Manly chasing place amongst NRL greats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member

By By Steve Jancetic

AAP 4:16pm Sun 29th September, 2013

Manly's domination of the past decade is without question, but the Sea Eagles will be a chasing a place amongst the game's great dynasties with victory in Sunday's NRL grand final.

Read More

By By Steve Jancetic

AAP 4:16pm Sun 29th September, 2013

Manly's domination of the past decade is without question, but the Sea Eagles will be a chasing a place amongst the game's great dynasties with victory in Sunday's NRL grand final.

While the Sydney Roosters will go in search of the ultimate exclamation point to an outstanding season, for the Sea Eagles it will about adding to a legacy that has already netted the club two premierships and a runner-up medal over the past seven seasons.

Their one grand final loss in that time was to bitter rivals Melbourne - who would have fair claim to challenge the Sea Eagles as the best club since the turn of the century - had they not been stripped of two titles due to salary cap breaches.

The Sea Eagles have no such black mark on their record and Manly's run of nine consecutive finals appearances has left an indelible impression on Sunday's rivals.

"I still think they're the best team in the comp," Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce said of the Sea eagles.

"Hopefully we are after next week.

"What they've done the last ten years, they're as good as any team in history.

"They've kept that side together, under adversity they always turn up and play, they've got class all over the park.

"You want to challenge yourself against the best - it's going to be a great game."

While a win on Sunday would still leave the Sea Eagles a long way short of the likes of St George with 11 straight premierships - victory would make them the best since the powerful Brisbane sides of the 1990s, when the Broncos ran out a virtual Queensland Origin side.

Sea Eagles five-eighth Kieran Foran, one of 11 current players who were part of 2011 premiership team, said he was reluctant to compare the relative strength of different Manly squads throughout the current era.

Six players - Brett and Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite, Steve Matai and skipper Jamie Lyon - have been there for all three grand final appearances, while there are 26 grand final appearances in total throughout the squad.

That compares to just 15 for the Roosters - five of which belong to veteran fullback Anthony Minichiello.

But in an ominous warning for the Roosters, Foran indicated the Sea Eagles may be better prepared this year than they were when they won the title two years ago, when halfback Daly Cherry-Evans was a rookie and Foran himself was in just his third year in the top grade.

"It's always hard to compare sides, I played in the 2011 one and that was a great footy side," Foran said.

"If you're talking on experience, two years down the track we've probably got a bit more experience.

"It's a big advantage, there's no denying that we've got plenty of experience and we've got plenty of guys that have been there on this day before.

"But that counts for nothing next week if we don't come out and win the game.

"I know it's going to be a massive test ... we've just got to keep our minds on the job, we've still got 80 minutes to go."

The mantra was similar out of the Roosters camp, who have been forced to ignore claims the premiership was there's to lose.

"We've got to make sure we don't look too far forward - we haven't most of the year," five-eighth James Maloney said.

"There's been all sort of stories - we were chokers two weeks from the semis, then we were premiership favourites.

"There's been a lot said and we've managed to keep it a week at the time."

http://www.nrl.com/manly-chasing-place-amongst-nrl-greats/tabid/10874/newsid/74885/default.aspx

At one point this season I was thinking to myself that Snake, Matai, Lyon, Ballin, Watmough and Gift had a 3rd premiership in them but I didn't think it was going to be this year. But they have surprised me and here we are. Now Kite has the chance for 3rd title with us as well. If they win this week then how many titles do the older guys in our team have left in them?

Pittwater Legend said:
If they win this week then how many titles do the older guys in our team have left in them?

I'm going to worry about that sometime late Monday when the haze clears. :)

There's got to be an investigation into proofreading at nrl.com - somebody's got to be accountable for this...

The mantra was similar out of the Roosters camp, who have been forced to ignore claims the premiership was there’s to lose.

"There’s been a lot said and we’ve managed to keep it a week at the time."

Pittwater Legend said:
If they win this week then how many titles do the older guys in our team have left in them?

Assuming they stay with Manly, each player has a number of titles in them equal to the number of years they have remaining in their career.

Win or lose (and I think we are going to win), this era has got to put this team as one of the greats.

05 to 13. To be in the finals series that whole time. And then add to that:
4 GF appearances
2 (at least) premierships
1 Preliminary Final appearance

Since our brilliant team of the 70s, has any other team got figures to rival that?

Ah, grossly misleading article. Manly is THE most successful team for the past 40 years by a country mile. We are the greats with every other team playing catch-up.

Although just the 1 premiership, dominant during those 3 years. Not to mention the 4 premierships of the 70's. All said and done, by far the most successful club.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2