Manly Reveal grand designs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
[attachment=180]Sorry guys computer running really bad.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-reveal-grand-designs-20111001-1l2pk.html#ixzz1ZhrhsK2H

WAMF said:
I like this .......

Thanks WAMF much better. Work computer is not the best lol. I like it as well. Here's hoping it can happen

Saw this the other week.

From a Bulldogs fans perspective, I don't really like it.

Sorry to sound negative, but I actually put Brookvale up there with Leichardt as two of the best ovals to watch footy at.

This design makes it look a little like Centerbet Stadium in Penrith.

Brookvale's big positive is the awesome sweeping family hill (reminds me of Belmore Sports Ground a bit). It just a little too *closed in* for me.

However allowing the walking path around the ground is a great idea!

MrInvisible said:
Saw this the other week.

From a Bulldogs fans perspective, I don't really like it.

Sorry to sound negative, but I actually put Brookvale up there with Leichardt as two of the best ovals to watch footy at.

This design makes it look a little like Centerbet Stadium in Penrith.

Brookvale's big positive is the awesome sweeping family hill (reminds me of Belmore Sports Ground a bit). It just a little too *closed in* for me.

However allowing the walking path around the ground is a great idea!

In the past I would have agreed with you. However, gone are the days of old facilities like Leichhardt. Even Belmore has had to get an upgrade. It would suck to lose the hill but this looks good enough for me to cave and agree to the plan.

It's not an upgrade. That is a complete rebuild. Waste of money.
All they need to do is put a Newcastle style stand on the Western side & maybe another Arko style stand in the South East corner.

Duff said:
All they need to do is put a Newcastle style stand on the Western side & maybe another Arko style stand in the South East corner.

Somehow I don't think a stand on the western side of Brooky, the size of the ones at Newcastle, would go down well with the vocal minority in the Brookvale valley.

It's only a concept, but clearly the Jane Try will be extended to the north, which is happening soon, and will hopefully extend skyward. Note that the roof of that stand is at the same height as the Ken Arthurson Stand. The plan of management has long allowed for this to occur.

It makes sense to have higher capacity stands to the south, which don't overshadow anyone's front lawn, and to the east, where the people on that side seem more comfortable with an expanded Brookvale Oval than the precious Johnny-come-lately's in the valley.

Phantar said:
It's only a concept, but clearly the Jane Try will be extended to the north, which is happening soon, and will hopefully extend skyward. Note that the roof of that stand is at the same height as the Ken Arthurson Stand. The plan of management has long allowed for this to occur.

You can't really see it unless you blow the pics up to A3 size, but these drawings actually show the Jane Try Stand roof as it currently is, ie lower than the Arko Stand roof. The existing Plan of Management specifically forbids the Jane Try roof going any higher than its current height. Of course, it is a moot point as a new Plan of Management will be adopted as part of this process and that plan will remove that height restriction.

No doubt the final stage of the master plan will be to knock down that Arko and Jane Try stands and continue the new structure along the western side which would give us a truly magnificent stadium (as you would expect from a complete rebuild). Presumably they are holding back on showing this so as not to raise the ire of the Alfred Road residents at this stage and also because that step will require another $30 or $40 million so no sense muddying the waters with that just yet.

All Manly fans really need to get behind this, even if you love the Hill and wish Brookie could remain as is, because you can be guaranteed that if something headed in this direction doesn't happen (or at least start to happen) then very soon Brookie Oval won't be our home ground any more and I am not convinced Manly will be the same club once we are playing out of the SFS or somewhere else.

Phantar said:
Duff said:

Somehow I don't think a stand on the western side of Brooky, the size of the ones at Newcastle, would go down well with the vocal minority in the Brookvale valley.

It makes sense to have higher capacity stands to the south, which don't overshadow anyone's front lawn, and to the east, where the people on that side seem more comfortable with an expanded Brookvale Oval than the precious Johnny-come-lately's in the valley.

The hill is still there, the plans take away the kids bit of the hill which is a blessing in disguise as one day a kid will get seriously hurt there like a penrith fan did this year

The Eagle said:
Phantar said:
Duff said:

The hill is still there, the plans take away the kids bit of the hill which is a blessing in disguise as one day a kid will get seriously hurt there like a penrith fan did this year

I know its a concept but if you look at it the hill is half gone, so no its not still there. Basically the way it looks is anyone that goes with a blanket gets their seat on the hill. Anyone that currently stands will either have to get covered seating or are relegated to the family hill.

The only reason I agree with the look of this is because with seating our supporters groups can control who the numpties are in our area and what they get up to. Without a defined area for the supporters group there is no way to stop randoms from hanging around and causing trouble like happens at times currently on the Hill.

Some people are strangely looking at this the wrong way... The new stand replaces the Fulton-Menzies stand and runs along the hill. (Opposite the Jane Try)

The Family hill is the only area left as is.

Now I love the hill - I stand on it, I think it is part of the culture at Brookvale. That said I love the club more.

We are told to make any money, to be viable the club needs to have 9000 undercover seats. There are two options here, 1. We build a new stand at brookvale, allowing us to sell more season memberships, and attract more fans who will come to the game despite bad weather. Option 2. is a move to the SFS.

Tell me people where is the hill at the SFS? Cause that is the option, either we can do something with Brookvale that keeps us in the place, able to make ends meet, or we pack up and head to the city. Staying the same, is not an option.

Truth is that if you want to keep the hill, that's fine, but the only teams you will be watching play there will be Manly-Vale and Narraweena, oh and perhaps a single Trial game each year.

Jono said:
The Eagle said:
Phantar said:
Duff said:

I know its a concept but if you look at it the hill is half gone, so no its not still there. Basically the way it looks is anyone that goes with a blanket gets their seat on the hill. Anyone that currently stands will either have to get covered seating or are relegated to the family hill.

The only reason I agree with the look of this is because with seating our supporters groups can control who the numpties are in our area and what they get up to. Without a defined area for the supporters group there is no way to stop randoms from hanging around and causing trouble like happens at times currently on the Hill.

This is where an arrangement between the club and supporter groups like MWTS would be great say 200 seats reserved all together or better still only that section for Manly fans

I would prefer that they develop the northern end of the ground with a massive stadium and leave the Hill on the eastern side as is.
They have done this at WIN Stadium.

me too Mr Who

There is a 50m wide park up that end that keeps greenspace before the houses.

The Who said:
I would prefer that they develop the northern end of the ground with a massive stadium and leave the Hill on the eastern side as is.
They have done this at WIN Stadium.

Easier to sell expensive tickets that are on the halfway line than behind the goal posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6