Luke O'Donnell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Luke O'Donnell

Seeing as though Gallon has re-signed with the sharks, do we throw the kitchen sink at O'Donnell.

I really don't think Beaver will take another season and I expect him to have signed to play in England by mid season. We must get another second rower/lock, we have no other choice considering our current options.

Luke O'Donnell

Mate - I don't think the club can afford him at the right price. Mayer has already stated this in the MD.

Luke O'Donnell

I dont believe what comes out in the media.

I remember the club saying we were not after Orford.

We will chase him and hopefully we can match the offers he gets from other clubs or he sees the chance of winning a premiership if he signs with us and will accept slightly less.

Luke O'Donnell

I also think it's like a domino effect. Luke sits down and chats with Crusher, and Crusher excitedly says, "well, your forward partners in crime will be King, Willow, Rose, Bryant, Choc, Stewart, and Hall."

Hmmmm...O'Donnell says.

Luke O'Donnell

by the sounds of it we had gallen if he was willing to leave from teh sharks, but it was the 1 club lure, something we couldnt compete in.

we will be competitive with LOD as well. Maybe Meyer has learnt from monasgate

Luke O'Donnell

True

But the clubs chasing him wont exactly be the ones with packs like the Dogs, Dragons etc. It will be clubs that need strength up front like we do. I think the only major concern would be Kite leaving as that is possible, that would influence me if I was in his shoes.

I think the potency of our backline will also work in our favour!!! As we clearly have the strength to score tries if the forwards perform.

Luke O'Donnell

Our biggest problem has been holding on to blokes for too long.

Dunley should not have had his contract renewed last year. We only need one hooker. Monaghan is perfectly capable of an 80 min game and even then we have Ballin. I just don't know what the club was thinking when having 2 hookers in 1st grade with 1 excellent prospect in PL.

Willo doesn't need to be around anymore but the club seems to sympathetic and offers compassionate contracts for some reason. If we'd made the hard calls like all the other clubs do (when your contracts up your leaving) we would have the extra money to lure the forwards now.

Luke O'Donnell

Interesting numbers.

CRONULLA's representative lock Paul Gallen last night revealed Nathan Hindmarsh was the inspiration behind his decision to pass up $300,000 to finish his career as a one-club player.

Gallen, 25, finally settled his future by agreeing to a $1.1 million, four-year deal to keep him at the Sharks until 2011.

The Daily Telegraph understands Manly offered Gallen up to $1.4 million to quit Toyota Park.

Gallen, off contract at the end of this season, will officially sign his new deal tomorrow. When his new contract expires, Gallen will be 30 – and a ten year player at one club.

Three weeks ago, Hindmarsh signed a new deal because he wanted to stay an Eel for life. Gallen was impressed.

"What Nathan Hindmarsh did made me realise how important it was to stay loyal with one club," Gallen said.

"He wanted to win a premiership at Parramatta and I want to do the same at Cronulla.
"Nathan could have gone somewhere else but he stayed loyal to Parramatta.

"I want to do the same.

"You'd be remembered for your whole life here in Cronulla if you were part of that first-ever premiership.

"Manly's was a great offer and very tempting but I wanted to stay at the one club. That is something special to me.

"And my old man (Garry) also wanted me to stay at the Sharks."

Gallen's manager David Riolo confirmed the Sea Eagles offer was lucrative and tempting.

"I don't think Paul ever really wanted to leave," Riolo said.

"Manly was an option and a very positive option and they put forward a very lucrative offer.

"Paul wanted to make sure he made the right decision and examined every option but just couldn't see himself playing anywhere else."

But Manly coach Des Hasler denied his club had ever made a concrete offer to Gallen.

"We were interested but didn't make an official offer," Hasler said.

"It didn't get that far down the track. He will be a 10 year player there at Cronulla. Congratulations to the Sharks and good on him for staying.

"If we did make an offer it would only have been at market value but as I said, it never got to that stage.

"We were buzzing around but it was always going to be hard to get him out of there – he's a Cronulla boy through and through."

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart was delighted Gallen had been retained.

"Paul rejected a huge offer from Manly to stay and he stayed for less, which is a great sign," Stuart said.

"He is a big part of our plans here for the future."

Luke O'Donnell

It sounds strange, but 350k is far too much for Gallen, but 275k seems like excellent value - but there isn't a tremendous difference between the two.

I didn't want Manly to chase Gallen, and I would've been unimpressed if he'd accepted our $1.4 million contract, but if we'd got him for less than 300k I actually would've been fairly happy.

Love the contradicting messages from Dessie and Sticky though :)

Luke O'Donnell

If what des said was true then perhaps he was using manly as a bogus offer at the negotiation table to jack the sharks offer up a little bit.

Luke O'Donnell

Dunley should not have had his contract renewed last year. We only need one hooker. Monaghan is perfectly capable of an 80 min game and even then we have Ballin.
I think Dunley was kept as a back up to Ballin as they were still trying to pack Monas off to another club or the UK.

Willo was kept for depth as he would not be on big money.

As for Gallen staying at the Sharks, the fact that his club coach is the Australian coach (and he has just broken into rep footy) would have played a big part.

Luke O'Donnell

its true- fat lump of ****e- nothing to worry about....he's a product of Riverview so must be prone to losing!

Luke O'Donnell

If he can't get a gig in the Waratah front row ahead of Dunning he must be more than useless.

Luke O'Donnell

lets face it anyone can get a game in Union at the moment, the Australia game is a shambles and at an all time low. Quite funny really!!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7