Loss we had to have?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

KOMORI

Born and bred an Eagle
I'm yet to actually see the game, and having listened to an ABC radio call that was juuuust a little biased I can't and won't comment on refereeing parity or even wether we matched them or not, regardless of the scoreline.

After a fairly rough and well documented mid season slump, we hit pretty hot form over the past six weeks, with the one caveat: none of the teams we belted are ever going to be serious contenders in 2013. This period did, however, see the resurgence of our attacking flair and more importantly saw the timing and confidence reappear with the ball in hand.

Then we come up against a very good Souths outfit who are coming off 2 consecutive losses and were certainly pretty desperate for a win. I've been hoping we'd not be beaten again, but certainly had a sneaking suspicion we'd go under in this game.

I feel that this is not a bad game to lose, and don't think Souths will beat us again this year if we play them again.

Why??

Honestly I don't *really* know: call it a gut feeling perhaps...

But I'm certain that a loss NOW is not a tragedy, and far better than a loss in the big one!

the timing of the loss is good, but you kind of feel we needed to beat one of the top teams Now, but essentially it counts for nothing moving forward. Souths have dogged it a bit in both the games and you get the feeling Manly wont lose to them next time

KOMORI said:
I feel that this is not a bad game to lose, and don't think Souths will beat us again this year if we play them again.

Why??

Honestly I don't *really* know: call it a gut feeling perhaps...

But I'm certain that a loss NOW is not a tragedy, and far better than a loss in the big one!

Isn't that funny? I came away with exactly the same feeling and mentioned that in another.

I'm not concerned about this loss at all, I don't think Souths are a threat. The 5 day turnaround, the slippery ground, and the refs all conspired against Manly this time. On a dry track fighting for survival we kill them.

Fact- we are yet to beat a top 4 side

Fact - a new competition begins in the finals

Write us off at your peril

NYEagle said:
KOMORI said:
I'm certain that a loss NOW is not a tragedy, and far better than a loss in the big one!

Isn't that funny? I came away with exactly the same feeling

Me too - thought exactly that. They can have their win now and we'll win when it really matters. A loss now isn't so bad.....but it was the way we lost that matters, being penalised big time and the disallowed but legitimate try.

Umina Eagle said:
True , but by the end of this weekend we will be 4th :(

Not necessarily, plus the 5th place team is 5 points behind us.

C'arn Raiders:exclamation:
Go Drugcastle :p

We didn't need the loss, but Manly's wins on the trot would have had us listening to this old chestnut by the Media.

So lets embrace our weaknesses and maintain the objective for 2013 :exclamation:

Nothing in that loss that would discourage me going into the finals series. We'v got to hold it together though and put a win together against Melbourne.

MadMarcus said:
The consequences of this loss are catastrophic. We have lost all hope of having a home finals game at either the SFS or Homebush. Now we will be stuck with an away final at either the SFS or Homebush - clearly a much tougher ask.

Haha! Yeah MM, I never looked at it like that. :)

Mark from Brisbane said:
Fact- we are yet to beat a top 4 side

Fact - a new competition begins in the finals

Write us off at your peril

souffs went into the finals last season having not beaten a top 8 team in the 2nd half of the season and they won.................not much.

The next three weeks will be telling in relation to our season. If we can't beat a poor Canberra, a poor Penriff and the scum at Brookie, then I just struggle to blindly believe that we will suddenly have the firepower to beat the top teams three games in a row in September & October.

I don't believe this for a minute. Both teams were going 100% to win that game. Manly were desperate to win that game you could see by the reaction of players during the game when a big play went our way as well as 2V's reaction afterwards, We wanted to win that game desperately to prove ourselves as well as a top 2 shot. Anyone who thinks we didn't go in 100% desperate is kidding themselves. Our guys will be bitterly disappointed with that result.

Umina Eagle said:

globaleagle said:
Loss we had to have?

Nah, more like the win the nrl needed souths to have.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Umina Eagle said:

Newcastle will beat Melbourne

I think that because the Rabbitoh's had two losses prior to their clash with Manly they needed to be given a win. It was practically the same referee that kept penalising Manly almost the entire game. It's a wonder we even had a few penalties go our way at all.
Depending on how the Knights play against Melbourne, if Melbourne just loses their clash against the Knights, then we'll be able to stay in third spot.
I just realised that in another thread I had said that what I heard Daly Cherry-Evans say that he and the boys are not to worried about cracking down the walls for a top two spot for the moment- that he believes we're in steady place- I said that we shouldn't be worried about a top two spot if they're not; being in the top four is plenty for now. And, yet, here I was, blowing up, over our loss to the Rabbitoh's. I think it was just mostly the penalty count I was furious with.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6