Manly have faith: club anxious to secure favourite son Toovey for long haul

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-have-faith-club-anxious-to-secure-favourite-son-toovey-for-long-haul-20130925-2ueha.html
Manly have faith: club anxious to secure favourite son Toovey for long haul :)
September 26, 2013 Adrian Proszenko

Manly are poised to start contract extension discussions with coach Geoff Toovey in a huge show of faith leading into their grand final qualifier against South Sydney.

Toovey is signed until the end of next season but Sea Eagles powerbrokers are keen to secure him long-term. The club is set to form a retention committee to expedite the matter, with chief executive David Perry, chairman Scott Penn and board members Bob Reilly and Phil Sidney likely to be tasked with keeping Toovey on the northern beaches. The matter will be discussed at a board meeting on Thursday.

It is understood that some at the club are pushing for an extension of an additional two years to his current contract, while others are after just one.

Of the four coaches still in the play-off race, Toovey is the most unheralded. But his ability to again get the Sea Eagles, written off by many as being too old at the start of the year, into the finals is one of the coaching achievements of the year.

While Trent Robinson, Michael Maguire and Wayne Bennett all have claims for the Dally M coach of the year honours, Toovey could scoop them all if his side makes an unlikely grand final appearance.

When the former premiership-winning halfback took over at short notice after Des Hasler defected to Canterbury, many believed Manly's empire would crumble. But they have again made it to the penultimate game against the odds, defeating Cronulla after an arduous hit-out the previous week against Sydney Roosters.

Toovey is one of the club's favourite sons, a one-club man who guided the Sea Eagles to premiership success during his playing days. The news is a huge boost ahead of their clash with South Sydney at ANZ Stadium. Toovey was ropeable after their last encounter, complaining about several contentious refereeing decisions which went against his side.

''We were in a really good position to win it last time,'' said halfback Daly Cherry-Evans. ''There were a few things that went against us, whether it be the bounce of the ball or a few unfortunate decisions.
''I know we'll be putting ourselves in the right positions the next time we play them so we can get the result we're after.''

Halves partner Kieran Foran is confident Manly still has enough in the tank to overcome the Rabbitohs. ''You want to be there come grand final day. Everyone has got that burning desire to get there so of course you're going to find that bit extra,'' Foran said.

''As much as you're tired and been playing tough games, we've got to find that bit extra to put in a good performance against Souths.
''They are a huge side, they really test you physically and I think they've got some really good threats across the park.

''We're going to have to go up another level if we want to put in a good effort against them.''
Twitter - @proshenks

--------------------------------------------
What idiot at the Club would argue against 2V being Coach till 2016:huh:

Tooves needs to be re-signed ASAP. He has more than proved himself and continued on the work of the defector. He has been the glue that has kept the side together. The players love him and the team spirit we have is all about Tooves now.

It is an interesting mix of personalities on that panel.

I wonder what the decision making process is re no of years. Was this not one of the issues that occurred during the Des negotiation ?

CAMBO said:
Surely the club has learnt the lesson after how the bungled the resigning of des.
I think tooves deserves and additional 3 years after next year.

My message to our administration is clear don't stuff this up :)

Spot on CAMBO. Toovey is Manly to his bootlaces.

TWO DOGS said:
CAMBO said:
Surely the club has learnt the lesson after how the bungled the resigning of des.

SIGN HIM UP!

TWO DOGS said:
CAMBO said:

And we're thinking about this because.......?

Give the man a pen.

While every other club brings in "employees" to coach their side, Manly have always experienced the greatest success when the coach is Manly to the core (look away now Dogsler).

Have Manly ever won a premiership with an outsider in charge ?

Two more years should be the minimum.

Sign him up as quickly as possible. It's not like we have any other choice. Who would we ever replace him with??? The question has been asked quite a few times on here. ;)

Let's wait until he beats another top 4 side before we get too carried away.

I hope Toovey signs/stays - he's doing a great job - but not sure there is a massive rush on our part to tie him up long term. Is there a queue at the door of other options for him ??? Yes probably we thought the same with Des, but I'm not convinced Tooves is like Des and would run off in the middle of the night. Tooves isn't as highly regarded as Des was ( yet ) - just not sure its a mad rush.

Make the right call at the right time.

Chip and Chase said:

LOL. If you believe the media it's the new measure of greatness.

bven454l.jpg

HappilyManly said:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-have-faith-club-anxious-to-secure-favourite-son-toovey-for-long-haul-20130925-2ueha.html
Manly have faith: club anxious to secure favourite son Toovey for long haul :)
September 26, 2013 Adrian Proszenko

Manly are poised to start contract extension discussions with coach Geoff Toovey in a huge show of faith leading into their grand final qualifier against South Sydney.

Toovey is signed until the end of next season but Sea Eagles powerbrokers are keen to secure him long-term. The club is set to form a retention committee to expedite the matter, with chief executive David Perry, chairman Scott Penn and board members Bob Reilly and Phil Sidney likely to be tasked with keeping Toovey on the northern beaches. The matter will be discussed at a board meeting on Thursday.

It is understood that some at the club are pushing for an extension of an additional two years to his current contract, while others are after just one.

Of the four coaches still in the play-off race, Toovey is the most unheralded. But his ability to again get the Sea Eagles, written off by many as being too old at the start of the year, into the finals is one of the coaching achievements of the year.

While Trent Robinson, Michael Maguire and Wayne Bennett all have claims for the Dally M coach of the year honours, Toovey could scoop them all if his side makes an unlikely grand final appearance.

When the former premiership-winning halfback took over at short notice after Des Hasler defected to Canterbury, many believed Manly's empire would crumble. But they have again made it to the penultimate game against the odds, defeating Cronulla after an arduous hit-out the previous week against Sydney Roosters.

Toovey is one of the club's favourite sons, a one-club man who guided the Sea Eagles to premiership success during his playing days. The news is a huge boost ahead of their clash with South Sydney at ANZ Stadium. Toovey was ropeable after their last encounter, complaining about several contentious refereeing decisions which went against his side.

''We were in a really good position to win it last time,'' said halfback Daly Cherry-Evans. ''There were a few things that went against us, whether it be the bounce of the ball or a few unfortunate decisions.
''I know we'll be putting ourselves in the right positions the next time we play them so we can get the result we're after.''

Halves partner Kieran Foran is confident Manly still has enough in the tank to overcome the Rabbitohs. ''You want to be there come grand final day. Everyone has got that burning desire to get there so of course you're going to find that bit extra,'' Foran said.

''As much as you're tired and been playing tough games, we've got to find that bit extra to put in a good performance against Souths.
''They are a huge side, they really test you physically and I think they've got some really good threats across the park.

''We're going to have to go up another level if we want to put in a good effort against them.''
Twitter - @proshenks

--------------------------------------------
What idiot at the Club would argue against 2V being Coach till 2016:huh:

Probably one about 4 times Tooveys weight

simon64 said:
TWO DOGS said:
CAMBO said:

Have Manly ever won a premiership with an outsider in charge ?

Yes. Twice. In 2008 and 2011 we had an outsider from Penrith in charge.

Of course it's great news that we sign 2V to a contract, and I'm not suggesting he would contemplate ever breaking it. But, seriously, what are contracts worth in RL these days?
Now we read that Wayne Bennett may break his 4-year contract, after two years, and coach the 'Boys.
What's going on?

Tooves has transitioned well but the club has survived many big losses and recovered well.the board should do their job and not bend the rules for anyone. If tooves goes
there's always bozo.

They obviously didn't learn their lesson because Des was already signed at the dogs by this stage of his last contract (ie contracted till the end of next season)

Chip and Chase said:

Our board obviously forgotten how they lost Dessie.

Some want to give him one year others two years. No doubt he has KPI's as well?

Maybe we could just wait until he signs with another club and then after the grand final win in two weeks time we could try and re-sign him for a $1m a year more? Might be too late (again)

Terry-Randal said:
Tooves has transitioned well but the club has survived many big losses and recovered well.the board should do their job and not bend the rules for anyone. If tooves goes
there's always bozo.

And there is always Willo if all else fails

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8