Manly Marketing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
The bunny hugging hurl-fest both pre and post Grand Final has got me thinking about the marketing of the South Sydney and their competition opposites, Manly.

Rusty and his millions, plus his high profile constant promotion of the brand has finally worked its magic. The media soaked it up, as they have been doing for years, continuing the heartfelt (insert vomit) underdog story when the truth is, the current Souths are far from underdogs. They are not the battlers who were kicked out of the competition but are still promoted and glorified as such.

The way the NRL set up the Grand Final with the Glory, Glory bunny song belting out for ages followed by about a minute of “Who let the dogs out” was totally unfair. The dogs were the bit players in Channel Nines and the NRL’s rabbit loving sports drama.

Then there’s the Key to the City part. Are the Roosters a Sydney team? Obviously not, nor are Manly.

Now the Packers want a bite of the bunny cake and Smith will break the cap to see Sam.B return to the bunnies. Very fair Mr. Smith. I think the Glenn Stewart and the Manly club are applauding your compassion.

I think the subsequent bunny worship and carry-on will backfire slightly on the bunnies. There are 15 other clubs in this competition with real fans, as passionate about their clubs as any bunnies fan and most of these fans probably want to have a red and green hurl ATM.

To me the key to it all is the marketing. Rusty has the resources - $$$$$$ to promote the bunnies violin story and brand, and he has done this extremely well, in Australia, the US and UK, combined with signing GI and buying a flock of Burgi.

Now getting to Manly, we are never going to have a supporter base like the bunnies or any media support. We have a relatively small amount of extremely passionate fans and are the media’s enemy number one due to having money in the 70s.

My question is, how can the club with limited financial resources promote some positive marketing for this great team to ensure that once a kid’s a Manly fan, he/she is a fan for life and possibly increase our supporter base within the local area and beyond? To survive in the long run I believe positive marketing of the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles is essential.

How can the Manly club achieve this? Please share your thoughts.

Sensible post points?:D

Go Manly!

I can't wait for gifts to be squeezed out of lol@souffs to accommodate a returning Sam B.

I think it's a lost cause.

I really felt that when we moved into the new millennium that what happened in the 70's would be forgotten. Even more so when journos like Masters retired ( although he's still going), BUT the modern journos have carried the batton on.

And whilst I love it we are now more famous for the " Guess What" and " No one likes us " signs than for anything else.

They could get the smartest marketing guru ever involved and it would make zero difference.

All we can do is " embrace the hate"!!

hugh jackman could do more if he is a real fan. did a whole bloody jersey after the character that made him millions....and not even a tweet about it.

Plus, we should get more info out about memberships.

Plus plus I reckon we should go on a roll about being the 'league battlers'....if souffs can still do the pride of the league b/s surely we can blow away the silvertails tag as we actually don't have the $$$$$ of the rorters and souffs.

I truly think Manly has always been the thinking person's football team and always will be.

As for Souths, I think the Packer money will work against them. They've been everyone's second team for a long time because they've won Nada. Now that that's changed they'll just be like everyone else. I also see a bit of class warfare coming for them. In my work I drive around the Eastern Suburbs and Redfern area quite a bit. This past week I have to say I've felt great for all the Aboriginal people and the remaining housos I've seen in the Redfern area proudly wearing their Bunnies jerseys. On the contrary. I've been totally appalled by the number of Mercedes SUVs and the like, blatantly flying their South Sydney flags like they have anything in common with the core of the club. It's been driving me nuts

As I said in another thread, it could not be clearer that we are no longer the Silvertails. Now we take a seat at the back behind the likes of the Bunnies, Roosters, Bulldogs, Broncos, etc.

So marketing wise, I'd hate to become one of the new shiny, shiny brands that have no substance other than a bunch of dosh. I think Manly naturally attracts good people. : )

Having said that, I'd really like the warring owners to sell to Mr Kaspersky so we could compete financially, not to mention without factionalism wreaking havoc.

Mark from Brisbane said:
They could get the smartest marketing guru ever involved and it would make zero difference.

All we can do is " embrace the hate"!!
I agree with embracing the hate. As a kid and teenager I actually used to felt a bit down about all the Manly hate.
For the past 20 years it's more like, bring it on!

I do think marketing can help us - not with the media, forget those tools who weren't even born when Manly had money and actually were Silvertails. We don't need them.
But we need more on board to 'embrace the hate' with us.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
So marketing wise, I'd hate to become one of the new shiny, shiny brands that have no substance other than a bunch of dosh. I think Manly naturally attracts good people. : )

Totally agree with your whole post. The worst thing Manly could do would be to become one of rugby league's polished shiny things but to promote Manly from the inside, for what they are, a quality, successful football team with players who do good work in the community and beyond, could only be a good thing.

bloody masters and his silvertails b/s...the irony being wests were the sivertails before manly.

nothing we can do????? typical qld quitter talk!

We first of all need an effective media strategy and a good front person to promote the club and also manage the media coverage.

My perception is that since Zorba and Neil Evans have left we do not have a person (that is a media manager) out there on the front foot and that has to some extent effected our relationship with the media.

They have in return bucketed crap upon us from a far height and we did not really 'fight back' or manage the coverage at all.

I just know, I could not believe the 2015 membership again carried the "stronger together." after the year that has been, I thought that one should have been placed in the bin.

Cliffy said:
I just know, I could not believe the 2015 membership again carried the "stronger together." after the year that has been, I thought that one should have been placed in the bin.

Maybe we should be courageous and make it officially.....

"No one likes us and we don't care!"

?

Cliffy said:

It's my first year as a member so the "stronger together" didn't seem to play out.
But despite what has gone on beyond the Gifty saga "stronger together" is what Manly needs to be and is our only chance for long term survival, so I don't necessarily disagree with using it again.
This year Manly didn't seem to get it right but it's what needs to happen. Players, board members, the club and fans need to at least 'present' as strongly united.
Over to you now, 2015 Sea Eagles. Live up to it.

lsz said:
Bozo if we are smart then there is no geographical limit
Well said Isz and it would be also nice to conquer the whole North of Sydney as well

Lsz has pm'ed me to ask me to tell everyone that it is LSZ and not ISZ!!!!!!

(nah he didn't but it's still lsz)

globaleagle said:
Cliffy said:

?

I really can't see the point of appealing only to to the loners and rejects (or perhaps just get a sniper rifle or euthanasia drug sponsor :) ). Let's totally lose that trope.

What is manly? Beach, aussie, fun, fit, mateship (lol).

Look to getting the players as community leaders / role models / heroes. Promote the team and club with the competitions best lifestyle.

My 2.2 cents (inc gst)

weev said:
globaleagle said:
Cliffy said:

?

I really can't see the point of appealing only to to the loners and rejects (or perhaps just get a sniper rifle or euthanasia drug sponsor :) ). Let's totally lose that trope.

What is manly? Beach, aussie, fun, fit, mateship (lol).

Look to getting the players as community leaders / role models / heroes. Promote the team and club with the competitions best lifestyle.

My 2.2 cents (inc gst)

well i did mention the whole hugh jackman angle in an earlier post but no one cared!

no one cared about my post...and I don't care!

push it up GE!!!!!

Every club has a distinct culture.. and Manly should market to their strengths..

For the last few years, the sea eagles have been known for their commitment, hard working playing group and never say die attitude. I can remember reading Tommy 'cattle dog' stating Manly were a real football team.. tough and physical. Recent positive media commentary was from Paul Kent.. "Manly are just a tough footy side, they never go away.."

Apart from the last few games this campaign, the dogs final was a proud return to this benchmark.. 4x 80min forwards missing = courage..

Its clear if you would like to change the marketing message.. the approach should mirror this.. of course the petty Watmough rubbish has had a negative effect but regardless the fact remains, this is what our club is built on.

It is a real shame bunnies played tough through the end of 2014, cause we may be in danger of gifting (pardon the pun) them this marketing hook?

Thoughts guys..?

The question is

Are you trying to convert new supporters or appeal to current latent supporters

League is a tribal game so I would suggest the later is your broad target market

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2