Lyon hoping to extend career with Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Manlymaniac

Lyon hoping to extend career with Manly
By AAP
6 hours ago
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2016%2F04%2F05%2F14%2F19%2F050416jamielyon_g.jpg

Jamie Lyon. (Getty)
FShareTTweetBEmail

Comments

Manly skipper Jamie Lyon is keen to extend his career into an 18th season but accepts it might be at another NRL club.

Lyon, who turns 35 early next year, is off contract at the end of the season and after five rounds he feels he still has it in him to go around again.

The veteran centre is one of a handful of Manly's top-grade stars, along with Brenton Lawrence, Feleti Mateo, Jorge Taufua and Tom Symonds, who are yet to agree to new deals.

Lyon says he'd love to remain at the Sea Eagles, who he joined in 2007 from English club St Helens, but concedes salary cap restraints might force him out.

"I'll see how the body is going at the end of the season," Lyon said.

"I'd like to stay here if possible but that will depend on the salary cap and that sort of thing. Hopefully I can go again."

Asked if he could rule out lining up in different colours next year, Lyon said: "I'm not sure. I'd definitely rather be here than anywhere else, that's for sure but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

While he admitted his form but taken a dip this year, he said he felt like he was still capable of performing at the highest level.

"It's been a little bit quiet, there's been a couple of games there where I've drifted in and out," Lyon said.

"The other guys have really put in in the backline so it'll be good if I can get in there and get a few more hit ups."

©AAP2016

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/04/...to-play-on-in-nrl-in-2017#KLqvajEIjFROWlBo.99

I really hope the club can sign him for one more season. Apart from all the skills and experience that he offers the team, there is one thing that is priceless and that is his aura and calmness that reassure me as a fan that our team is in good hands every time he plays.

If he can't get another season with Manly maybe a couple of seasons in England would end a great career

Yeah he should show everyone if he is good enough to go around again and Tom on the wing will help him once they work out a combination. Matai is the one I think will move on. He deserves either a big pay day over seas or a couple of years closer to home. His or his wife's but I think he could do a lot for the Warriors. FFS he'd have ayshfords spot in a heartbeat v

Purely based on form, Matai is playing much better than killer. Lyon still has skills in abundance, but one one, he seems quite weak & very slow.

Jamie Lyon has been a champion BUT the only way id give him one more year is he if he moved to 5/8 permanently and Dylan walker moves to the centres. As a 5/8 his Jamie want be exposed with his pace. Then in 2018 hopefully Tom Wright is ready for 1st grade as a 5/8.

don't want to see him in another team here so if he goes around again i'd like to see him go off to catlans with the other expats.

Great club man and has achieved so much for us but 2016 should be it. I doubt another club would want a 36 year old centre next year either, especially for a one off. Has England written all over it.

In reality we really need to try and have Killer/Matai leave in different years to split the load of reshuffles if possible

He us waiting and so am i . His class can not be denied. Manlys game hasnt suited lyon thus far, as manly blossoms so will jamie. He has some surprises left yet

"Asked if he could rule out lining up in different colours next year, Lyon said: "I'm not sure. I'd definitely rather be here than anywhere else, that's for sure but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

We know that Manly folk stop at the Spit Bridge, so it's a given he's not going anywhere.

I reckon he'll be right.

Apparently he won some pre season foot race within the club so he's fit enough.

He's said that he hasn't been in the form he wants to be - he knows how to fix that after all these years, and

I don't think he's real injury prone so that's a plus for him.

Hopefully we don't all feel the need to hang him because he didn't say "oh I want to play at Manly 10 trillion percent and would never ever play anywhere else and can I offer any more commitments in this matter that some on silvertails require."

But I neither sign the cheques nor partake in the negotiations but I hope it all works out for the best...for Jamie and the club.

(everytime I hear comments about Jamie to 5/8 or moving walker out, I think Barrett has been quite clear that he want's walker there. We say stability in the halfback and 5/8 role is important so he is hardly going to put walker there for 2016, lyon there for 2017 then walker back there for 2018. sheesh derp derp derp. So usually I just hear derp de derp de derp when people suggest it. - apologies) :):angel:

Last edited:
I agree that the only way Manly should retain him next season is if he moves to 5/8 now and proves he can cut it for another season. That's not in any way denigrating this great footballer, but everyone reaches their used-by date.
I'm sure if he wants to play on then Doesn'tmatta will pay overs for him, just as they did for BoChoc.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2