Manly stars back under-fire Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey after club CEO admits job threat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lurker

Beaver lover
Manly stars back under-fire Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey after club CEO admits job threat
  • JON GEDDES
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 10
Manly Sea Eagle coach Geoff Toovey not worried
external

Toovey digs heels in over Manly future

CEO: Season outcome will determine Toovey’s position

Jamie Buhrer is one of a number of players to throw his support behind Toovey.

Veteran prop Willie Mason praised the amount of effort that Toovey puts in every week and the passion he shows towards the Manly club and the jersey.

“At the moment we are just losing games, I have no problems with the club or Toovs,” Mason said.

“It’s pretty much based on what we do out on the field- if we go out there out there and just walloped for six games in a row he is going to get sacked pretty much.

“That sucks, I don’t want that to happen.”

Forward Jesse Sene-Lefao became emotional as he said he backed Toovey 100 per cent.

“He is a club legend, he is passionate and that is what you need from a coach,” Sene-Lefao said

“He also backs the boys which is massive, that’s what you want from a coach. If you don’t back your boys you don’t win games;

“It’s pretty sad to say that we lose a couple of games and then they start blaming the coach- the coach can only control what he can do off the field.”

Manly chairman Scott Penn told The Daily Telegraph Toovey’s position depends on results.

And winger Cheyse Blair agreed, saying the players have to get the team out of the hole they are currently in.

“I don’t think it is him, it is us,” Blair said.

Toovey said he has not spoken with Penn about his future

“I’m not feeling any pressure but obviously I am a competitor- I like to win and the players are in the same vein,” he said.

“All I can do is focus the players and myself and the club and the coaching staff on performing at our best- we have been a bit below that over the last couple of weeks but we are not far off.

“There is no certainty in rugby league but I’m confident that we will produce the goods and that you’ll see me here for the length of my contract.”

He also revealed he was confident that centre Steve Matai would play against the Panthers today.

Manly players have expressed their support after reports coach Geoff Toovey’s job is under threat.

Geoff, you are all class mate. Always have been. It shines through and is remembered. I hope we win some games. If Nathan brown was coaching I would give up on the ducking rabble.

Funny how the blokes like buhrer sene lafao and mason who are putting in are backing the bloke. BUHRER is class. He cleans up the so much that's not noticed by even our fans. Next captain for sure.

Geoff, you are all class mate. Always have been. It shines through and is remembered. I hope we win some games. If Nathan brown was coaching I would give up on the ducking rabble.

Funny how the blokes like buhrer sene lafao and mason who are putting in are backing the bloke. BUHRER is class. He cleans up the so much that's not noticed by even our fans. Next captain for sure.

Ferris was a Manly boy growing up. Often see his Dad at work. Dad is also a Manly fan through and through.

Unfortunately it is not looking good for Tooves if he has to get Cheyse Blair to go in and bat for him...

Good on Buhrer and those boys for saying all that.

But guys talk is cheap, what counts it the performance on the field (and this is in no way aimed at Buhrer). Get your act together and start showing some attitude on the field, because that's what will ultimately show if you want Tooves to stay. And it will ultimately show what you as players are made of. And Foran I'm not aiming this at you, we already know what you are made of.

Yes he is but he isn't quoted in the story only his picture is in it.

I'm talking about the three players quoted
"
Backrower Jamie Buhrer said the assessment of Toovey’s position was unexpected.

“I’m a bit lost for words,” Buhrer said.

“I suppose it’s extra motivation as players because it is quite unfair that he is copping the stick that we should be getting as players"
?

Good to see a few of the boys throw their weight behind tooves and admit that they are to blame. Gives me abit of hope

To come out and publicly put pressure on Toovey is one of the dumbest things anyone involved in the club could do.

What is the purpose?

The general public don't need a warning before the fact?

The players don't need a warning before the fact?

Toovey doesn't need a warning before the fact?

All it's done is make us look even more like a rabble, given the papers ammunition, and increased pressure on the club to perform. If Penrith score first on Saturday night, watch the heads drop. Can you imagine working in retail, and finding out that the manager (the person telling you what to do all time) might be on the way out because head office aren't happy with the job they're doing? Can you imagine being motivated by that manager?

Dumb, dumb, dumb, Mr Penn.

Rember though that this is a story from the person that during that interview with Tooves was sticking the paper under his nose being a total ****wit. He was baiting them all so he could write this garbage.

Don't give it any attention.

I'd just like to see them have a real crack at having a win and not another meek pussy lay down. That'd be a good place to start.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6