Luke O'Donnell: I'm not a thug

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Luke O'Donnell: I'm not a thug

By Steve Mascord | June 02, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23792636-5006066,00.html

NORTH Queensland second- rower Luke O'Donnell last night accused touch judge Russell Turner of "grossly inappropriate" behaviour and Penrith coach Matthew Elliott of hitting "below the belt" as it emerged he could face four charges from Saturday's spiteful loss to the Panthers.                              The NSW selection hopeful was sent off on Turner's report for lifting an elbow in the face of Luke Lewis, was involved in similar incidents with Luke Priddis and Trent Waterhouse and there was confirmation yesterday he was reported by Turner for verbal abuse as he walked off Dairy Farmers Stadium.
But in a remarkable outburst, O'Donnell told The Daily Telegraph: "I'll never plead guilty to intentionally elbowing someone in the face," and reckoned Penrith players should change their tackling technique rather than him altering his own running style.
He offered no remorse for comments made to Turner, saying "he has left me with a stain and I take it personally.

"I let him know what I thought when I came off because, one, I thought his report was ridiculous.
"Two, I didn't like the way he delivered it.
"And three, the way he stood beside the ref, shaking his head at me - half-trying to intimidate me - as Penrith players spoke to the ref was grossly inappropriate and unprofessional.
"If he can stand in front of the mirror and say to himself that he did the right thing, then he is a brave man. This is a stain against my name, how can they expect me not to be emotional?

Related Links

*War of words: O'Donnell is a 'serial offender'

r256203_1059818.jpg

O'Donnell is a bit of a thug, but I like his style of play. I thought his send-off was farcical, as that sort of stuff happens once every set of six.

He's not doing himself any favours by blowing up deluxe to everybody in the media about it though - he's come across as a fair whinger...

Its 'contact' sport. Occasionly that contact accidently occurs with the head. Its unfortunatle but its part of the game.

This is another example of why people who ref the game need to have played it.

He is a muppet, and deserves what he gets

To say Penrith players need to change how they tackle to avoid elbows to the chops shows the brains the bloke has

I thought he was hard done by, just as I thought Cuthbo was.  When the same arm style was let go early on Priddis with no penalty, no warning, then a send off for the same thing, it's the lack of consistency that's the problem.  If it wasn't a problem early why was it a problem later on?  On that same match, I couldn't understand why the cows didn't go for the penalty to put them four in front when they had the chance.  If they had off then they win. 

are you in the 21st century DSM. You are a dead set dinosaur.

They were both attacks on the head. what if Lewis had damaged his throat.

and nobody has bothered to answer what he should get as a result of the abuse of the touch judge.

Fro I dont think DSM is arguing the legality of it, more so the inconsistency. I tend to agree, this sort of thing happens every week yet one bloke has been sent off for it. Why is that the case? Whether he deserved to be sent off or not isnt the argument, its the fact that if he did deserve to be sent off, then there probably should have been 8 other send offs over the weekend. 

Parramatta scored a try off an exact same fend.

It seems like the refs all have their own opinion on what warrants time in the bin. The video ref even saw the parra one and he stayed on the field.

If your going to send one off, send them all off. Lets not just go, oh yeah I reckon the game can handle a send off here.

Kite had a problem of lifting his knee and took steps to change his style as, whilst not intentional, it left him liable to charges. O'Donnell has been sailing close to the wind with his elbow for a long time. Needs to look at himself as it is illegal. I have had the same treatment and it is not easy to tackle a guy with a cocked elbow.

O'Donnell is a thug, simple as that, ask Monas about his jaw.

I think Matas has his number somewhere :)

CW, O'Donnell didn't cock his elbow into Lewis's throat.  If you look at the slomo of the tackle you'll see the point of contact was Lewis's upper chest with O'Donnell's arm.  As Lewis fell of the tackle, O'Donnell's arm slid up to the throat and down he went.  Not intentional but a poor technique.  In my opinion the intent of O'Donnell was to brush Lewis of, not puncture his asophogos (sic).  Intent would be a cocked elbow to the throat in the first place.  The referee would have been better to have asked the video ref just what happened before taking as gospel a view from thirty metres away and possibly obscured by players assisting in the tackle.  Sending a player of is a critical decision and we ask the video ref for a view on contentious decisions regarding a try, why not on possible send-offs.  Interesting that the AFL don't send of at all. 

Fair enough DSM5 - I only saw a quick shot on the news. It did look bad though and he has prior form.

I think send-off should be an option. Otherwise, in a big game you just get someone to come out and King Hit a star playmaker - and then do his time afterwards, having put him out of the game and got the win.

Canteen Worker link said:
Fair enough DSM5 - I only saw a quick shot on the news. It did look bad though and he has prior form.

I think send-off should be an option. Otherwise, in a big game you just get someone to come out and King Hit a star playmaker - and then do his time afterwards, having put him out of the game and got the win.

Someone forgot to tell the ref & crocker in 97 GF.

FFS move on from last year, it wasnt a king hit, it was a big shot, regardless of whether it was kegal or not, it was not a king hit

Fro link said:
FFS move on from last year, it wasnt a king hit, it was a big shot, regardless of whether it was kegal or not, it was not a king hit

Then we disagree, so you can feel free to move on.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6