Manly pride of the league..........

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
History of success from Manly Sea Eagles gives them claims to South Sydney's pride of the league tag

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2013

THE 100-year reign may be over. Manly now has claims to pinch South Sydney’s time-honoured title of being Pride of the League.

It is a suggestion that will astonish Rabbitohs fans as the two teams prepare for Friday night’s massive grand final qualifier at ANZ Stadium.

Here though is proof Manly is the outstanding team in rugby league.

In Manly’s past 45 years in existence, the Sea Eagles have made the finals 36 times - an extraordinary achievement.

Success, it would appear, is built into the club’s DNA.

Canterbury run a distant second, making the play-offs 23 times in that period. Souths have made the finals 15 times over that time.

Manly’s success rate in reaching the finals over 45 years stands at a whopping 80 per cent. The Northern Eagles years were not considered.

Asked could Manly now be Pride of the League, Sea Eagles godfather Ken Arthurson said: “In my view they are but I might be bias and I do respect Souths.

"But Manly’s record speaks for itself. They have been an outstanding club since admitted in 1947.

"It was an amazing record."

Asked why Manly was so successful, Arthurson said: "We have instilled a culture of being loyal and standing by each other. We stand by each other through thick and thin.

Geoff Toovey and the Manly side are confident fullback Brett Stewart can make a timely return for their preliminary final against South Syd...

"And I believe that has stuck with Manly to this day."

The title of Pride of the League was given to Souths back in the 1920s.

Souths have won 20 premierships to Manly’s eight. The Rabbitohs have though been in the competition 39 years longer.

Manly has won at least one premiership in each of the past five decades.

"Manly’s success has been built on team spirit and the feeling of the place, the environment here," said Manly coach Geoff Toovey.

"It is a fantastic place to live away from football. It’s not always about football.

"We have also had a lot of talented players and a lot of committed people away from the team. They have all been part of that success."

Asked would he remind his side on Thursday night of Manly’s wonderful history, Toovey said: "I haven’t at the current moment but they are aware of the history.

"At the moment they are living their own dreams and creating their own success and history, which is important.

"They are doing that for next generation.

"What this group of players have achieved over the past decade here has been wonderful. The last three or four years have been great.

"They will continue that tradition and hopefully the next group of players will do the same."

Manly’s legendary former fullback, Graham ‘Wombat’ Eadie, gave his reasons why the club was so successful.

"It’s the culture, history and spirit in the club," Eadie said. "It seems to go back to the 1960s and ‘70s.

"I think it also has something to do with the fact a lot of our coaches are former Manly players. Fulton, Toovey, Hasler, Stanton, Willey. ‘Ray Ritchie has made the 1982 grand final."

Manly skipper Jamie Lyon said team spirit going into Friday night’s game was exceptional.

"(The success) is probably just an indication of the side we have got and the players we have got and how well we get on," Lyon said.

"We just have a great bunch that have been here for quite a while and we love to play alongside each other.

"I think the club has done a great job to keep the majority of everyone together whereas you look at other clubs and they seem to lose quite a few of their big name players."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/history-of-success-from-manly-sea-eagles-gives-them-claims-to-south-sydneys-pride-of-the-league-tag/story-fndv31ch-1226727132621

Wow, from the Telecrap as well.

We knew this all along. Nice to see people are finally getting it.

Since 1970, no one has matched our overall record. In the 70s we were an absolute powerhouse and every decade since we have always had competitive teams apart from the dark days either side of the northern eagles fiasco.

The most hated tag has been well earnt, Manly still put fear into other teams.

This in the C-M isn't too bad either. Has a few inaccuracies though that most Manly fans will pick up. I'm pretty sure Wests were face slapping each other before Boyd, Brown & Dorahy signed with Manly not after. Manly didn't take Jamie Lyon from Parra. Manly didn't grab very many players from England or RU at all over the years. As for 1947's birth of Manly being the downfall of Norths in 1999, that's a bit of a stretch. On 2nd thoughts, maybe this article isn't that good!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-thrive-on-our-collective-hate/story-fniabksc-1226727269417

Manly Sea Eagles just love being the club we all hate

Grantlee Kieza
The Courier-Mail
September 26, 2013

swoop said:
History of success from Manly Sea Eagles gives them claims to South Sydney's pride of the league tag

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2013

THE 100-year reign may be over. Manly now has claims to pinch South Sydney’s time-honoured title of being Pride of the League.

It is a suggestion that will astonish Rabbitohs fans as the two teams prepare for Friday night’s massive grand final qualifier at ANZ Stadium.

In Manly’s past 45 years in existence, the Sea Eagles have made the finals 36 times - an extraordinary achievement.

Canterbury run a distant second, making the play-offs 23 times in that period. Souths have made the finals 15 times over that time.

Manly’s success rate in reaching the finals over 45 years stands at a whopping 80 per cent. The Northern Eagles years were not considered.

Asked could Manly now be Pride of the League, Sea Eagles godfather Ken Arthurson said: “In my view they are but I might be bias and I do respect Souths.

"But Manly’s record speaks for itself. They have been an outstanding club since admitted in 1947.

Asked why Manly was so successful, Arthurson said: "We have instilled a culture of being loyal and standing by each other. We stand by each other through thick and thin.

Geoff Toovey and the Manly side are confident fullback Brett Stewart can make a timely return for their preliminary final against South Syd...

Souths have won 20 premierships to Manly’s eight. The Rabbitohs have though been in the competition 39 years longer.

"Manly’s success has been built on team spirit and the feeling of the place, the environment here," said Manly coach Geoff Toovey.

"It is a fantastic place to live away from football. It’s not always about football.

"We have also had a lot of talented players and a lot of committed people away from the team. They have all been part of that success."

Asked would he remind his side on Thursday night of Manly’s wonderful history, Toovey said: "I haven’t at the current moment but they are aware of the history.

"At the moment they are living their own dreams and creating their own success and history, which is important.

"What this group of players have achieved over the past decade here has been wonderful. The last three or four years have been great.

"They will continue that tradition and hopefully the next group of players will do the same."

Manly’s legendary former fullback, Graham ‘Wombat’ Eadie, gave his reasons why the club was so successful.

"It’s the culture, history and spirit in the club," Eadie said. "It seems to go back to the 1960s and ‘70s.

"I think it also has something to do with the fact a lot of our coaches are former Manly players. Fulton, Toovey, Hasler, Stanton, Willey. ‘Ray Ritchie has made the 1982 grand final."

Manly skipper Jamie Lyon said team spirit going into Friday night’s game was exceptional.

"(The success) is probably just an indication of the side we have got and the players we have got and how well we get on," Lyon said.

"We just have a great bunch that have been here for quite a while and we love to play alongside each other.

"I think the club has done a great job to keep the majority of everyone together whereas you look at other clubs and they seem to lose quite a few of their big name players."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/history-of-success-from-manly-sea-eagles-gives-them-claims-to-south-sydneys-pride-of-the-league-tag/story-fndv31ch-1226727132621

Dean Ritchie is a top bloke. I've always said that. :s

Trying to get Souths Under the radar, Dean? Trying to put the pressure on us? Won't work. lol

swoop said:

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2013

Huge back-handed compliment if you ask me. Seemed positive at first, then slowly descended into the usual rhetoric. At least we know the truth...

Nothing more than a troll on Souths supporters (or more accurately click baiting..)

Brissie Kid said:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-thrive-on-our-collective-hate/story-fniabksc-1226727269417

Manly Sea Eagles just love being the club we all hate

Years ago, when I covered games at Brookvale Oval, a lady who lived near it the ground complained that fans from Sydney’s northern beaches would park across her manicured lawn.

She always wanted me to put my car in her driveway to block them in.

She hated Manly, too. And she lived there.

Christina Kirsch?

On NRL360, Ben Ikin &
Brett but,Kimorley but, gave Manly a big Rap.
They said Manly were footballers & not athletes being footballers.
About time we got some recognition.

Ikin gives Manly lots of raps. He is the only other person, apart from myself that seems to agree with me (granted...we were both slightly pissed) that Manly are just like the Qld origin side. Tough, never say die and play the whole 80mins.

Beware the reporter with a hand behind his back...

Why did the story need a Souths reference? None of our guys spoke of them and I would guess they simply referred to our culture. Not one would have made a 'Pride of..' comment or perhaps was even asked it. Certainly doesn't appear in their responses.

The obvious 'dig' at Souths is not only to fire up their fans, but now gives the piece pride of place on the Rabbits changeroom wall, for motivation.

Now if the reporter knew the rules when Manly joined the comp it had Resident Rules.
We didn't take the Bears players they lived in our area - thus making them Manly players.Bears knew this at the time.
Ken Irvine walked out on the Bears after a massive falling out with Roy Francis and ended up at Manly.

Apparently nobody ever moved to the Sea Eagles willingly. They were all bribed or stolen. Thus the club's successes can be explained.

eagles2win said:
Now if the reporter knew the rules when Manly joined the comp it had Resident Rules.
We didn't take the Bears players they lived in our area - thus making them Manly players.Bears knew this at the time.
Ken Irvine walked out on the Bears after a massive falling out with Roy Francis and ended up at Manly.

Well of course everybody loves the Broncos don't they? Why wouldn't you love a club that has a city of 2 million + to itself, not to mention an almost guaranteed 7 day break between games, week in week out?

And what do you expect from a Souths supporter with an improbably stupid and boganesque name like Grantlee? Accuracy? His bio of Bert Hinkler, which came out last year, was full of howlers.

TO be honest, I have been finding a lot of funny articles which would seem to serve one purpose. To Rev up the souths players. The funniest one I remember reading was one in the SMH where the headline stated Cherry evans doesn't rate Reynolds, or something along the lines. In the content, there was nothing quoted from cherry-evans and the only thing that was found was quotes from him complimenting Pearce and how he doesn't care who plays halfback for NSW as he is a QLDer

Brissie Kid said:
Apparently nobody ever moved to the Sea Eagles willingly. They were all bribed or stolen. Thus the club's successes can be explained.

If that's the explanation how come the Bulldogs on their way to back to back this season?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4