Manly Sea Eagles v Brisbane Bombers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Will start off with a line I heard from Des speaking after the game

"We have become smart at playing dumb football, but we are getting better"

That is spot on. We aren't playing too clever, the referee's are turning up with pre conceived ideas about us, and we are paying for it. We got penalised numerous times today for "working him", fair enough if it goes both ways, but it doesn't as always. I watched closely in each of the next times we had the ball after being penalised, the same thing occured, and nothing for us. A great example of us not getting the calls from the blokes on the park is when Matai had Thaiday cold at marker, but we got nothing

We can't fault the blokes today on their effort. At 16-0 it would have been very easy to drop the heads and throw the towel in, but they kept trying which is a big positive. Basically today, we won the match on desire, not skill level, which is a pleasing aspect for me

Also encouraging was, apart from the poor miss from Watmough, everything else Brisbane scored from came off bombs, and we were defending our line a lot during the match. They were so 1 dimensional I was laughing near the end. Lockyer would probe, we would shut it down, they would hoist a bomb.

Onto what I thought of some of the players

Standout obviously was Lyon, nothing needs to be said about him. Kite and Stewart backing up was also a great effort, while Robertson was rock solid at the back, criticism will not doubt be found for him, but it is not deserved imo. 2 guys I would like to bring out for special attention are Rodney and Rose. Rodney, as he has done all year, ran hard and poked his head through the line, and Rose was full of metres, I will not be happy if he gets dropped after that match. I liked Jason King's defence today as well, he was hitting quite hard

Now to some of the others. Orford kicking game was attrocious, along with everybody else that had a kick today really. Poor match, but importantly I suppose, he played a hand in our tries, and in the final 10 mins stood up a bit more. 5/10 from me for him

Bailey also continues to show little signs for me at 5/8. Todays one was when he got the ball, and instead of rushing the ball out to the obvious chance, he stepped the guy in the way, ran forward a couple of metres then threw the nice ball to Lyon which made everything he had to do easier. I still maintain our side will be stronger with Bailey at 6 and Lyon centres, that was evident the way Lyon carved up today. We don't have a Bell there as an extra centre this season

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Encouraging debut, he looked big and strong, ran well, but had a couple of errors in him too. I would have Rose ahead of him with Perry fit again next week for the final bench spot, but he isn't far off. It did show though why I think the calls for plenty of young guys in the side wouldn't have worked, because they have a few errors in them 1st up

No doubt we will hear plenty about Lyon's 2nd and 3rd tries, both were 100% fine imo. The commentators showed a complete lack of understanding of the rules for mine with the hip one, it is not a knock on. Got sick of hearing all day how Hunt and Hodges were out, Perry and Stewart are also internationals, not to mention Cuthbertson.

Anyhow, I will bank the 2 points, and look forward too next week knowing that although we didn't play that well today, the belief and confidence those blokes should take out of coming back from 16-0 down at Suncorp to win a match should lift our performance and lot, and give them something to move forward with

a bit of confidence and some kicking practise all round should put us in good shape against the wankers next week

While on the refs, I am sick of banging on about it, but John Cartright made some good points in an interview

He basically said that he can stomach the penalties being given for blatant things, even against his side, because he knows what they are for, but the ruck penalties leave him scratching his head more often than not both ways, and that can't be good for the game

I just have to laugh at how the refs just have to seize on a rule and completely take it out of the context intended. Why the sudden interest in players tapping the ball forward in an attempt to regather possession ? Talk about a bunch of stupid morons. The rule was brought in to stop players who had controlled possession from throwing the ball over the oppositions heads and regathering before it hit the ground. As far as I'm concerned it's just great skill to be able to tip the ball up and over to regather from an uncontrolled possession situation. If the ball hits the defender it's an automatic knock on, so the skill is to tap it up out of their reach, not easy on the run. I'm still dumbfounded that they disallowed Haynes try the other week for this, and was worried that the same may have happened to Jamie today. The test case should be would you penalise that action anywhere else on the field if no try is scored from it ?? Of course you wouldn't, but these farking idiots with the whistles still want to find a reason to disallow a try. Almost ****s me as much as the double movement rule.

Chip & Chase link said:
I just have to laugh at how the refs just have to seize on a rule and completely take it out of the context intended. Why the sudden interest in players tapping the ball forward in an attempt to regather possession ? Talk about a bunch of stupid morons. The rule was brought in to stop players who had controlled possession from throwing the ball over the oppositions heads and regathering before it hit the ground. As far as I'm concerned it's just great skill to be able to tip the ball up and over to regather from an uncontrolled possession situation. If the ball hits the defender it's an automatic knock on, so the skill is to tap it up out of their reach, not easy on the run. I'm still dumbfounded that they disallowed Haynes try the other week for this, and was worried that the same may have happened to Jamie today. The test case should be would you penalise that action anywhere else on the field if no try is scored from it ?? Of course you wouldn't, but these farking idiots with the whistles still want to find a reason to disallow a try. Almost S**ts me as much as the double movement rule.
i agree,i think if lyon was disallowed that would be a joke,it is pure skill to tap it forward like he did,its a stupid rule imo.

just wanted to add MANLY WIN MANLY WIN MANLY WIN sucked in corey parker for missing that goal MANLY WIN  :p

Kite, King and Rose stood up today, and the backrowers were good.

The defence was the biggest improvement, and the attack was a little more fluent.

Cut the penalties, and wow..our awful kicking game and Manly can get back up there.

Long way to go, but today was a good step forward mentally.

chrisos link said:
just wanted to add MANLY WIN MANLY WIN MANLY WIN sucked in corey parker for missing that goal MANLY WIN  :p

AGREED! I was all ready for golden point, and then that loser missed, and I was sooo happy! we are finally winning without stewie, things are turning around and the future (well at least this week anyways) looks heaps brighter!

Now to turn Brookie back into a fortress..

Kiwi, Thurstons try was a double movement and I agreed, sure he ended up over the line but he had lifted his arm and drove forward to do it.

Dan link said:
Kiwi, Thurstons try was a double movement and I agreed, sure he ended up over the line but he had lifted his arm and drove forward to do it.

Thurston's a queenslander, therefore obviously, the interpration by the ref was...
he cheated.

A great 2nd-half gusty win to the boys today - gotta absolutely love beating the Broncos anywhere, anytime!

But that first 30 mins on the field in the 1st half was pretty pathetic by our boys.
I was starting to get a pretty nasty gut feeling as half time closed in.

But man, what a change around in the first 20 mins of the 2nd half!
Well done boys!

(I really wish I had freakin tipped them this week now!.. Doh.)

Go Sea Eagles, regardless!

Dan link said:

I thought it was all momentum personally, more a bounce than a lift if that makes sense, and that he brought the ball down straight, not in front of where his arm was in the air

Hope you heard us chanting on TV guys because I can assure you my voice is 110% STUFFED!!

Awsome experience for everyone in attendance, fantastic result GO MANLY!!!

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Will start off with a line I heard from Des speaking after the game

\"We have become smart at playing dumb football, but we are getting better\"

Quotable quote or what? Another classic from Dessie.  My head hurts.

Brisbane Bitches bitch about Video Ref.

I had no prob with the lyon tap forward, as it was clearly contesting for the ball and did not use it to beat a player rather to juggle the ball.

All well and good to get the two points, with Lyon especially brilliant again, but the Bani try was the one that told me the season can turn. That try oozed x-factor teamwork for mine with everyone playing their role. Nothing individually brilliant, but as a team almost unstoppable.

And for the first time this season the team finished noticeably physically stronger than the opposition.  They're getting fitter it seems.

I thought the last pass to Bani was questionable, I called forward when I saw it but it was allowed so all good.

I"M ****ING STOKED!

Considering our season so far it was a brilliant win. At 16-0 I was tempted to walk away from the TV. Being 16-0 down to the benchmark and at their home ground, a win would be a deadset miracle.

Todays win is pretty significant as the Broncos used to have the wood on us. It is the first time we have won four straight against them and now the record is 16 wins all since their inception.

Bani's try was doubtful. Lyon's tries were questionable but legal and fair. It was a well deserved win. If the Broncos want to whinge than they'll have to do it to a chorus of laughter.

Although it was a great win we did some extremely retarded things. The Broncos should actually be condemned for not putting us away after we turned over so much posession and field territory. We did put in a quality defensive performance though. It was pleasing to know that nearly all their tries came off throw of the dice kicks.

Bani needs to be educated a bit more. His tackle attempt for one of their tries was atrocious. The Broncos player had no momentum yet brushed him off in a one on one. Most players would have been able to throw him over the sideline. Joel Clinton should have been nowhere near the ball to score a try off a kick. I'm surprised the superfit Ballin couldn't beat him to it. And Williams needs to get up in the face of his opponent. He gave his opposite number every opportunity by meekly contesting the ball.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if we played smart we would have thrashed the Broncos. It would have been a good way to show up the benchmark team.

I was pleased with Robertson, he was far more solid and is getting familiar to his position. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Lyon was fantastic, we need to get him cloned.

Forwards were pleasing. The team was competitive and the result was super positive.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6