Manly Sea Eagles forward Darcy Lussick in strong demand

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
February 21, 201212:00AM

HE is just 22 years old and has never started an NRL game but Manly's Darcy Lussick is the hottest forward prospect coming off contract this year.

Lussick is being chased by Phil Gould, Des Hasler, Anthony Griffin, Brian Smith, Steve Kearney, Geoff Toovey and Craig Bellamy - and has already met with some of league's biggest names.

He has played just seven NRL games, each coming off the bench. Lussick only debuted in round 14 last year and is averaging 26 minutes of game time each week.

Parramatta is a club rumoured to be ready to outlay huge money for Lussick, suspended for three games late last year for his involvement in the "Battle of Brookvale".

Canterbury also fancy their chances given Lussick has a good relationship with former Manly and new Bulldogs coach Des Hasler.

One source close to Lussick said: "Manly will be hard-pressed to keep him." Lussick returns to Sydney this morning with the Manly side who contested last weekend's World Club Challenge in Leeds.

Meanwhile Lussick's Sea Eagles have drifted significantly in betting from $7 to $11 for the 2012 title.

"No-one wants to back them," said TAB Sportsbet media manager Matt Jenkins.

"The Sea Eagles opened $7 just after winning the grand final but punters haven't been enthused with their preparations for the upcoming season."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-forward-darcy-lussick-in-strong-demand/story-e6frexnr-1226276416471

It's the price we play for being a succesfull club, I would of thought that we may of let Kite go and save dollars for soe of our young guns.

Although a top young kid, and i hope we keep him, i think he needs to turn the agro down a notch. When he finds that balance between aggressive toughness and smart footballer, the sky will be the limit. Potential to burn!
$11 is good odds i think. Time to jump on!!

No doubt he has the ability, i think we will lose him though. Can't sign them all, and we must be close to cap limit. This may sound bad, but signing Kite, King and Joe may cost us a good young forward. I will jump on the $11 though.

Sign him now, with DCE and Foran.

Whatever happens with the rest happens, these three will ensure our long term success.

Dont bet yet, we could lose our first 2 matches and blow out to $15.00.

bob dylan said:
Sign him now, with DCE and Foran.

Whatever happens with the rest happens, these three will ensure our long term success.

Agree with Mr Zimmerman. He's a local junior, Manly through and through, and we need to keep him along with DCE and Foran. I just hope we've got some space in the cap.

swoop said:
It's the price we play for being a successful club, I would of thought that we may of let Kite go and save dollars for soe of our young guns.

No, it's the price we pay for letting Hasler control "everything"

Hasler new early last season he wasn't staying so he deliberately tied up our cap $$$ with older players.

Every player has a heavily back ended deal. We're already over the cap for 2013 so unless it's upgraded big time by the IC we're in trouble.

Get a good look at the team this year Ladies & Gents because it's going to look a whole lot different by the end on 2013

Yet another of zorba's articles recycled by Ritchie. This is a rehash of zorba's Saturday manly daily article. Nothing new here and no prizes for guessing who the "source close to manly" is. C'mon Ritchie do some work of your own.

I am a massive fan of Lussicks but cant help but think the hype has overtaken the reality in this case. The potential is huge but are we really in a position to gamble "elite player" dollars on him. Dont get me wrong, I think after DCE and Foran he is our NO 1 retention target but the hype on him has come a bit soon & is gonna cost us I fear.

As for the earlier post about Hasler signing players ( like Kite and King for example ) to another few years before disappearing into the sunset and then poaching Lussick...yes I have similar fears.

The hype is similar to that of JWH and we have all watched him become average at the chooks. I understood Lussick was filthy with Des for leaving him out of the GF team. If true, I would be surprised to see him at the dishlickers.

We need Beaver to have a chat with him and explain the benefits of being a one team man.

"Parramatta is a club rumoured to be ready to outlay huge money for Lussick, suspended for three games late last year for his involvement in the "Battle of Brookvale"....I'm surprised Parramatta has huge money available. They must be close to the cap with their over the odds payments to Hoppa, Sandow, Hayne etc.

He reminds me a bit of JWH. I don't know that we want that much mongrel in the team. He is good but not worth throwing the house at. I would prefer to keep DCE and Foz together before worrying about Lussick

Ralphie said:
The hype is similar to that of JWH and we have all watched him become average at the chooks. I understood Lussick was filthy with Des for leaving him out of the GF team. If true, I would be surprised to see him at the dishlickers.

We need Beaver to have a chat with him and explain the benefits of being a one team man.

Yes Lussick situation does remind me of JWH - a quickly emerging talent being splashed with big $$$$ very early on potential. You can have all the physical ability & toughness in the world and it will take you a long way but its no guarantee for super stardom without the behind the scenes focus and smarts on his part and also the clubs part.

1 - He has to be resigned. He is our youngest prop with NRL experience and Kite and Joe should be moved on. Props in 2013 should be King, Lussick, Rose, Mauro with Cunningham/Skinner/Palau as back up.
2 - $250k-300k is what the club should be prepared to offer him.

Mybludog said:
swoop said:
It's the price we play for being a successful club, I would of thought that we may of let Kite go and save dollars for soe of our young guns.

Hasler new early last season he wasn't staying so he deliberately tied up our cap $$$ with older players.

Every player has a heavily back ended deal. We're already over the cap for 2013 so unless it's upgraded big time by the IC we're in trouble.

Get a good look at the team this year Ladies & Gents because it's going to look a whole lot different by the end on 2013

This

Like others have said Lussick's current situation is like JWH a few years back. It is also similar to Hodkinson in 2010.

All 3 are players with potential (Lussick more than the other 2 imo) but the hype around them early in their career is disproportionate to their actual achievements, and the danger is that it will over-inflate their egos. This can stop them from actually reaching their full potential as an NRL player in the long run.

This is a key point in Darcy's career. Whether he stays with us or leaves, I hope he realises that it would be a mistake for him to think this decision is all about the money.

The old blokes which have been referred too in this thread such as Brent Kite IMO really stood up in the WCC. I think he was outstanding.

Dussick on the other hand has a fair way to go in learning his trade. If he wants the big bucks then he will have to show consistency in the next 12 months. To be honest I don't believe he has played enough games to have so much media hype said about him. And I'm fairly shore he knows that too.

Like T-Rex he may want hang around a bit and learn from the best and win one or two GF's along the way.

Mybludog said:
swoop said:

Hey Russ

I'm trying to think who we tied up last season
Kite?
joe?
Not doubting you I'm sure it's true because it's been proven what a devious person hasler was. I think we need to probably release a few to england

I would easily release Rose and Kite for one Darcy Lussick. He's worth more than the value of those 2.

Let me have a guess. Darcy's dad was on Zorbas tour to the WCC with Barry Stewart? I can see a little pattern in all these articles about Lussick and the Stewart boys dumping the Sea Eagles.

Kite might have played good against the poms but he is only always good against melbourne,he has no fire otherwise,King can go to and then we're in a much better cap position

Also LOL@this article

Dogs have a great front row rotation,he isnt required there and would be surplus to needs

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7