Manly challenge too good to pass up: Cartwright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
New Sea Eagles assistant coach John Cartwright says while it was hard to say goodbye to a premiership-winning club up in Townsville the chance to move back to Sydney, work with Trent Barrett and join a historically successful club in their quest to re-enter finals territory was too good to pass up.

Cartwright was an assistant to Cowboys mentor Paul Green last year and he said Manly's new coach Barrett shares some similarities with Green.

"I've known Trent for a long time now. He's a very cool customer and he knows the game very well and he treats men as men and I think they're probably the three ingredients you need as a coach," Cartwright said at Manly's official 70th anniversary celebrations this week.

"He's got great support around him with guys like 'Bozo' [Bob Fulton], there's plenty of experience there, Peter Peters, guys that have been around the club a long time. My job's just to support him as best I can and I know he's the sort of guy I can offer my opinion and if he takes it or he doesn't there'll be no hard feeling and that's exactly how Greeny was up at Cowboys.

"Sometimes they take your advice and sometimes they don't but the thing is it will be an open forum and I'm sure we'll have plenty of good combinations."

Cartwright said there were a raft of factors that made a move down to Manly the perfect fit despite the chance to stay at the premiership-winning Cowboys – and central to that was the added responsibility he'd have in a smaller coaching staff.

"We don't have as many coaches on staff so [there is] a little bit more responsibility and it's a club – whilst a lot of people say they don't like Manly – that's normally born out of jealousy. They're a very tough club, very resilient and it was something that I really want to be a part of.

"To come back to Sydney too and see my family down here in Sydney, it's a little bit closer to the Gold Coast, it just all made sense.

"It is a bit of challenge - Manly missed the semis last year and I think that's a benchmark for everyone is to make semi-finals and we know what can happen once you get there. Good challenge, great crop of players and looking forward to working with Trent as well."

Cartwright is also looking forward to embracing the famous Manly mentality after having been on the other side of the fence as a player and coach for so long.

"After speaking to 'Baz' the bottom line for me was it's a club I've really always admired and really respected as a player and as a coach. From the outside looking in people either love or hate Manly but they've always seemed to be in some sort of drama but the team always performs. Coming back home as well, it was just too good an opportunity to refuse," he said.

A combination of a horror injury toll – especially early in the season – and a lack of impact in the forwards cruelled Manly's finals aspirations in 2015 but Cartwright said the addition of some exciting new recruits to an already skilled and experienced roster provided the right ingredients for success.

In particular, the emergence of Jake Trbojevic and return of Brenton Lawrence from injury coupled with the recruitment of Nate Myles, Marty Taupau and Darcy Lussick means Manly's middle has gone from one of the weakest to one of the strongest.

"As far as the modern game goes, the spine is very important. You look at the one we have there - the two hookers are very exciting they've brought to the club in Api [Koroisau] and Matty Parcell. The year he had in Queensland Cup, he's got NRL written all over him," Cartwright said.

"You've got Daly [Cherry-Evans] who's won a Churchill Medal, Brett Stewart, those four and whoever we come up with as a five-eighth – and there's plenty of options there – that's the key ingredient and that's covered. We're able to put very strong team around them - the experience of [Jamie] Lyon and [Steve] Matai, to add Darcy Lussick and Nate Myles and Taupau to the team, I think we're certainly going to have plenty of go-forward for the service players."

http://www.nrl.com/manly-challenge-...twright/tabid/10874/newsid/90789/default.aspx

Interesting he mentions Zorba, having never met the man I can only assume that he has an impressive nice side that he chooses to show to people but if he turns ... lookout!

Another fluff piece that I believe very little of, I don't doubt his desire to return to Sydney but as to the rest , pfft, he'd have gone to Penrith if offered a role there.

I've always admired Cartwright as a player and have met him up in tamworth years ago and he seems like a nice bloke . It's a whole new coaching staff and we can't be to critical until the're given a chance . It's the way it is .

Another fluff piece that I believe very little of, I don't doubt his desire to return to Sydney but as to the rest , pfft, he'd have gone to Penrith if offered a role there.
As a Professional coach Cartwright's desire is to succeed at our club and build up his profile to a high standard .
Anything positive that is said about our club is good stuff
Anything negative that is spread about our club is just pfft fluff
12002146_770994163026307_8911218320113131276_n.jpg

Interesting he mentions Zorba, having never met the man I can only assume that he has an impressive nice side that he chooses to show to people but if he turns ... lookout!
I have met Zorba and I can say that he is just like the rest of us . We all have our good and bad points and we all cant please everybody but not every body can please the people that count and that is why Zorba is still involved with our great club .

I have met Zorba and I can say that he is just like the rest of us . We all have our good and bad points and we all cant please everybody but not every body can please the people that count and that is why Zorba is still involved with our great club .
well you are working with him now he is a consultant...so keep sucking up his @rse...U may progress thru the ranks one day and be as useless as he is.
He is not like the rest of us, I take offence to that, he may be like you though

Having not met the rest of us how would you know that he is like us. Praise Allah.

well you are working with him now he is a consultant...so keep sucking up his @rse...U may progress thru the ranks one day and be as useless as he is.
He is not like the rest pf us, he may be like you though
I am not sucking up no ones ass . I am soaking up to the build up of another new and great Sea eagles era in 2016 .
I have no time for useless negativity and bitterness .
150093_10151269331377620_76418863_n1.jpg

Facts? After all the religious overtones in previous posts you now pushing your views as facts. That'll do me.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4