Manly 'to support Watmough' in AVO case

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter

Manly NRL club executives say they will support Anthony Watmough after his former girlfriend accused him in court of attacking her with coins and a chair, and also punching her during several violent outbursts.

Watmough faced Sydney's Manly Local Court on Monday, where his former girlfriend of seven years Gillian Rixon is seeking an apprehended violence order.

Ms Rixon, who has a young son with the 23-year-old Sea Eagles second-rower, told the court he violently attacked her several times, including on New Year's Eve in 2004, when he threw coins at her.

"There was an indent in the wall - one of them hit my head and bruised it - he then threw a chair at me an it hurt me," Ms Rixon told the court.

Watmough says he will fight the allegations, which his lawyers have deemed a "pack of lies".

The hearing will continue in June when Watmough intends to call three witnesses.

Meanwhile, Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said the club would support Watmough.

"This is a domestic violence issue, the club is obviously supporting Anthony through that," Mayer said.

If the allegations are a pack of lies can he tack defamation action?

I would imagine so. Being in a high profile position.

If the allegations are a pack of lies can he tack defamation action?

Yes. As slander. But the lies would have to be proven which is highly unlikely.

Conversely, she would clearly have defence options of either a) what she said was believed to be true or b) had the duty to disclose the information such as if making a statement to police.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4