Manly should adapt the Canberra Method

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I really think we should adapt the Canberra method going forward guys. I've been thinking about it a while. Something like this for next year:-

01. Will Hopoate (junior)
02. Michael Oldfield (junior)
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. James Cunningham (junior)
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough (junior)
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Dean Whare
15. George Rose
16. Jason King (junior)
17. Jamie Buhrer (junior)

Released: Brett Stewart (retires - knees), Michael Robertson (UK), Trent Hodkinson (Bulldogs), Lama Tasi (Roosters),
Chris Bailey (Released), Tony Williams (Released), Joe Galuvao (retires), Matt Cross (released), Terrence Seu Seu (released).

Contingencies: Buhrer to fill in backrow / Hooker, Whare to fill in backline, Lyon to cover 1/2's.

My only change to that would be Brett back in, and Hoppa to bench, but everything else the same. If Brett is healthy, he's in, no matter what.

I dont think that side is bad but it will be a year or two away before they become a force. Again short term loss for a long term gain. Only problems is Snake & Robbo should stay and TRex is still a work in progress. If we lose Snake and will bet Gifty will go too. 

We still need to pay the players contracted or hope someone will pick up them up at the price we are paying them.

With all those guys released what sort of team would we field when we get hit with 14 suspensions/injuries ????

mickqld link said:
With all those guys released what sort of team would we field when we get hit with 14 suspensions/injuries ????

Same as any other would with 14 injuries mate.

and we could look forward to forever coming 6th - 12th for the rest of eternity just like canberra

I can see your point Ryan but unfortunately the method does not work under the current salary cap. There is no benefit to investing in juniors because you get no cap concession and as soon as they get close to NRL standard another club poaches them. The problem is illustrated no better than by a club like Canberra. If their method worked, they'd be a force, but as it is, they scrape into the finals every second year. Ironically, the last time they won a title was when they were found to be significantly over the cap. Please don't take this as a criticism of you Ryan, it is a criticism of a system which encourages the poaching of other clubs juniors. You only have to look at this years Toyota Cup Team Of The Year. A fair chunk of those players are moving clubs next year.

Ryan, you are a good fella, but I would advise you stop thinking mate. When was the last time Canberra was anywhere near the serious weeks of the season ?

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Ryan, you are a good fella, but I would advise you stop thinking mate. When was the last time Canberra was anywhere near the serious weeks of the season ?

With out current spate of injuries and suspensions it only confirms that the NRL should ensure each club has a reserve grade team in future with the toyota cup reverting back to just a junior team like it used to be and not the next level below NRL standard because it is too big a jump for most toyota cup players.  

mosto link said:
I can see your point Ryan but unfortunately the method does not work under the current salary cap. There is no benefit to investing in juniors because you get no cap concession and as soon as they get close to NRL standard another club poaches them. The problem is illustrated no better than by a club like Canberra. If their method worked, they'd be a force, but as it is, they scrape into the finals every second year. Ironically, the last time they won a title was when they were found to be significantly over the cap. Please don't take this as a criticism of you Ryan, it is a criticism of a system which encourages the poaching of other clubs juniors. You only have to look at this years Toyota Cup Team Of The Year. A fair chunk of those players are moving clubs next year.

That's a very good summation. Canberra would be a continual force if they could keep their juniors, so the 'model' is sound enough. It's just that luring people away from living in Canberra is easy. However, the lifestyle at Manly is a lure. That's the difference. If we had a supply of good juniors we should be better placed than Canberra to retain them.
But the NRL needs to reward clubs that cultivate locals. The success of Easts this year is a slap in the face for this. You just buy rather than build. How they keep under the cap is a mystery.

Canberra will win a comp within 5 years, so I can see where Ryan's coming from. However I don't think we've got the talent coming through to match them.

Dugan, Croker, and Joel Thompson will all be in the Top 3 in their respective positions. Vidot and Fensom are two more quality youngsters. Campese, Shillington, TLL are all already top players and still only young. McCrone looks to be improving, and apparently their young halfback in the 20's Sam someone is promising as well.

The success of Easts this year is a slap in the face for this. You just buy rather than build. How they keep under the cap is a mystery.
[/quote]

Well, their recruitment manager was previously at the Storm........

I agree with you in principle Ryan but I think it's more of something to work towards than a policy to implement by the end of next season.

I've always been an advocate of filling a team with as many local juniors & club developed players as possible. It gives the fans something more tribal to support & creates loyalty on both sides of the fence.

We have a good crop of players coming through at the moment & a heap of them are local lads. The talent scouts are out there doing a good job in the bush, Qld & NZ too. They can hopefully find the next Matai, DCE, Ballin or Stewarts & bring them into grade the right way.

Easts can be Easts, that club has no soul. We're supposed to be a bit different to the likes of them.

Guys - they'll make it through one more finals round at least than us. They look faster, fitter, and most importantly, stronger in management than us.

What are your thoughts on that Kiwi? And I don't want to hear about something that happened 2 years ago. NOW is important.

I believe in Canberra this year as i put down 100 bucks on them to win that game :)  If they keep that side together they will be a force in the years too come.

2 points of correction - Canberra weren't over the cap in 1994, you're thinking of when they won in 1990. And I'm being pedantic here, but in 1995 and in Super League, they did make the prelimaries.

They've also managed to sign all of their young players up, for 2-4 years each. They'll be force for awhile I think. For the most part, they were great tonight. I wouldn't mind adopting their method at all.

Ryan link said:
Guys - they'll make it through one more finals round at least than us. They look faster, fitter, and most importantly, stronger in management than us.

What are your thoughts on that Kiwi? And I don't want to hear about something that happened 2 years ago. NOW is important.

They are performing well, with a fit squad, good on them. Much like Parramatta did last year, and the Warriors the year before. Both fell flat the next year so it remains to be seen how they back it up, personally I hope that is well

If we want to talk about now though, 2 months ago Canberra beat us and on here it was the end of the world because they were such a s**t side

We would also need to quadrouple our junior base to be able to do a canbera, they own all the south western NSW juniors, we have a union strong area smaller than all bar one or 2 teams.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4