Lyon contract situation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
From RLW

"Manly skipper Jamie Lyon is off contract at the end of 2013 and wants a 2 year deal to finish his career. But he was told last week that after massive upgrades to young stars, he can only be offered a one-year extension, meaning he can quit Manly at the end of next year, stay for 2014 and retire 1 year early, or chase another club for 2015"

We are pretty full of older guys and Sir Alex Ferguson only has rolling 1 year contracts after 30. Yet, Jamie has been an absolute gun the past few years. A dilemma that most clubs face. Surely he would get a contract in UK.

What I read into that is that we have back ended the deals of a few and they will peak in value in 2015 making it hard to make a respectable offer to Killer which would be a tough pill to swallow

Plenty of time between now and then to hopefully find a solution

I don't think he would drag his kids over to the UK Darren, especially at school age

Based on the last 2 years performances, he would be the first player I would sign.Surely there has to be some way to keep him in the club for that extra year. I would rather not see another Beaver where a club legend is shipped off to the UK to see out their career.

this doesnt mean he leaves end of next year, this is talking about a 1 or 2 year extension on top of his 2013 contract so we are talking about keeping him around for 2 or 3 more years not 1 or 2. Plus who knows how much the cap will increase for the start of 2015, could be 7 million by then.

This what happens when you pay overs for a set of young halves, and brett should never get that sort of money he was asking , i love any guy who plays in maroon and white , but we probably should have let snake go , and only kepted one of the halves ,not massive money for both....what other team has spent as much on there halves as us, massive gamble on young blokes... hope it pays off, but losing guys like lyon will be the cost we pay for doing so. Hope im wrong.......

seaeagles4life said:
this doesnt mean he leaves end of next year, this is talking about a 1 or 2 year extension on top of his 2013 contract so we are talking about keeping him around for 2 or 3 more years not 1 or 2. Plus who knows how much the cap will increase for the start of 2015, could be 7 million by then.

This is a much better way of looking at it :)

Let's not do a dodgy 1+1 year option ala Tony Williams

I can't find it doing a search, but I made a post a few months ago quoting a goos source that said Hugh jackman had lined up lots more third party sponsors to ensure killer stayed in the maroon and white for a further two years beyond this contract..

It sounded real legit.

Here it is..

Found the original quote from user "fivespoons"

Had the pleasure of meeting Hugh this afternoon in the Manly sheds. He has generously arranged 3rd party sponsorship through a close friend of his wife Debra, that will see Jamie Lyon stay an Eagle for life and a special sponsorship for the Wolfman. He also informed me he has let management know that there are at least 3 more sponsors available through him and Manly are holding off on taking him up on them now as they believe they will best be used for Lingi Sao, Clint Gutherson and Michael Chee Kam next season or the season after. He is a very unassuming man and absolutely loves Manly.

What a surprise - a destabilizing leak

Someone's ego must need boosting

C'mon Manly.
If there is one player we should re-sign, it's definitely Killer.
He's worth every cent.
He's been the best player for us and he's consistent.
Don't lose him early like we did to Beaver.
I would sign Jamie for another 5 years!

c eagle said:
This what happens when you pay overs for a set of young halves, and brett should never get that sort of money he was asking , i love any guy who plays in maroon and white , but we probably should have let snake go , and only kepted one of the halves ,not massive money for both....what other team has spent as much on there halves as us, massive gamble on young blokes... hope it pays off, but losing guys like lyon will be the cost we pay for doing so. Hope im wrong.......

Paid overs for DCE, Foz & Snake?

How would you rank them in their positions by their career achievements and their value to their team?

# 7 1. Cronk 2. DCE 3. ??? 4. daylight
# 6 1. Thurston 2. Foran 3. Benji 4. Carney?
# 1 1. Slater 2. Snake 3. Inglis 4. Bowen

Maybe Snake's best years are behind him which is what they said about Bowen and look how he's come back from injury - career best form.
Never underestimate a champion and a guy that gives us a close on 80% win rate.

The Storm have the best 1,7 & 9 currently. We have the 2nd best ( if we're being honest ) 1, 6, 7 & 9 locked up long term, it aint all bad.

We all wish players could go on forever, if they did we'd still have Tooves, Cliffy, Beaver & BK still chugging around.

really the halfs where the priority after 2011 gf win, young, talented can be a top 8 team even when rebuilding which is soon.

Meh, This is some dogs supporter over at rlw trying to take the focus off their own problems.

They've probably been getting upset at our correct and completely justified comments over here and are trying to make us implode.

There is no way, this far out, that negotiations have gotten anywhere near complete, nor have 3rd party options been exhausted.

A beat up to try and stop the doggy beat down.

Go Manly!!

Edit: Lyon to date (I far as I can see) has been the only one to thank us wonderful fans. :)

its a long way off and if it does come down to him leaving I can see him having a farewell season at St Helens

joeboy said:
I can't find it doing a search, but I made a post a few months ago quoting a goos source that said Hugh jackman had lined up lots more third party sponsors to ensure killer stayed in the maroon and white for a further two years beyond this contract..

It sounded real legit.

Here it is..

Found the original quote from user "fivespoons"

Had the pleasure of meeting Hugh this afternoon in the Manly sheds. He has generously arranged 3rd party sponsorship through a close friend of his wife Debra, that will see Jamie Lyon stay an Eagle for life and a special sponsorship for the Wolfman. He also informed me he has let management know that there are at least 3 more sponsors available through him and Manly are holding off on taking him up on them now as they believe they will best be used for Lingi Sao, Clint Gutherson and Michael Chee Kam next season or the season after. He is a very unassuming man and absolutely loves Manly.

We don't have a user called fivespoons, sounds like a nice unsubstantiated rumour. In a perfect world we'd have 3rd party sponsors lining up to throw money at players outside of the cap. Unfortunately we don't live in Brisbane.

I would sign him on a 10 year deal. I don't care how old he will be, I bet he could still play good footy - just like his father Cliff Lyon when he was getting on in years...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2