Manly Are Back Oh Yeah!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep give a rookie jurno a few old articles (and I mean old articles 40 years ago) and recycle , lazy lazy article from a crap publication . And just to add my two bobs worth I hate being the whipping boys name one team that hasnt recruited to buy a comp.

That article is so historically incorrect it's laughable. The nth beaches wasn't the playground of the rich in 1947 by any stretch of the imagination.

Nice pic of those "wests juniors" that came to manly in 1980. All of whom came from other parts of nsw (sth coast, griffith, coota

Yeah. To claim that Brookvale was/is anything but working class is poor research. I'm sure in the early days Manly wasn't despised. It started in the 1970s when we did recruit good players and dominated the comp.
It's envy, not hate.
the NRL is so lucky it has a team that represents the entire north side of Sydney. We have no rival neighbours. No other Sydney club would be missed as much as us if we were to fold.

Last edited:
Ignoring the errors in the article its good to know another journo out there is promoting the message of dislike, or for a better term HATE, of this great club we all support. This was my purpose in posting the article.

Last edited:
20131006_174226.jpg

That article is so historically incorrect it's laughable. The nth beaches wasn't the playground of the rich in 1947 by any stretch of the imagination.

Nice pic of those "wests juniors" that came to manly in 1980. All of whom came from other parts of nsw (sth coast, griffith, coota
Two big inaccuracies in the story:

1. When the hate started
When I started obsessively watching Manly in the early 60s no-one hated them. There was nothing to be jealous of. The jealousy only started when Manly started winning premierships and became the powerhouse of the League from the early 70s. And Roy Masters actively fueled widespread hatred, built on this jealousy, around 1978. Bin Laden learned about manipulating people using jealousy and raw mindless hatred from Roy Masters, or if not, then his education wasn't complete.

2. Fibros
The Northern Beaches was Fibro house filled in the 40s, 50s, 60s. It had been a remote working class outpost of Sydney. And our players did indeed live in fibro houses when Masters invented and spread the Fibros v Silvertails hatred of our players. Sure, it is called God's country now. And for good reason. But its roots were firmly working class.

But I did enjoy reading the myth again.

I actually enjoyed reading it and I think Pam did a pretty good job. It's hard for a younger journo to venture back into territory where some here actually lived, but she captured the hate/respect/envy emotions well, and the hopelessness many fans felt with the halfbacks and coach dramas. And it doesn't hurt to remind opposing fans that hating us is expected from time to time.

But what I like especially, as said by Oscar Wilde.....
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

The Wilde quote is a good one.

Most of the northern beaches area was bush, sparsely settled, resembling country villages up until the 50s, except for manly which was a day tripping resort.

There was not much north of narrabeen until the 50s. The rock lily was a carriage stop where people got refreshments if they caught a coach to barrenjoey.

Lots of suburbs only appeared in the 60s. The street I grew up in at Allambie heights was new housing built on cleared bushland in the late 60s. Many houses were on pump out septic tanks until the late 70s when sewerage was finally put in.

all the above regarding the Manly Warringah area. In the 60's and 70's many working people bought houses on the northern beaches because there were many new subdivisions where working people came because it was relatively cheap due to being removed from Sydney with no train etc.

Manly itself up until the late 80's wasn't gentrified and in the 70's there were loads of boarding houses still on Wentworth Ave and it was nothing like it is now where most people have moved on or been priced out.

North Balgowlah, Seaforth, Narraweena and other suburbs had people relocated from inner Sydney, The Rocks etc into housing commission schemes. I met a bloke once whose family were relocated from Alexandria/Zetland way into North Balgowlah in the 1950's where they built besa block homes that the neighbours helped in building.

Roy Masters used the myth to motivate his team of half wits.

It has of course been yuppified like a lot of sydney mainly from the late 80's onwards.

The lazy and the thick still hate Manly.

They should focus on the Eastern Suburbs if they want to roll out the us v them bs.

.. whereas the truth is the 'working class' teams such as Newtown, Balmain, South Sydney, Western Suburbs, Canterbury Bankstown (Berries) were likely fleeced by their own administrations. But it's easier to talk ****e.

anyway we all know this.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6