Manly V Newtown 1981 on fox now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can't watch it. Mrs has just blown a fuse over the amount of sport/football on the TV at moment. Ohh dear here we go trouble time.

Blast from the past, I was at that game sitting with the Manly Supporers club in the Sheridan stand, such fantastic memories, the brawl speaks for itself, it gave the Jets the momentum to score 13 points in no time. It was a brave fight by the boys and they fell short.

That team will littered with wonderful players, Eadie, Krilich, Dorahy, Boyd Alan Thompson, Tom Mooney, Johnny Gibbs, Bruce Walker.All played in sucesful Manly teams, back then we were definately the most hated team, due to our success and signing a certain 3 Magpie players.

That was back in my teen years and the game has changed a lot.
Still great to relive that match even though we didnt win.

With a roster like that they have no excuse for failing in such a big match like that was ;p

My 5 yr old boy asked why are the scrums like that.
How tough was Broadhurst. Took a beating and was still our best player.

I just caught the end of it. Newtown winding down the clock in the last 10, Phil Gould stays down after a regulation tackle, commentator Rex Mossop says, "Gould is taking a dive.. I mean rest". Classic!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I just caught the end of it. Newtown winding down the clock in the last 10, Phil Gould stays down after a regulation tackle, commentator Rex Mossop says, "Gould is taking a dive.. I mean rest". Classic!
No, no no, no, no

The traditional softening up period...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqMcDLgOyI

I watched a bit of it. It sure was brutal and Boyd was a lunatic. The difference in skill between current players and back then is huge. I guess that is to be expected now that the game is professional.

I missed it by a day as the plane before mine crashed on take off in Manila, so we were put into hotels for 2 nights till theycleared the runway :(

Today we have athletes who build up to compete in a contact sport.
The past had natural talent who had to work for income as well as play 80 minutes without substitutes and recovery sessions.

Mentally the old brigade have it over the current Players.:angel:

Boyd makes JWH look passive - loved watching him play:p

Is it my imagination in that every classic match Fox plays featuring Manly, Manly always lose. Is it a classic because it was a great game or just the fact we lost ? I suspect the latter. Now the footy's off Fox I've swithced back to the movie channel.

They had the '87 Grand Final on the other day, and I have seen the '72 GF against the Roosters previously. So not only Manly losses get an airing.

Enjoyed watching that - that was my earliest childhood memory of watching a Manly game. Think it stuck in the memory cause of the fight and cause we lost ( they burn into the memory more ).

Les Boyd was (and is) one of my all time favourites, but watching last night reminded me he was such a stop/go footballer - made a run flat chat, then take a rest hands on hips for 30 seconds.....throw six punches....then take a rest.... then go again. Reminded me too what a good player Phil Sigsworth was and how he could have had a great career after he switched to Manly a few years later.

My favourite era of footy the early 80's.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7