Manly must re-sign classy halves: Krilich

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly must re-sign classy halves: Krilich

FORMER Manly and Australia captain Max Krilich has encouraged the club to use the next two weeks to focus on tying down Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans -- even if it ends up costing the Sea Eagles some of their other high-profile stars.

Having failed in their bid to win the World Club Challenge, the premiers jetted back into Sydney yesterday morning to prepare for the opening game of their title defence against the Warriors in two weeks.

The priority before then will be to sort out the future of several big names coming off contract, the most notable being Foran. The Sea Eagles are also intent on extending the contract of Cherry-Evans, who has another year to run on the deal he signed before he won rookie of the year honours and graduated to the Australian side.

Keeping those two, however, will come at a cost and could lead to some high-profile departures. Fullback Brett Stewart and back- rower Tony Williams are among those in danger of being squeezed out. Young prop Darcy Lussick also has offers on the table from rival clubs, but has told Manly officials his preference is to stay.

Masked Eagle said:
Napper said:
Didnt trex sign for another 2yrs before xmas?

Apparently T Rex's contract isn't a straight 2 year deal. Its a 1+1 year deal with the clause in his favour if he stays or goes.

What's up with all these clause deals with our club? Our halves are a must. Would hate to lose T-Rex as well. Would hate to lose anyone really, but these things happen.

Foz, Turtle and brett are all key to our team we have to keep them all

Foran, DCE, Jamie Lyon, Glenn Stewart and Brett Stewart are the core the rest can be played with to a degree but that 5 and Watmough if we have them all fit we will always be contenders.

1. Snake
3.Lyon
6.Foz
7.DCE
12.Glenn
13.Choc
14.Buhrer
The team must be built around these 7 players for the next few years. Other players are all replacable, these guys are the core.

dowdz said:
Masked Eagle said:
Napper said:
Didnt trex sign for another 2yrs before xmas?

Apparently T Rex's contract isn't a straight 2 year deal. Its a 1+1 year deal with the clause in his favour if he stays or goes.

What's up with all these clause deals with our club? Our halves are a must. Would hate to lose T-Rex as well. Would hate to lose anyone really, but these things happen.
I can only imagine it is because of the looming TV deal and expected upgrade of the salary cap.

A way around this would be to guarantee a contract rise of the same % as the salary cap increase which I read somewhere that other clubs have done.

Shoe1 said:
How do you know about trex's contract? I can't find a copy of it.

I read it in the Australian a few weeks ago. Here is the snippet from the article.

"Foran is not the only Sea Eagle in the Bulldogs' sights. The Australian understands the Bulldogs have targeted prop Darcy Lussick and Australian back rower Tony Williams. Williams signed a contract extension at the end of last season but has an option at the end of next year in his favour."

That's a little bit unclear about his actual contract reading it now. Its either a 1+1 or 2+1 contract for T Rex.

Masked Eagle said:
Shoe1 said:
How do you know about trex's contract? I can't find a copy of it.

I read it in the Australian a few weeks ago. Here is the snippet from the article.

"Foran is not the only Sea Eagle in the Bulldogs' sights. The Australian understands the Bulldogs have targeted prop Darcy Lussick and Australian back rower Tony Williams. Williams signed a contract extension at the end of last season but has an option at the end of next year in his favour."

That's a little bit unclear about his actual contract reading it now. Its either a 1+1 or 2+1 contract for T Rex.

I understood it ( only from other media reports ) that it was like the 1 + 1 scenario but would happily be proved wrong.

I have Williams further up my list of priorities going forward than some other peoples - partly due ot his age & mostly because his improvement last year was off the charts. He is unrecognizable in some ways from the player of 2010 and is poised to approach the superstar levels if he continues that upward rise. Some of the older players deserve retention ....but I personally would focus on Lussick, Williams, Foran and Cherry...guys with 8 or 9 years footy left with any luck. Thats you new core.

I think DCE will become the most valuable player in the competition within two seasons, having a similar influence to that of Joey Johns. Therefore, to me, he is the no. 1 priority, even if we have to lose others.
All 17 Manly players would be eagerly sought by opposition teams, and I dare say all would command salaries higher than they are currently receiving.
If Hoppa Jnr is worth $800,000 in Parra dollars, then we'd have six or seven players worth more. But Parra dollars are heavily devalued against real currency. You play there and take the money and run . . . and hide.

Would be a dream to keep all the stars but unfortunately - it literally is a dream....
Agree The Who that DCE is the priority, though the impact B. Stewart has on this team is massive & bad knee or anything else he would be 2nd priority for mine.
Foz & Gifty are obviously up there also, but I have a firm belief that if the players are not keen to represent that Seaeagles emblem with pride & prefer to be elsewhere - so be it. Theres nothing that decimates a club more quickly than high profile players spreading a contagious disharmony through the ranks.
In saying that most of these rumours appear to be beatups by beatoffs.

MK Eagle said:
Would be a dream to keep all the stars but unfortunately - it literally is a dream....
Agree The Who that DCE is the priority, though the impact B. Stewart has on this team is massive & bad knee or anything else he would be 2nd priority for mine.
Foz & Gifty are obviously up there also, but I have a firm belief that if the players are not keen to represent that Seaeagles emblem with pride & prefer to be elsewhere - so be it. Theres nothing that decimates a club more quickly than high profile players spreading a contagious disharmony through the ranks.
In saying that most of these rumours appear to be beatups by beatoffs.

I'm sure almost all the players that leave Manly is for the money, not because they are unhappy. While other clubs throw ludicrous money at our players (Hoppa Jrn is the most obvious example) it will continue and you can't blame the players.

Don't be suprised if Gift is released at years end so he can go with Brett. That'll free up some $$$ for next years cap

If either brother ever played against Manly it would be a crying shame. Having said that, when Bozo left it was the unthinkable, yet we soon bounced back to win a comp. The business aspect of the modern game is quite ruthless, it's been that way for a long time and it aint changing anytime soon.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6