Manly facing Brett Stewart sacrifice to keep star halves together

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY'S struggle to keep its premiership-winning squad together is threatening to overshadow tonight's game against Wests Tigers, with speculation intensifying that former NSW fullback Brett Stewart and young prop Darcy Lussick could be the first players squeezed out to keep the club's all-star halves.

Read the full article

Another rehash of the article from last night. Its a hard decision for Toovey to pick between our young star half's and our veteran fullback.

You'd imagine the young halves would have priority. Another interesting battle, T-Rex vs Darcy. I'd say T-Rex wins that one. Put on a big strong pot of coffee, there will be some long hours put in at head office over the next few months.

Players are just a commodity these days who go to clubs who offer them the highest dollar. It's a shame that there's no more loyalty but we've become a very succesful club and it's the price we have to pay for our success.

Agree Swoop. Players look out for themselves and club officials look out for the club. The Tigers better look out tonight. Lyon is going to show the whole NRL community that Lawrence is his bitch. :p

Masked Eagle said:
I thought T-Rex was already locked in for 2 years?

Mate, i've given up thinking i know anything about players contracts. The media has finally zombified me and now i just ride the ebb and flow of the media ocean with either white hot hatred, or giggling stupidity depending on the Manly content of the article.

Go Manly!

Answer this very simple question.

You earn $300,000 pa, you have 4 years max left at an elite level.

A company offers you $600,000 pa to do what you love to do.

Insert answer __________________

You also have to remember the media destroyed Brett's image so i don't think he has been getting much in the way of 3rd party cash. I don't blame him to go for the most money for his last few years.

My gut feeling is that Brett will stay. This media hype is purely to drive up the best offer from the Eagles. We saw this with Matai and Watmough when they were negotiating a deal. Brett wants to stay, that I am certain of. He just wants as much money as he can get.
Can't blame him for that.

Eagles Terrorist said:

Inser answer __________________

Shoot Greenturd and runaway to live in the bush for a couple of years?

In 15mths we might be all rejoicing the moving
Of of Hasler, 2V going great, Snake may have
Moved on and the replacement might be the hottest thing in the NRL we have a great club and players will come, trust in the Management trainers scouts and coach, away from all the rumors I think they do a great job.
Sometimes you just can't pay overs for
Employees, no matter who they are when you have a cap, simple.

Masked Eagle said:
I thought T-Rex was already locked in for 2 years?

Correct. The author is a fool. He signed a new deal not long after the GF - will be at Manly until at least the end of 2013.

We all know that Brett is a fan-favourite, and was a breath of fresh-air during those first few seasons after the bad old Northern Eagles days. He holds a sentimental value with our fans, and let’s face it, he’s a class full-back. One of the best we’ve ever had. During those early days of his career, we were still ****e, but Stewart and BK helped re-energise the fans and the Club.

But…. if it's a choice between Foran/DCE and B.Stewart, then I'm afraid at this stage in their respective careers, Snake loses out. It's a shame, but that's the way it goes.

We should all just wait and see what happens and let’s hope it is not a distraction for tonight’s big game.

Cherry and Foz are the priority. It that simply. These two guys will make any average fullback look good. Especially with the T-Rex, Gift, Choc and Buhrer running around the edges. Its a Backs paradise !

Eagles Terrorist said:

Insert answer : My favourite colour is 3

globaleagle said:
Eagles Terrorist said:

Insert answer : My favourite colour is 3

You are a funny f*&ka Global. You been on the juice again:p

Oneyeagle said:
Cherry and Foz are the priority. It that simply. These two guys will make any average fullback look good. Especially with the T-Rex, Gift, Choc and Buhrer running around the edges. Its a Backs paradise !

That's a very attack oriented way to look at it.

For the value of Brett to the team you have to look at defence. He is the one that makes others look good in that aspect and it is that which will prove hard for a young bloke like Oldfield or Gutherson to live up to. If it does happen, I hope that the blood thirsty masses on here give a player a chance. You don't just put on a #1 jersey and become Brett Stewart. Not even Brett Stewart did that.

torana355 said:
You also have to remember the media destroyed Brett's image so i don't think he has been getting much in the way of 3rd party cash. I don't blame him to go for the most money for his last few years.

Bazinga

He will have limited oportunities to get big bucks in the Media when his career is over so he needs to get all the dollars he feels he deserves as a player.

If it wasn't for that case, he would of still been the golden boy of the comp.

byso said:
torana355 said:

Bazinga

He will have limited oportunities to get big bucks in the Media when his career is over so he needs to get all the dollars he feels he deserves as a player.

If it wasn't for that case, he would of still been the golden boy of the comp.

Sad but very true. In a lot of people's minds, he'll always be the guilty of a largely undefined crime, mostly due to the disgusting way the case was initially covered by the media. While mud seems to wash right off some (Matt Johns, for example), Brett's in the unenviable position of having absolutely nothing to apologise for. People know he's been treated badly but don't want to admit it.
I wish he could stay at Manly forever but will understand if he's forced to move on. He'll always be a Manly legend regardless.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2