Manly guilty of a great deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
WHEN Sonny Bill Williams walked out on manager Gavin Orr in 2008 to join Khoder Nasser and then storm out of the game, he said in an interview from the south of France he felt he was being grossly underpaid.

Read the full article

Andrew Webster said:
Greedy player managers are becoming a blight on the game.

^ This ^

Andrew Webster said:
As retired hooker Mark Riddell mused on Twitter: "Does Orr go to the clubs of his underperforming/overpaid players and negotiate contract discounts???"

No, he doesn't, Piggy.

There's no buck in that.

^ and this ^

The IC needs to have a review panel overseeing player manager accreditation. Both at time of registration and an ongoing annual basis.

Poor practices like these by Orr should have ramifications to his accreditation.

Best article I have read in a while.

How about this part:

Chief executives of other NRL clubs have been saying for months now that Orr has been shopping Cherry-Evans to them - not for 2014 but for next season.

When we're done suing Hasler, maybe we can get cracking on this guy for inducing breach of contract (a contract he negotiated himself no less!!).

I might be in the minority, but I hope Cherry keeps Orr. It seems Orr couldn't negotiate a good deal for his clients if his life depended on it. Cherry's price would only go up if he had a decent manager.

Normie said:
Just goes to show what an utter knob Orr is! Why would you want him as your manager??????

No parent in there right mind would allow there young bloke to be managed by him after this stuff up

I don't understand why these guys need "player managers". I cant remember which player it was that recently negotiated his own contract. He merely employed the services of a good solicitor for that - signed up and paid a fee to said solicitor (no ongoing annual cut). Then all they need is to employ a respected/experienced financial adviser (oxymoron I know) to help them manage their money wisely, again cheaper...especially with FOFA coming in

Respected financial advisers/accountants are thin on the ground. They seem so shy and unassuming, but will have your money in their account quickly. Best to take your solicitor with you to the accountant.

Quick accountant joke : What's an extroverted accountant? One that looks at your shoes while they're talking, and not their own.

voicefromthehill said:
I don't understand why these guys need "player managers". I cant remember which player it was that recently negotiated his own contract. He merely employed the services of a good solicitor for that - signed up and paid a fee to said solicitor (no ongoing annual cut). Then all they need is to employ a respected/experienced financial adviser (oxymoron I know) to help them manage their money wisely, again cheaper...especially with FOFA coming in

I'm pretty sure corey parker negotiated his last deal with the broncos that way.

Jatz Crackers said:
The IC needs to have a review panel overseeing player manager accreditation. Both at time of registration and an ongoing annual basis.

Poor practices like these by Orr should have ramifications to his accreditation.
Anyone who knows anyone in the game is aware of the appalling reputation player managers have. There must be a half-decent one somewhere, but as a group they are held in less esteem than used car salesmen, advertising executives, insurance companies, politicians, loan sharks, you name it.

I agree with Jatz. Get on it IC, an urgent task. The Player Association should have been doing something about that issue anyway, if it was even half fair dinkum.

If all you do is play footy, then why would you need a player manager? If you're a big star who has potential to earn off your image than maybe you need someone with some expertise at negotiating those sorts of deals, but not for footy.

Parents are worried their kids might get taken advantage of by clubs and that is the message these player managers send to the parents. They tell them if you don't have someone looking after you, your son won't get anything. Then the player manager ends up signing the kid up for the minimum and taking his cut out of that. They do this to as many kids as they can and they will never hear from them again unless they start making a name for themselves.

Cant hear much from the great CEO of teh NRL...Gallop.....Im sure he would be out and about if it were Billy Slater or Cronk or any other club bar Manly

Don't worry Gallop got himself a great contract. Heaps of money and can't be sacked for four years. Why should he worry?

DSM5 said:
Don't worry Gallop got himself a great contract. Heaps of money and can't be sacked for four years. Why should he worry?

He can be sacked. Just, not without a golden parachute payout.

Oh good Jatz, I thought he'd done an Orr, and left the parachute out. phew.

And the reason they need a manager is that most of them don't live with their mum.

twitchk said:
I'm pretty sure corey parker negotiated his last deal with the broncos that way.
that's right, that's who I was thinking about
Also remember Isaac Luke did it because he was in a dispute with..... You guessed it Orr. And a guy at work reckons Alan Tongue was more than a 1 club Fanta pants, he also negotiated his own contracts.

My missus reckons its like taking out a fixed mortgage. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But a contract is still a contract.

Got to give Orr credit though for burning down the hay shed and then blaming it on the existence of matches.

...but really great to find a journo not take at face value the words of an interested party. It's journalism 101.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6