Manly set to retain another cornerstone as Raiders give up Ballin chase

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

kimox

Manly set to retain another cornerstone as Raiders give up Ballin chase Michael Chammas
June 18, 2012

HAVING lost the services of Tony Williams and Darcy Lussick for next season, Manly are poised to retain off-contract hooker Matt Ballin, as Canberra resign themselves to missing out on his signature.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey labelled the former Queensland dummy half a ''priority'' for Manly to secure, despite the best efforts of the Raiders to lure him to the nation's capital next season.

Toovey, who believes the 28-year-old is in career-best form, insists the Sea Eagles are doing everything possible to ensure he remains with the club beyond the end of this season.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''He's a great player Matt Ballin and he's been playing well,'' Toovey said. ''I think the last month he's played some of his best football, so hopefully he'll continue that through the year. We're doing our best to retain all our players and Matt Ballin is right up there as a priority for us. He's a priority, he's a great player and a key member of our team … ''

The Raiders, lacking a quality No.9, were keen to snatch Ballin from the Sea Eagles, who have already retained star halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran.

Ballin never wanted to leave Manly, but with Cherry-Evans, Foran, Steve Matai, Brett Stewart, Lussick and Williams all on rival clubs' radars, his contract negotiations had been put on hold.

But speaking on ABC Radio yesterday, Canberra chief Don Furner said the Raiders were out of the running for Ballin, as Manly were close to extending his contract.

''[It is] pretty much he is going to stay at Manly now,'' Furner said. ''They have lost Tony Williams and Lussick and I think they asked him to wait until they could find room. He always indicated to us that his preference was to stay at Manly and I don't blame him.

''If he got squeezed out he indicated he would come here but he looks like staying at Manly now and we have moved on.

Asked if Ballin's manager had indicated the Raiders were not in the race for his signature any more, Furner said: ''Yeah … that he will stay there.''

In a team packed full of superstars, Ballin rarely gets the recognition he deserves for steering the reigning premiers around the paddock. But his presence and performance this year hasn't gone unnoticed by his coach.

''We need him for the players around him to be at their best,'' Toovey said.

''At the top level, players need a player like Matty Ballin directing the show and controlling the ruck in a football game.

''All hookers don't get the recognition they deserve, I know that. But all the good sides have a quality one and we've got that with Matt Ballin.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-set-to-retain-another-cornerstone-as-raiders-give-up-ballin-chase-20120617-20idb.html#ixzz1y6eyircQ

''All hookers don't get the recognition they deserve, I know that"

Spoken like a true ex hooker Tooves.

I also understood Snake was putting negotiations (or announcements) on hold till after the SOO period.

The fact that the Dragons are playing poorly worries me, they may not see Brett Morris as the answer to their fullback situation. Apart from Beale from the Broncos, they have made no other signings, and no major siging in years, so their members are looking for some big signing news.

Chip and Chase said:
''All hookers don't get the recognition they deserve, I know that"

Spoken like a true ex hooker Tooves.

I also understood Snake was putting negotiations (or announcements) on hold till after the SOO period.

That's correct, nothing until after SOO

Looking forward to an official announcement on this one. 80 minutes every week, top tackler in the comp and just out of the rep equation - the blokes got it all.

Peter C said:
The fact that the Dragons are playing poorly worries me, they may not see Brett Morris as the answer to their fullback situation. Apart from Beale from the Broncos, they have made no other signings, and no major siging in years, so their members are looking for some big signing news.

From what I have seen Morris at fullback has been one of the Dragon's very few shining lights.

MadMarcus said:
Sounds very promising.

A little worried there is still no news on Snake...

The rumours about snake to the roosters have started up again, but it makes no sense to me. Anyways, Snake (or his management) have said he wants to put talks on hold til after origin.

Look, if Brett or Matt want out, go - I'm sick to death of the bullcrap. $300k (for Brett), 200k (for Ballin) take it or leave it. If it's going to be a shonky year signing's wise, may as well take all the hurt now.

Yeah, yeah, Glenn has to follow his brother - fine - cya.

Lets go into next year with some players that want to be here FFS.

Ryan said:
Look, if Brett or Matt want out, go - I'm sick to death of the bullcrap. $300k (for Brett), 200k (for Ballin) take it or leave it. If it's going to be a shonky year signing's wise, may as well take all the hurt now.

Yeah, yeah, Glenn has to follow his brother - fine - cya.

Lets go into next year with some players that want to be here FFS.

Man you are negative.

Matt Ballin has always said that he wants to stay at Manly. But if he signed somewhere else, could you have blamed him? Management might say they want to keep him, but he has been down the pecking order, and offers don't last forever.

You need to realise that this team HAD to lose some players. You can't keep a premiership winning team with the amount of good young players our team had, without giving something up.

Same thing happened in 2008 - we lost 4 players after the 08 GF. Then maybe 4 more at the end of 2009.

Please tell me how you think we can keep all these players. We're not the Scum who pay players under the table.

We have a premier fullback we are trying to keep. The best centre in the game along with an international as the other. One of the current Kiwi halves as one half of our halves pairing, with a current Australian rep as the other. The best ball playing lock in the game. A current Australian rep in the 2nd row, and a NSW rep player from this year on our bench.

Come on mate, be realistic and realise it's part and parcel of the game these days.

Yeah it's part of the game unfortunately. I don't like it but it's the way every one operate's or you would be left behind. I just wait for official announcements cause they all almost say they want to stay in public but obviously agents are operating in the background working for them

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7