Manly showed Menzies the door

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ando

Reserve Grader
what do we think of this?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/former-manly-legend-steve-menzies-reveals-he-wanted-another-year-with-sea-eagles-but-was-shown-the-door/story-fn2mcuj6-1226109029755

It's old news - this was covered at the time, and again after beav left Bradford. Read the article - Beaver is totally understanding of the situation and seems quite happy to be in France right now.

Yeah its old news.

I am in the minority (maybe even on my own) but it was the right decision.

He was an average first grader for the most of 2008, but showed glimpses of better form during a final series we absolutely dominated.

It was probably the right move I guess as it could have cost us other players that were worth keeping long term. It was generally accepted at the time it occured, may have been a different story for some if Lowe was running the joint and made that call though lol

Was it the door Des ripped off at parra?

bob dylan said:
Yeah its old news.

He was an average first grader for the most of 2008, but showed glimpses of better form during a final series we absolutely dominated.

Average first grader? He added great impact all season.

We all would have liked Beaver to stay BUT if he did and it wasnt his "farewell" would we still have won 40-0.... would we have been able to keep fellow 2nd rowers Choc and Gift for a further 3 years ( so far ) ...... ideally he should have been still there now but in a salary cap it was never gonna happen.

I will bag the decision makers if they deserve it - but not sure this was a wrong call. It was a hard call but a right call.

Volley said:
bob dylan said:
Yeah its old news.

Average first grader? He added great impact all season.

Yeah his form was great for the business end of the season. Remember he was injured for a fair few games early-mid season? Groin? He definitely had another year or 2 in him, but how do you factor in releasing a biography and having the testimonial dinner etc that year? Obviously Beav had made up his mind fairly well that he was moving on. Lots of these types of beat-up articles "he was shown the door" are the result of a player giving a well-mannered answer to a leading question

I still remember the uproar when Manly showed Fatty Vautin the door with a huge amount of crap thrown at the club! It proved to be the right decision as he went on to be absolutely ****e at the Rooters. Fatty even acknowledged later on that it was the right decision by Manly and he should have retired rather than play on with another club!

It is in the best traditions of our club and indeed most successful clubs that players leave a year early rather than a year too late. As others said, I'm sure he understands, he is a pretty smart guy. And imagine if we hadn't been able to sign Bailey:)

bob dylan said:
He was an average first grader for the most of 2008

Wash that dirty keyboard with soap!
Beaver was never average at anything. His attack was great, his defence even better and his commitment wholehearted.
I have been watching Manly for 50 years and he is the second best player to wear the mighty maroon - Bozo being the best.
I still don;t understand why we couldn't keep him for one more season. Doesn't the club get a $200,000 dispensation for him?
I know you'll all say there is no loyalty in the game, but Beaver is certainly an exception. He would have been an inspiration to every other player, and a mentor to the youngsters.

If you'll recall, 2009 was a very disappointing year. I'm sure we would not have continue to fade every second half had Beaver been there.

I hope he comes back to the club in some off-field position.

Viva La Beaver!

I'm with the club on this. His form was starting to drop a little but he went out on top.
Nobody has ever had a better farewell than beaver & nobody.deserves a better one, or even as good a one.

[/quote]

You have to be kidding!!! Suggest you watch some games during the season. Bold statement mate. I would suggest to you that Menzies easily had another year or two in the NRL, if some off the friggin' nevilles getting around now are any guide.
He certainly could have offered plenty off the field in the wake of Brett"s dramas-although as you will correct, he was already gone.
Honestly buddy, suggest a re think here :rolleyes:

Someone stole Bob's log in details I think?:p
Finishing your career with a 40-0 whitewash...it's as
good as it gets one would think?:-/

Deserved another year and to hold the record outright, that's how I feel. When a bloke with his standing at the club says he wants to stay - as he did - don't you move heaven and earth to keep him?

Actually the more outrageous thing about this all is that the NRL didn't get Beav on as an ambassador for the game in his final years to support his manly contract as I'm fairly sure they do with a number of other high profile one-club players with impeccable records. A few pay checks for some NRL-sponsored media events might make it more palatable for Manly to keep him?

I dunno. I know it's the super league but this is 3 years after he left Manly and he's still doing everything so easily. One more year, he would've been a valuable asset and would hold even more records than he currenty does. That's all I'm saying.

He went out on top. Be thankful there was no ox like disaster of a return to nrl.

Maybe we could have got another year or two out of him but really it was time to go before the mob turned on him baying for blood, better to go out like beaver than like ox.

He went out in style, but I remember Cuthbo was having a great season (went off the boil in the next season) and couldn't get a spot in the team during the finals series. I was thinking he would have given the team more than Beaver was at the time.

Worked out well though didn't it!

getting f...cked by Max (along with others) in the infamous property deals didnt really help in all this.

Hmm, could make for some interesting headlines involving terms like 'saviour' and 'favourite son'.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6