Manly v Leeds teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly team for the World Club Challenge:

B Stewart;
Robertson,
Lyon,
Matai,
Williams;
Bailey,
Orford (capt);
King,
Ballin,
Perry,
Watmough,
Hall,
G Stewart.

Subs (from):
L’Estrange,
Cuthbertson,
Rose,
Rodney,
Waerea-Hargreaves.

Quality Backs,
Quality Forwards.

I like our team. Rodney only to get a run if we are 20 points up with 20 to go?

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=179300.msg208554#msg208554 date=1235687331]
The run on side looks the goods.  Is George up to this?

he has had 18months to prepare
[/quote]

He's had a few runs in the reggies hasn't he?

I wasn't sure George was up to it in 07.  I saw him run around in the NSW cup after his op but he didn't really impress.  The ESL forwards will be quick, so I hope he's fit enough to do the job. 

I wasn't too sure whether Des would stick with Lyon at 5/8 or not. The fact that he has put Bailey there may be an indication of his intentions for the rest of the year. It certainly solves our lack of depth in the centres, but it just seems strange after he perservered so long with Lyon at 5/8 and it looked like he finally found his feet in that spot after he came back from that injury layoff end of last season. 

I guess no real surprises in that side, and I guess JWH will drop off the bench ??

C & C I guess Des didn't really have a 5/8th option last season, this year he has.  I always thought Lyon was better suited in the centres, but he made a good fist of 5/8, especially when he came back after his injury.  Anyway as I've said before I think Bailey will go well.  He's just one more of our backline who can defend well.  I'm puzzled by the inclusion of George. 

Love that Hasler decided to trial Bailey at 5/8th in the preseason - a spot for tested options. But how to utilise Lyon's new super kicking game?

Agree with DSM's reservations about big George.  He's the surprise selection.  Last year at times he was pedestrian in defence and would be an easy target if he hasn't made big gains in fitness.

I don't go along with the theory that everyone seems to run, that just because you are a big unit, you must be unfit or not up to it. Rose was playing very well in 07 prior to injury and there is no reason he won't do so again. A bit of extra size also will make him harder to stop, and a bigger fella adds a bit of character to the game, rather than the cloned body shape that seems to be the go these days

I'm really happy to see George in there. I saw a picture of him in the paper a couple of months ago and he looked a lot fitter, I guess the prospect of never playing again would be a great motivator. He was playing great when he got injured and I hope he can regain and improve on that form. Both he and Cuthbo can add some great impact of the bench.

i am extremely happy to see George playing.

Anyone who has watched him would know he takes till about round 10 until he gets his match fitness up to a level where he can play to his full potential and thats when he starts ripping in. This in my opinion is a sign that Des is keen to see him there at the end of the season fit and tearing up the opposition.

As for the WCC we would all love to win, but would anyone prefer a win in the WCC at the cost of a win in the NRL season proper?

I wouldnt

It may  depend on the conditions - George is big and heavy, though made some good metres and busts in the 07 season. JWH is very mobile and is a great athlete. Interesting to see who Des picks.

Guys, it's not that we want George to play poorly, rather the opposite.  Manly have been really loyal to this big guy.  It's the glue that makes us superior to other clubs, loyalty.  I want him to cement a place in the side permanently and go on from here.  I spoke to him at the last fan day and he told me just how much he owed the club for sticking by him.  I hope he goes well.

Alright guys,

Im a Leeds fan and just thought i'd let you know the team that will hand you your arses Sunday evening  ;)

http://therhinos.co.uk/news/788.php

19 man squad:

2. Donald
3. Smith
4. Senior
5. Hall
6. McGuire
7. Burrow
8. Leuluai
10. Peacock
11. Jones Buchanan
12. Laitiiti
13. Sinfield
14. Diskin
16. Bailey
17. Kirke
18. Ablett
19. Burgess
20. Gibson
23. Watkins
26. McShane

We only have Webb and Buderus out. I cant class Eastwood as he hasnt been over yet and is waiting on his appeal.

I think Leeds will line up like this:

Smith
Donald
Ablett
Senior
Hall
McGuire
Burrow
Leuluai
Diskin
Peacock
Lauitiiti
Jones-Buchanan
Sinfield

Burgess (prop)
Kirke (2nd row)
Bailey (prop)
Watkins (centre)

Ablett is a 2nd row/loose by trade but is a decent makeshift centre and played there most of last year in Toopi's absence. He will move to the backrow in the game letting 17 year old Watkins take the pitch. Watch out for this kid. He is pretty impressive. 185cm and 83k. He is quick and has brilliant footwork with a nice offload. The most promising centre this country has produced in a long time IMO.

Anyway good luck, if our strong forwards can get on top of yours I reckon it will be close. Hopefully we can close down your backs to give us a chance.

Might do a preview on RLFans later and if so I will post it on here too.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6