Manly with the best backline in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

smirny

While they don't provide the same grunt and gusto as the forwards provide, where would our great game be without the razzle dazzle of the backs? Here are the top five backlines in the NRL heading into the 2016, as voted by the writers at NRL.com.

5. Broncos

Backline: Boyd, Kahu, Reed, Roberts, Oates, Milford, Hunt

The Broncos have filled the spot left by retired captain Justin Hodges in superb fashion by signing Dally M Centre of the Year James Roberts for the next two seasons. Ben Hunt is sure to bounce back from his disappointing grand final showing and his combination with Anthony Milford will only grow stronger. Test star Darius Boyd isn't one to overlook either.

4. Cowboys

Backline: Coote, Feldt, O'Neill, Linnett, Winterstein, Morgan, Thurston

The premiership-winning backline has a lot of expectations to live up to in 2016. Lachlan Coote was one of the game's most improved players in 2015 while Michael Morgan's move from fullback to five-eighth worked wonders. Johnathan Thurston was the glue which held it all together with unexpected stars such as Justin O'Neill and Antonio Winterstein starring under his leadership. Surprisingly Kane Linnett was one the game's top five metre eaters in 2015.

3. Roosters

Backline: Ferguson, Burgess, Jennings, Kenny-Dowall, Tupou, Hastings, Pearce

Even with the losses of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and James Maloney the Roosters have one of the most respected backlines in the competition. Jackson Hastings showed, when filling in for his new halves partner Mitchell Pearce, that he has what it takes to be successful at first-grade level. Blake Ferguson's likely shift to fullback means Shaun Kenny-Dowall can move back to his preferred centre position, while England international Joe Burgess will be looking to show his worth in Australia on the wing.

2. Warriors

Backline: Tuivasa-Sheck, Wright, Lolohea, Kata, Vatuvei, Leuluai, Johnson

A fully fit Shaun Johnson brings the Warriors' backline up a couple of notches. The losses of Sam Tomkins and Chad Townsend will be easily filled by a fully fit Thomas Leuluai and star recruit Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Jonathan Wright will face the most competition for his wing spot with Konrad Hurrell choosing to remain at the club, while Manu Vatuvei remains arguably the best winger in the world.

1. Sea Eagles

Backline: Stewart, Taufua, Lyon, Matai, Trbojevic, Walker, Cherry-Evans

The departure of Peta Hiku to Penrith means Tom Trbojevic's path to consistent first grade football has been made a whole lot easier, while the arrival of South Sydney star Dylan Walker goes a long way to making up for the exit of Kieran Foran to the Eels. With Kangaroo Daly Cherry-Evans pulling the strings, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai providing a mountain of experience in the centres, Jorge Taufua adding power out wide, Brett Stewart still a try-scoring weapon at the back and Walker and Trbojevic among the game's most natural ball-runners, the Sea Eagles have a backline that's the envy of the rest of the competition.

http://www.nrl.com/top-five-backlines-in-the-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/91158/default.aspx

I don't know about the best, but its pretty good, that Donkeys one is going to score some meat pies this year.

To be honest I reckon, injuries aside, its the Donkeys to lose this year.......just like us in 2008.

If our new boys all gel together who knows we might even make the top 4, but there's nothing, and I do mean nothing like experience and the pain of losing a GF to fire up the same team the following year.

I would rate the Broncos a lot higher. I would probably rate them as having the best back line.
Hunt will have something to prove after the GF mishap.
Milford was going great guns at the end of 2015 and is my smokey for the Dally M.
They have plenty of speed in the centres with Roberts and Reed both pretty handy.
And even though he has his detractors Boyd is more than solid at the back.

I don't know about the best, but its pretty good, that Donkeys one is going to score some meat pies this year.

To be honest I reckon, injuries aside, its the Donkeys to lose this year.......just like us in 2008.

If our new boys all gel together who knows we might even make the top 4, but there's nothing, and I do mean nothing like experience and the pain of losing a GF to fire up the same team the following year.

I agree Mark. I haven't had much of a look at their forward pack tbh but their backline is as good as anyone's.

Mark I'm thinking a bit different , I think the broncos had there chance in 15, that game was there's lol and they blew it . They have the luxury of the draw but with a few injuries and a bit of luck against them it's bottom 8 for me. Manly have top 4 written all over them . A great looking pack and the backline speaks for itself . Just my opinion mate.

I agree Mark. I haven't had much of a look at their forward pack tbh but their backline is as good as anyone's.
1.Boyd is useless
2.Oates is a second rower
3.Reed lol
4.Roberts can't tackle
5.Kahu can't tackle
6.Milford
7.Hunt

Compared to

1.Stewart best ball playing fullback and try scoring one
2.Tafua wrecking ball Tongan international
3.Lyon best centre in the comp
4.Matai hardest hitter in the comp
5.Trbojevic future soo and aus fullback fastest player IMO behind Roberts
6.Walker only 21 won a gf played for aus 18th man for nsw
7.DCE best defensive halfback best kicking game out of all halves future aussie captain set to get his 1st dally m in 2016

I would rate the Broncos a lot higher. I would probably rate them as having the best back line.
Hunt will have something to prove after the GF mishap.
Milford was going great guns at the end of 2015 and is my smokey for the Dally M.
They have plenty of speed in the centres with Roberts and Reed both pretty handy.
And even though he has his detractors Boyd is more than solid at the back.[/QUOTE
]hunt is a choker milford will be worked out roberts is fast,reed is a slug,darius is,well,darius.

Bronco's are a fair way off Manly in the backline.
They have 2 players in Milford & Roberts who have dynamite attacking attributes.
They have average to decent wingers.
Reed though a great tackler gets burn't for speed against any centre with pace, every time.
Boyd is reliable & .....ok
Manly have the games best allround fullback by a margin.
Potential wing sensation in Turbo & the powerful Tafua who is Still a liability under the sky ball, though improved.
Even getting on - 2 World class centres who will have everyone saying "how they came alive again in 2016" when really it will be the improvement in the middle giving them opportunity once more.
Walker will be similar to Milford & take time, but then be an absolute weapon in attack & defensively - far better than Milford.
DCE with FULL control of the field & more time in 2016 will set the NRL alight, I must admit though, Hunt is a top shelf halfback but again - the Manly 7 is the better player, though Hunt clearly was in 2015 behind a solid pack in a team of few injuries.

Let's have a look at the last few grand final losers: bulldogs, sea eagles, bulldogs, warriors, roosters, eels. I know the storm won in 09 after losing one but they cheated, so if I remember correctly in the last two decades we're the only team to lose a gf and win one the following year. I don't think the broncos will be winning anything next season, they over achieved in 2015 imo.
I am surprised they rated us number 1 in the backs, but with the chooks losing Maloney and RTS I think it's pretty accurate.

Hunt will suffer a similar spiral to Wolfie did after 2013. Hunt will never recover from the 2015 GF. Boyd is average and declining, Reed, is rubbish and Roberts can't tackle. The rest don't matter. Donkeys will finished 6th this year.

With Hodges gone who is in charge of the Brisbane backline? Who is the leader now, hunt lost a GF, Milf is still learning his spot and Boyd is not a take control type, our backing is full of inspirational players ( exception is Walker who is new) who all know the game and the mentality required to win no matter what.

Stewart is a class above Boyd in every facet
Oates might shade Taufua in the air, but Jorge is the better player
Anyone swap Kahu for Tom? Doubt it.
Matai at his best is better then Roberts
Lyon v Reed, pfft
I would however, have Milfird over Walker at this stage, although that could change
I rate Hunt but with DCE supposedly being given a free reign this year, we'll see how good he really is. And that is very, very good.

Broncos had their chance-they are bottom 8 this year. Sea Eagles will need to gel-good on paper, but plenty to prove.
Barrett is the key to success or failure.
I think we can go top 6 but expect a premiership in 17 or 18

the local donkey supporters around me even consider reed a slug and thought copely would have been a better keeper,having said that qlders have voted with their 3 team strategy and put their cowgirls up on a pedestal dropped the donkeys and barred the titters.
queenslanders are true bandwagoners;)

I feel a bit uncomfortable with all the hype from the media, Barret could use some of Des under he radar techniques.
Nearly everyday I see some article putting us in the top 4

Its true that we have a brilliant backline when everyone is fit and playing, they can only be brilliant if the pack creates enough room around the ruck for them and also if we have the depth to cover our older players. 2015 was so difficult because of the reasons I just mentioned. It is good to see that the club has done something about the weaknesses in the forwards and if we have a committed team we have a great chance of doing well. In 2015 our halves es were so distracted by their protracted contract negotiations, it was such a roller coaster and really affected the unity in the team. I think that will be the biggest difference for 2016

I must say I 100 percent agree we have the best backline. But it all hinges on Barrett and the senior players (Killer, Snake and DCE) taking control and getting everyone to pull in the same direction.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6