Manly: Undefined Horizons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
With Gifty forced out, Manly opens a new chapter that has a few question marks hanging over the future direction of the club.

Gifty and the core players have forged a camaraderie not seen in most NRL clubs. A culture that is the envy of most clubs. My fear is that others might follow his exit.

Our immediate priority has to be the re-signing of Foz to a very long term deal with future Captaincy as the carrot. Foz has the character that is the pride of the club.

It's reported that DCE has no desire to sign right away. Perhaps, he's waiting for more cash to go his way.

Personally, I think DCE is a great player, but not worth $1M. I rather we spread the cash, than put it all in one basket. I rather a player that wants to stay because of our great club rather than one that stays for the max cash.

Manly has never forked out maximums to keep one player, not even Bozo. Why start now?

My other priorities are the veterans like Choc, Skivy and Killer. With these 3, plus Foz, we can maintain a very strong club into the future. Ask any young player that they have an opportunity to play along side these greats, I'm sure it will be quite an incentive to join our club.

The other players I'd like for us to keep long term are Hiku, Buhrer, Ballin, Trbojevic, Taufua, BJ, JSL and Hasson.

IF we lost Daly who is next up n commer 1/2 with a kicking game and all the skills and what price would he need? We saw with daly and other youngsters that one good year gets them massive pay increases contract or not. If we must pay DCE $900 pa and the next kid will command $750 pa in two years why not pay DCE the $900? It's all fine to say he isn't worth the money but what are the alternatives?

manlyfan76 said:
IF we lost Daly who is next up n commer 1/2 with a kicking game and all the skills and what price would he need? We saw with daly and other youngsters that one good year gets them massive pay increases contract or not. If we must pay DCE $900 pa and the next kid will command $750 pa in two years why not pay DCE the $900? It's all fine to say he isn't worth the money but what are the alternatives?

Alternatives aside, we won the game last week without him.
There will always be someone else.
It's like when Bozo left after 1976 and Manly fans thought it was the end of the world.
We bounced back and won in 1978, without the immortal Bozo.

I rather we spread the money around than give majority of the cap to one person.

That is plain BS. You know and I know that w/o a decent half or 5/8th we will always struggle. That is an absolute given. That is the serious problem in keeping Foz and Cherry happy. Their managers know it and so do the rest of us! If Fifita can get 800k then a real playmaker will command more. How that works out under the salary cap is our and everyone's problem.

ManlyBacker said:
That is plain BS. You know and I know that w/o a decent half or 5/8th we will always struggle. That is an absolute given. That is the serious problem in keeping Foz and Cherry happy. Their managers know it and so do the rest of us! If Fifita can get 800k then a real playmaker will command more. How that works out under the salary cap is our and everyone's problem.

I much rather Foz with his passion for the club.

In 1978, when we lost the great Johnny Gibbs due to injury, a Steve Martin easily plugged the gap to win us the GF.

In 2011, when the Dogs bought Des' lovechild, Trent Hodkinson, we finally decided to bring DCE into first grade to win us another GF.

Players come and go. Even if you raise the stakes, there's no guarantees he's going to stay.
Des is another example. We were willing to pay him more at the end but he still rather take the one hour hike through traffic to Bankstown... and another hour back (and he deserves it too).

Ramrod said:
Manly has never forked out maximums to keep one player, not even Bozo
You seem delirious Ramrod.
And why are people buying into the gossip about Daly? Weird.
Foz and DCE are the two best players for us for the next 5 years (at least) and if you think you can replace them with cheapies who will do the job you are not thinking straight.
The Steve Martin you refer to happened to be picked on the Kangaroo tour that year, that's' how good he was. You make it sound like he was some run of the mill reserve grader we threw into the team.
Suggesting the cause of our problem is anything other than the NRL's short-sighted policy is merely to play into the hands of the enemy who would love to see our team divided and our club destroyed. Wake up!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Ramrod said:
Manly has never forked out maximums to keep one player, not even Bozo
You seem delirious Ramrod.
And why are people buying into the gossip about Daly? Weird.
Foz and DCE are the two best players for us for the next 5 years (at least) and if you think you can replace them with cheapies who will do the job you are not thinking straight.
The Steve Martin you refer to happened to be picked on the Kangaroo tour that year, that's' how good he was. You make it sound like he was some run of the mill reserve grader we threw into the team.
Suggesting the cause of our problem is anything other than the NRL's short-sighted policy is merely to play into the hands of the enemy who would love to see our team divided and our club destroyed. Wake up!

Maybe I am delirious :)
Everyone is a nobody until they are given a chance.
DCE was a nobody (and an ex-cheapie) that no club wanted until he was thrown into Manly first grade in 2011. Des wanted to keep Trent but could not compete with the Dogs offer.

Why are we talking about DCE?
The issue is the NRL's failure to understand the fabric of our game and our club allegiances.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Why are we talking about DCE?
The issue is the NRL's failure to understand the fabric of our game and our club allegiances.

I agree about the NRL issue.
With DCE, just hoping him and Manly will come to an agreement that is affordable for all.

Well if they can't we'll just have to find another Steve Martin. But that is an issue for another day (if not another year).

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Well if they can't we'll just have to find another Steve Martin. But that is an issue for another day (if not another year).

...or we'll have to find another DCE like in 2011.
any of the ones in reggies any good yet? LOL

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4