Manly under 20's vs Newtown Jets NSW cup team play today!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Hi guys, not on our site but found it on NSWRL and Newtown Jets site. Starts at 5pm at Henson park. Good to see the 20's play older division. Always a good ground to watch at and relaxed. I'm going so hope to see a few Manly fans there cheering us on. At Newtown, there is only 1 Manly game, earlier games at Henson park don't involve us.

Also, matts and sg ball on against Penrith at Brookie later this afternoon. Check NSWRL site as Manly site has zip!! Matts start at 4pm followed by SG Ball.

Get off those keyboards and cheer the boys on at 2 locations.

Newtown Jets 24 - Manly 16

Souths might say they are the peoples team but I actually think the Bluebag's are.

Always have a soft spot for them

yeah i like newtown & west before souths & tigers.. ;) although i would rather souths playing .. just because of the tradition..

Souths whether they admit to it or not actually have screwed over a lot of teams Wests(tried to vote them out in the 80's), Newtown(voted them out in the 80's and took over a huge chunk of there territory), Glebe(voted them out) and Balmain(screwed them out of a title, turned up when Kangaroos vs Wallabies played so in Union terms  'and I mean working Union' were scabs.)
Easts (Stole a lot of there territory)

With Glebe and Annadale (I highly doubt that the A's would have survived but  anyway Souths voted them both out)

What would our colours be if they did?

Glebe were Maroon and White
Annadale were Maroon and Yellow

nice relaxed day sitting in the old stand, they were selling KB beer!! Good old days. Top hitout against much older and bigger team. In the end the massive size of the Jets props got them over the line. Poor old coach Penna is in a arm sling.

We trialled loads of kids whereas Jets had about 6 reserves. Jack Afamasaga's brother played. A real stand out for us was James Vaka. Played a Benji role with nice step and led us around the park. Real quality player in what I saw (but I did recommend Aaron Groom  ::) Fullback Sione Ala went well. Stromquist didn't impress. Not alot to write about. Boys tackled well and it was the size, literally men vs boys that got Jets home. 

No publicity on this one.  I live at Newtown and didn't know this was on.  Poor form from the club.  I'm a member so they could have sent something out on email.

DSM, didn't hardly see a Sea Eagle fan or jersey, only found it on nswrl site this morning!It ain't good enough

it's funny but Vaka's game is just different to the rest which was big, bore it up metres etc. He sorta ran across the field then hit a nice step and boom, off he went, it just stood out, you were watching when he got the ball type of things because something might happen.

A real "celebrity" we have is I think he name is Nabeel Siddiqui. A real big kid but with the biggest affro I have ever seen. It's amazing, how does he run??  :) THe crowd loved him, the opposition forwards belted him everytime he got the ball. A real character and when he ran everyone got excited.

I'd like to write more but most of the boys (at least 30 played) didn't get alot of time. Alex Taufo scored a length of field, got tackled by 2 different guys near the line, but shrugged thme off, it was impressive. We definitely got some size this year in the forwards.

The age and physicality does stand out when you see the 20's play senior men. No wonder I read once that only a few percent of Toyota cuppers make NRL!! It's a huge jump so you can respect and see the talent the Hoppa's etc who make the transition so easily. I think Des is definitely right in taking his time with kids. It was mentioned once when Lowie said Des will play them once or twice and send them back to 20's.  

Even our biggest kid wasn't in the top 3 in size from the Jets. The Jets had some huge boppers.

Jatz, since the "Groom" debacle, I pause at the keyboard before writing anything that potentially "will hang me one day" when my "superstar" ends up on the bench for Beacon Hill  ;)

My luck Vaka will miss the final cut and you guys will look at the program 1st game and "where's that kid Darren wrote up stepping like Benji"  :eek: ::)

I really hope Nabeel makes the squad because kids like him make footy interesting and he seems like a real top kid, someone you can follow. Definitely will gain a "cult" following. You really do have to see the hair!! I'm guessing about at least 30cm high and that's unsure!!!

Post  automatically merged: [time]1298153375[/time]

Next Saturday Manly Matts and SG Ball play in Wollongong (yippee) travel 5 minutes to watch Eagles play (scary thought)  Steelers have top teams again but I hear our junior teams are going well and quite strong. Matts yesterday beat Penrith and Ball just lost so that is good form. I will write a report next week from both games.

Darren link said:
I think Des is definitely right in taking his time with kids.

Haha, looks like someone must have hacked Darren's log-in . . .  ;D

But seriously, I always read your reports on the juniors with interest, so thanks!

very good SER, just seeing the physical size difference was obvious yesterday. And the Jets were full of guys that played reserve grade and lower grades still hoping for that chance in NSW Cup.

I still believe 1-2 juniors ala Keiran, DCE, Hoppa, and a few 22-25 year olds that have had 3-4 seasons AND 5-6 older guys for experience is the best set up for a team. The young uns can learn around old heads, the middle age are starting to hit consistent form and have some grounded NRL experience and the older ones have been there, done that. Our 2008 team was well set up I remember. Brett, Wolfie, Glenn, Choc, Matai, Ballin, Robbo were all in early to mid 20's and hit wonderful form. Guys like Beaver and Bell (don't we miss them) gave loads of experience. Remember the day at Penrith when Bell taught Jennings a lesson about being a centre!! 

Thanks for the update Darren and glad to hear you enjoyed your beer. Being an out of town-er it's always good to hear what's going on in the lower grades, not having a whinge about the club but i wish they could keep us a little more informed on how the younger squads are progressing.

not a problem should be able to give a real good account of under 16's and 18's next week after game against Illawarra. Always better to see a real hit out then a trial. There is a couple of new kiwis and I think I read Western Aussies in ball team so good to see what they can bring. Crusher has got it right in sg ball team as they are around 17/18 and just finishing school.

There is a load of new kids in Manly in 2011 and have come from all around. Many with good write ups and played high levels of junior footy, State and National schoolboy titles etc. Also notice we have signed quite a few junior props that played reps. 

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4