Manly V Souths teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sea Eagles NRL Team

1 Brett Stewart
2 Michael Robertson
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Steve Matai
5 Michael Bani
6 Chris Bailey
7 Matt Orford (c)
8 Brent Kite
9 Matt Ballin
10 Josh Perry
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Glenn Hall
13 Glenn Stewart

Interchange
14 Heath L’Estrange
15 Jason King
16 Adam Cuthbertson
18 Shane Rodney

Coach Des Hasler

Starting to look a little more like a footy team now... I notice Dino has been dropped.... all part of the process of bringing him along I guess. We'll be much better off if Matai is playing... I believe matai is a top class centre these days.

Like the look of shane Rodney this year too... How many players leave penrith and go on to bigger and better things???

Wallace, Rodney etc

Referees: Jared Maxwell & Phil Haines; Sideline Officials: Luke Potter & Daniel Eastwood; Video Referee: Steve Clark

Toyota Cup
Coach David Penna has named another strong line-up to face a middle of the table Rabbitohs side. Jamie Buhrer's and his team are sitting two points clear at the top of the table with a massive 132 point differential in their favour, 46 ahead of their closest rival.

1 Scott Blanch
2 Michael Oldfield
3 Matt Grieve
4 Blake Davey
5 David Sheehan
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Ilija Radan
9 Brad Bennett
10 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11 Michael Tiopira
12 Todd Wilson
13 Jamie Buhrer (c)

Interchange
14 Liam Higgins
15 Mitch Porter
16 Lama Tasi
17 Shane Gray
18 Chris Stolk
20 Thomas Lolohea

Coach David Penna

SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS
1. Luke Capewell
2. Nathan Merritt 3. Colin Best 4. Beau Champion 5. Fetuli Talanoa
6. John Sutton 7. Chris Sandow
8. Luke Stuart 9. Isaac Luke 10. Roy Asotasi
11. Ben Lowe 12. Shannon McPherson
13. David Fa'alogo

Interchange: 14. Craig Wing 15. Eddy Pettybourne 16. Jaiman Lowe 17. David Kidwell

Got my dad watching the game on Sunday and we were both impressed with Rodney. He tried hard and was involved a lot he is definitely one of the better of our forwards at the moment

Did Wolfman re-injure himself in the Knights game? Where is he? I'm not a fan of Bani - he doesn't have nearly enough spark

Yeah wolfman out for a few weeks still. Bani goes good with good ball.. the first game with Jamie he was great.

Rodney is a champ. Hall better watch out.. his starting spot he may well lose.. and if T Rex improves.. his bench spot may be gone too.

would not be surprised to see hall in a roosters/souths/dogs jersey next season considering he is off-contract, we have plenty of depth in youngsters & we are looking to re-sign other players

A team that gives me alot of confidence. Do we have a number 17 in the first grade side or is Des showing his sense of humour.

Young guys are killing it as well. Convincing ladder leaders, hopefully some are ready to step up soon.

deadlyeagle link said:
would not be surprised to see hall in a roosters/souths/dogs jersey next season considering he is off-contract, we have plenty of depth in youngsters & we are looking to re-sign other players

he has already played and failed at all of those clubs. I doubt that they would try again with him, and i doubt even further that he would want to return to any of them.

Nutzcraw link said:
How many players leave penrith and go on to bigger and better things???

Des Hasler

Biscuits link said:
[quote author=deadlyeagle link=topic=180107.msg219134#msg219134 date=1239694412]

he has already played and failed at all of those clubs. I doubt that they would try again with him, and i doubt even further that he would want to return to any of them.
[/quote]

Sure but there are still another 14 clubs still that hav not been mentioned & then there is Super league. Having won a premiership looks really good on your resume no matter how average you are.

you didnt mention that he could end up at another club. You specifically mentioned clubs he had played. I agree other clubs would be interested but couldnt imagine those 3 revisiting him despite the player he has become. Do you think we would have chased paul stephenson to replace bell had he had a good season and won the comp with cronulla last year, or michael witt or Travis burns for next season if we dont secure orford.

I don't understand people's negative comments about Hall.  He goes forward, busts the line, scores tries.  Sure he has some mistakes in him, but he busts his guts week in week out.  Can't say the same about Princess or Perry.  Move one of those on and keep Hall.  He's inexpensive as well and does not suffer the injuries the way princess does.

Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles Preview
NRL.com
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54474
ANZ Stadium
Saturday 7.30pm

WHAT a difference a week makes! The reigning premiers enter this clash with all the momentum after favourite son Brett Stewart sensationally jump-started their flat-battery 2009 campaign with a hat-trick of tries to blow away the Wests Tigers at Brookvale last week.

Meanwhile there were worrying signs for the Rabbitohs at this venue just last Monday night – they scored from their first set to totally dominate the Bulldogs early but then surrendered two tries to the home side in easy fashion to go under.

Des Hasler’s boys are long way off the premiership pace in 15th place with a -27 points differential elevating them only above the rock-bottom Sharks (-30). Without Stewart and with a host of niggling injuries to key outside backs they lost their first four straight to the Bulldogs (34-12), Warriors (26-24 late), Panthers 12-10 (late) and Knights (26-12). Their two two-point losses were theirs for the taking and had they grasped those opportunities no doubt the knives that are out for them would not be nearly as sharp as they are.

With a retained squad of 17 for this game they may get the chance to build on the continuity they so desperately seek.

Meanwhile the Rabbitohs have shown they have the muscle to compete with the toughest NRL outfits. They flogged the Roosters 52-12, suffered a narrow loss to a never-say-die performance from the Eels (14-8) before stringing together wins against the Knights (22-12) and Warriors away (22-16). It was the latter performance that stamped them as quality – although the Warriors’ loss to the Knights puts that form line under scrutiny.

The Rabbitohs will take to the field with the same 17 that took on the Bulldogs, with consistent prop Luke Stuart playing his 150th match in the red and green. 

Watch out Rabbitohs: Try as teams might it’s just impossible to negate the impact of Brett Stewart. The key is to limit his opportunities – that means stopping the ball from getting to him (kicks to space) and wrapping up the Sea Eagles close to the ruck, before they offload and get the ball wide.

In that regard the Rabbitohs really need to improve on their lowly 68 one-on-one tackles which ranks them last in the NRL. If not, Stewart (a line break, three tries and 172 metres last week) and Anthony Watmough (a line break, 120 metres, a try assist and six offloads last week) will eat them alive.

Watch out Sea Eagles: Manly’s defence has holes in it that didn’t exist in 2008. To date they’ve conceded 19 tries, the fifth-most in the comp, for an average 21.6 points conceded per game.

Expect the Rabbitohs’ assault to be focussed down their left side, where they’ve scored nine of their 20 tries (with five in centre-field and six on the right flank). Also, they’ve scored seven tries from kicks to be the NRL leaders in the category. Manly right-side winger Michael Bani can start getting ready for a hail of cross-field bombs – especially given the Sea Eagles have just a 50 per cent defusal rate.

Where it will be won: Individual brilliance, creativity and the ability to capitalise on chances in open play. There’s not a lot between these sides as far as go-forward is concerned, with the Bunnies advancing an average of 1330 metres a game compared to the Sea Eagles’ 1249 metres.

The Rabbitohs will rely heavily on John Sutton for creative spark – his 21 offloads is the best in the NRL. And they’ll need Fetuli Talanoa (four line breaks) and Luke Capewell (11.7 metres on average for kick returns) to continue their form.

Manly just need Stewart and Watmough to reveal early levels of enthusiasm; if they do it will no doubt permeate through their whole side.

The History: Played 121; Sea Eagles 66, Rabbitohs 55. The premiers hold the advantage winning five of the past eight games between the sides – although the Rabbitohs will be buoyed by their 40-32 win over the maroon-and-whites at ANZ Stadium (where they hold a 3-2 advantage) in Round 21 last year.

Conclusion: This is arguably the game that defines the Sea Eagles’ year. If they go on with the job after beating the Wests Tigers they can set themselves up for a decent crack at the middle stages of the comp. But if they fall here it will be like taking one step forward and two steps back.

They have the weight of recent history on their side – they have won 20 of their past 25 matches against the Rabbitohs; incredibly there has never been a draw between these two great combatants.

They should be too good.

Match officials: Referees – Jared Maxwell & Phil Haines; Sideline Officials – Luke Potter & Daniel Eastwood; Video Ref – Steve Clark.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Posted:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:42:00

Late mail: All the ins and outs for NRL Round Six

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/image/fridayfootyform.gif

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4