as one of the most talented forwards not to be currently playing in the NRL.

He was close to securing a gig with the Sea Eagles this year and his Wikipedia entry has him at Manly in 2012. That is not the case but the 24-year-old is highly regarded by Titans' coach John Cartwright and may yet get to play a pre-season trial with the Gold Coast next month.. If not, the versatile forward will be right in the mix for a call-up should the Titans season falter.

Ma'afu would likely be at Manly this year had former Sea Eagles recruitment manager Noel Cleal not gone to Canterbury in the aftermath of the grand final. Cleal, an old back-rower himself, was a huge fan of Ma'afu and was set to sign the star Jet before his sudden exit from the Sea Eagles' camp.

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/01/12/nrl-return-likely/

This story does not RING TRUE. He was a former Canterbury player, and Cleal is now their recruitment man - so why isn't he playing with the Dogs? He's obviously not that good!
Manly must have had a look at this bloke and decided they had better prospects. Where did he get his 'peak condition'? at Manly's pre-season training?

I reckon there is a lot of BS in this report!

exactly, as if cleal wouldn't take him!!! a 24 year old playing qld cup knocking back the premiers??? alot more into it I reckon. With choc, stewie, joe, lussick, trex we have a few backrowers.

Don't forget rookies like cunningham could be about to hit the big time whuch no one really knows yet.

He was punted from the dogs for behavioural reasons. I heard he smashed a window at the leagues club at the preso night. I don't think he's welcome back. Tin foil hats off blokes. Not everything is sinister.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/lorenzo-the-good-oil-after-disgrace/story-fn6ck6f9-1226088363915

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/05/21/most-men-would-have-quit-sport-ipswich/

This guy can play & only poor choices has hindered his progress, but do agree we are blessed with a strong foward roster anyways.
In the leaner Seaeagles years I was always hoping we sign players from other clubs - now I am more content if we can keep what we got!!

MK Eagle said:
This guy can play & only poor choices has hindered his progress, but do agree we are blessed with a strong foward roster anyways.
In the leaner Seaeagles years I was always hoping we sign players from other clubs - now I am more content if we can keep what we got!!

Not all of our very best players are locals. Check them out.We should aim to get the best from whatever source and develop them. Getting younger players to develop helps retention, another vital element. Not much point in developing outstanding talent to benefit another club, such as Hoppa jnr. Maybe contracts could include payback clauses in either money or time to compensate or insure the club against loss in this eventuality. We put in the time, you put some of it back principle before you can leave?

arty said:
MK Eagle said:

Not all of our very best players are locals. Check them out.We should aim to get the best from whatever source and develop them. Getting younger players to develop helps retention, another vital element. Not much point in developing outstanding talent to benefit another club, such as Hoppa jnr. Maybe contracts could include payback clauses in either money or time to compensate or insure the club against loss in this eventuality. We put in the time, you put some of it back principle before you can leave?
My comment is based on our current squad & the strength & depth of it -obviously its important to spot young talent far & wide.
I was referring to established big name players - in todays market that would relate to signing Thurston, Gallen ect. Personally prefer to hang on to Choc,DCE,Lyon & the Stewart Bros.
I hope this is clearer. :)

MK Eagle said:
arty said:
MK Eagle said:

My comment is based on our current squad & the strength & depth of it -obviously its important to spot young talent far & wide.
I was referring to established big name players - in todays market that would relate to signing Thurston, Gallen ect. Personally prefer to hang on to Choc,DCE,Lyon & the Stewart Bros.
I hope this is clearer. :)
Thanks MK, now much clearer.

Berkeley_Eagle said:

www.qt.com.au/story/2012/01/12/nrl-return-likely/

Why would that stop him????????????????? is Cleal the only guy with pens ..
:huh:
I dont understand how Cleal going to the dogs would stop him from signing with an NRL club???? does this fool even want to play NRL or what???

I know if it was me & the side that won the 2011 GF were interested i would sign straight away .. This guy is weighing up between the premiers & the wooden spooners.. Cleal doesnt need to be here for him to sign..

jjai said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

I dont understand how Cleal going to the dogs would stop him from signing with an NRL club???? does this fool even want to play NRL or what???

I know if it was me & the side that won the 2011 GF were interested i would sign straight away .. This guy is weighing up between the premiers & the wooden spooners.. Cleal doesnt need to be here for him to sign..

Before signing I would look at where I would stand in the pecking order so to speak and every man and his dog can see that Manly's backrow will be hard to crack with established rep players etc.

Smart move from his manager to keep him in the q cup to get a contract with the titans for more money

eagles2win said:
jjai said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

Before signing I would look at where I would stand in the pecking order so to speak and every man and his dog can see that Manly's backrow will be hard to crack with established rep players etc.

Smart move from his manager to keep him in the q cup to get a contract with the titans for more money

Yeah i know we strong in backrow so strong that around SOO time i can see us being without two of them Watmough & Stewart.. Harrison got a run last season when needed, Joe wont be around much longer this is long term, if he is as good as he is being rated why wouldnt we nab him.. be on the cheap too..

mozgrame said:
Here's the good oil on Lorenzo, he's alright, but he's no T-REX!!

he seems as thick as T-REX the giant who took 3season before he realised what he could do..

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8