Make Beaver an Immortal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Probably a bit over the top but has there ever been a better second rower than Beaver, for as long. Had he played in a strong team in the period from 99 to 2005 (and therefore played Rep football) he could be named up there with the very greats of the immortals.

His tryscoring alone rates him up with the best ever to play the game. I feel honoured to have supported Manly with him in the team. He can play till 2013 as far as I am concerned. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think he should avoid standing still out the front of Brookvale Oval. He may well find himself cast as a bronze statue.

can you imagine what would happen to that statue by a certain manly fan considering what he does to the wally lewis one

Best player/man/second rower/try scorer ever.

Legend... deserves everything the manly club will give him and more when he is done... he was brilliant last night.. that first try was a cracker.. typical beaver stuff.

I reckon we should start a petition that should a new stand be built at brookie during any renovations it be called the Steven Menzies stand.

In an announcement to be made by the club today, the new stand will be named after 3 Manly greats. Ron Willey, Dale Shearer and Steve Menzies.

The stand will be known as "The Willey Shearer Beaver Stand"

Seems like some of the Manly fans on the Hill know only one type of Beaver.

At least this is good for the gene pool of the Beaches.

For someone who doesn't tolerate other's mediocrity, you sure indulge yourself in it.

For me, I don't need to hear that beaver will be added to the Immortals. Add up all the pros and cons and I do not remember a more valuable club player. Add rep duties, tries, community work.....

Basically, we'll never see another one like him.

No one doubts the contribution that Steve Menzies has made to our club.

Whilst I would never oppose such an honor as naming a grandstand after him how do you compare his feats to players such as Eadie, Randall, Fulton, Vautin, Krilich, Lyons and others.

In what manner should these greats and others that I haven't named be immortalized. It always saddens me that the Southern Stand was not named after someone & that the Jane Try Stand was named after a person who was not directly involved in the Football Club, not that I am begrudging her family's gift of the land that was donated.

Pete makes a good point re the former Manly greats. My poinot about Beaver is that his record is extraordinary given his try-scoring exploits and his longevity. It won't happen and I am not seriously suggesting it will, though he is one of the best ever in my view.

Not to mention that Beaver stuck with the club when it was falling down around him.

I dare say he could have doubled, even tripled his salary in those times but he stayed and help rebuild a doomed club.

Pete makes a good point re the former Manly greats. My poinot about Beaver is that his record is extraordinary given his try-scoring exploits and his longevity.

You could say similar in regard to Eadie, 1 man club (excluding his superannuation payment in England), held the goal kicking and point scoring records for a long time. I just think naming a grandstand after any 1 player when there are so many choose from will cause more problems than it solves.

Our next legend may well be playing with us right now, Brett Stewarts game has gone from very good in 2006 to exceptional in 2007. The 2 tries he scored on Saturday involved just not speed but strength and what about his kick for Menzies' try. To be running at speed and kick with the accuracy that he did just adds another tick to his game.

He is no doubt a Manly immortal, but I don't think he'll be named as one of the RL Immortals. He is a good player and a great clubman but hasn't dominated in his position nor has he revolutionised RL in any way. To be an Immortal you have to offer something more than longevity and try scoring...otherwise ET and Terry Lamb would be there.

By all means he'll go down as one of Manly's greats, if not the greatest, and he should be recognised in some way by the club.

Actually thinking a bit more about it, to be the highest scoring forward in the history of the game has plenty of merit. Maybe Immortality will beckon the great Beaver upon retirement. Certainly deserves it more than Wally the Golly spitter.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
Pete makes a good point re the former Manly greats. My poinot about Beaver is that his record is extraordinary given his try-scoring exploits and his longevity.

You could say similar in regard to Eadie, 1 man club (excluding his superannuation payment in England), held the goal kicking and point scoring records for a long time. I just think naming a grandstand after any 1 player when there are so many choose from will cause more problems than it solves.

Our next legend may well be playing with us right now, Brett Stewarts game has gone from very good in 2006 to exceptional in 2007. The 2 tries he scored on Saturday involved just not speed but strength and what about his kick for Menzies' try. To be running at speed and kick with the accuracy that he did just adds another tick to his game.

[/quote]

Good Point on Brett Stewart Pete.

I believe he should be the Aussie No.1 he has deadset been outstanding this year... he has gone from a good gap runner and try scorer to a good gap runner, try scorer, playmaker, positional player, backer upperer (official name).. he has gone to a whole new level this year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4