Manly Sea Eagles fullback Brett Stewart no certainty to face Leeds in World Club Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

WAMF

Bencher
MANLY co-captain Jason King is confident he'll be fit to lead the Sea Eagles in the World Club Challenge, but Brett Stewart is no certainty to face Leeds on February 17.
The star fullback was ruled out of the Four Nations tour with a knee problem and Manly will need him ready to go for their NRL title defence in 2012.
Coach Geoff Toovey said he's pleased with how Stewart is progressing through the pre-season and certainly hasn't ruled him out of the WCC.
But given his knee is only just starting to stabilise after a horror run of injuries, it seems doubtful Stewart will face the Rhinos on a hard English surface unless coaching staff are confident the 26-year-old is 100 per cent fit.
"Brett's much further ahead than he was this time last year obviously. He's fighting fit and he's in a pretty good place at the moment so we're expecting a pretty big year from him,'' said Toovey.

The newly-appointed coach, who this week welcomed former team-mate Cliff Lyons onto his staff at Manly, said winger David Williams was his main concern after the serious neck injury he suffered last season.

"I don't know if he'll be right yet, but he should be right for the first game (of the season proper) I believe,'' Toovey said. King was the hard-luck story from the Sea Eagles premiership triumph after a pectoral injury in the lead-up to the finals cost him the chance to lift the trophy with Jamie Lyon. The NSW front-rower said he's set the WCC as his comeback date. "Absolutely I'm on track personally to play in that game,'' he said. "I don't have to see the surgeon again so just see how it responds over the next month or so and start to amp it up a little bit. "I'm really keen to get over there that's for sure.'' Toovey said he would be silly to significantly change the winning formula implemented by former coach Des Hasler and isn't motivated by putting his own stamp on the club. The 42-year-old said Lyons, his former halves partner at Manly, will ease into his role as NSW Cup coach and there are no immediate plans to have him running water and messages for the NRL team. "Obviously Cliffy has just accepted the role we offered him in the last couple of days so he'll have enough on his hands at this stage ... but down the track maybe something will eventuate,'' said Toovey. "When Cliff was playing at the club he had that winning culture about him.'' Young centre-winger Dean Whare is pushing hard for one of the positions in the outside backs vacated by Michael Robertson and Will Hopoate.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-fullback-brett-stewart-no-certainty-to-face-leeds-in-world-club-challenge/story-e6frexnr-1226228754951

Read the full article

I'd definately be leaving Snake at home. No need to risk him, I'd rather have him fully fit for season opener.

Farrer can fill in and Brett can strengthen his wonky knees.

A bit worrying to read that Wolfy is concerning Toovs . Lets hope that Don Singe can work his magic:angel:

Hope Kingy plays in the WCC, he'll be so amped! Can't wait to see his 1st carry & i pity the player he hits 1st in defence! He'll snap the bloke in half! :-D

Leaving Snake behind will also be a good opportunity to see how his back-up will fit in. I guess that would be Farrar.

As for Wolfman, it sounded pretty positive to me that Toovey expects him to be right for Round 1. I'm amazed he will be able to continue to continue his career at all, so that news sounds quite heartening to me.

The story read: ... it seems doubtful Stewart will face the Rhinos on a hard English surface ...

Is there such a thing as a hard surface in England?

The Who said:
The story read: ... it seems doubtful Stewart will face the Rhinos on a hard English surface ...

The ground could be pretty well frozen this time of year.

Moondog said:
The Who said:

I'm not sure of the facilities at Headingly (that's where the game is being played right?) but most professional northern hemisphere sporting facilities have heating coils under the pitches to ensure that they don't freeze over.

Also keep in mind that English pitches are apparently a lot softer & of better quality than Aussie ones (according to a lot of players who have come to the A-League from Europe).

Wolfpack said:
Moondog said:
The Who said:

I'm not sure of the facilities at Headingly (that's where the game is being played right?) but most professional northern hemisphere sporting facilities have heating coils under the pitches to ensure that they don't freeze over.

Also keep in mind that English pitches are apparently a lot softer & of better quality than Aussie ones (according to a lot of players who have come to the A-League from Europe).
Elland rd has heating headingly doesn't apparently that's why Leeds choose it. Their sick of nrl teams beating them lol

Well that's f***ked. You'd think that they would at least play the WCC at a decent stadium. I understand that Elland Rd. Is being used by Leeds Utd. but surely there is a better option than Headingly.

Damn it wanted to see Snake break the record Frano Boticas record of tries in the WCC.
Oh well have to hope that Choc does it now

Good to read that Whare is being considered. He needs encouragement and game time to bring out his talent.

DSM5 said:
Good to read that Whare is being considered. He needs encouragement and game time to bring out his talent.
Whare has been a bit unlucky injury wise. I've been impressed with what I've seen of him.

The Who said:

Ever heard of snow, sleet & frost... :p

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6