Manly's real issue eats away at us all ......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
We can talk about resigning our two great halves, bolstering our forward power, marvel at some of the great young kids coming through etc etc etc, however what is the club doing about the big issue facing the club .... Our archaic home ground ?

For mine there is too little noise being made, a lack of engagement with the fans, and nowhere near enough pressure on the council to ensure there is a truly world class multi purpose sporting facility North of the Harbour. They and the State Government are our stumbling block.

Time to make a noise, or we will soon drift into the abyss .........

Abbott and Baird haven't got much of a clue about the economy or what happens in the real world so why would they know anything our fixing brookie oval?

So apart from The Eagles, who will use this multi purpose venue and put bums on seats...

Sorry but it doesn't have a huge capacity for a good return on funds invested.....So it isn't a priority to anyone but us the members, the club and that's it...I doubt it will ever be fully renovated.

Not what I would hope for, but I cant see it has a future, especially with Smith and The Turd in charge

What do the council do for Brooky? They seem to be happy to take some rent but then say, sorry we don't have any money for improving facilities. The council should give the ground to the club, if they aren't interested in pitching in.

Here here, BB.

We, the taxpayers who are funding it, must demand the "Fly-by-nighter" pollies spend our money on major, big-time Brookie Reno.

It's my money, it's your money - it is OUR money and we will determine where it goes.

Otherwise Baird and Abbott, you can both
F4ck off to ur taxpayer funded Superannuation lottery win.

In 3 years you'll be long forgotten, but I'll be here for 50 years (touch wood) and Manly Sea-eagles will still be going strong 100 years from know - you climate-change denying, reactionary chauvinist.

Pull your head out of ur ass & the 1950s - stop hero-worshipping menzies & other mid 20th century fascists and support Australia's growth beyond the monarchy. 230 or so years of positive achievement has seen us move on beyond their control. I love the Queen but we are self-governing, independant Australians.

As for the new Brookvale Stadium, Manly would obviously be the primary tennants.

Warratahs & Sydney FC could each play a couple of home games there.

Australian soccer, league and rugby teams could play "lesser" internationals there.

And it could host outdoor music concerts (maybe 4 or 5 times a year - particularly summer). Has to be better than pokolbin / hunter, that sees lots of big international acts.

Would love to see our taxpayer dollars used on a "Major" reno 2 brookie - long bloody
overdue.

Manly sea-eagles primary tennants, naturally.

But warratahs & Sydney FC could each play a couple of home games there.

Also, Australian soccer, league & wallabies sides could be playing the "lesser" internationals there.

Needs to hold about 35,000 to 40,000
(the lion's share seated undercover).

And it could be used to host 4 or 5 huge, outdoor music concerts a year - particularly summertime.

Has to be better than travelling to pokolbin / hunter, as they often do now.

Cliffy said:
What do the council do for Brooky? They seem to be happy to take some rent but then say, sorry we don't have any money for improving facilities. The council should give the ground to the club, if they aren't interested in pitching in.

Council does not have the funds for an upgrade, any funding has to come from State and Federal government.
They did have around $10 from previous donations which probably went to the Jane Try Stand addition and change rooms.

Peter C said:
Cliffy said:

Council does not have the funds for an upgrade, any funding has to come from State and Federal government.
They did have around $10 from previous donations which probably went to the Jane Try Stand addition and change rooms.
I doubt they would have spent the whole ten bucks.

tookey said:
Abbott and Baird haven't got much of a clue about the economy or what happens in the real world so why would they know anything our fixing brookie oval?

Groan! Here we go again with ill informed leftist comments. Why can't you just leave your politics out of this Forum.

For the record, Abbott has committed $10 million as promised. Once the final ownership structure of Brookie has been established (ie a State Govt Trust) then the money will be transferred. Baird is considering how much they will contribute and the Penns are gathering some private funding.

Why do we have to re-hash this over and over again every time some newbie appears.

By the way Beaver Boy, were you once River Eagle?

tookey said:

I thought Abbott was your hero

Ralphie said:
tookey said:

Groan! Here we go again with ill informed leftist comments. Why can't you just leave your politics out of this Forum.

For the record, Abbott has committed $10 million as promised. Once the final ownership structure of Brookie has been established (ie a State Govt Trust) then the money will be transferred. Baird is considering how much they will contribute and the Penns are gathering some private funding.

Why do we have to re-hash this over and over again every time some newbie appears.

By the way Beaver Boy, were you once River Eagle?

The $10m was provided by Gillard/Albanese prior to the last election (funds allocated ion the May budget before the last Federal election) and was confirmed as 100% regardless as to who won the election.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-20/berg-election-dance-of-the-travelling-salesmen/4899188

Abbott's contribution to brookie has been the new lighting.

Hardly an impressive performance for an oval in his own electorate.

You are lucky I don't go on about how the coalition are destroying the ability of the younger generation ever owning their own homes while allowing the rich end of town generous tax concessions for negative gearing, trusts and buying property in their SMSF.

Let alone how they have failed to ensure that large multi national pay their fair share of tax in Australia or how they are cutting 4,000 jobs in the ATO while at the same time tax evasion is rampant with the cash economy and fraudulent low document loans

The Wheel said:
tookey said:

I thought Abbott was your hero

Not since his previous campaign manager went to jail for stealing from his solicitor trust fund.

. . . . not sure where the local residents stand on Brookie redevelopment.
I don't live there but my guess is they would all be opposed to changes. Any expansion in seating capacity, number of events etc, will see even more parking problems, loss of privacy and seclusion etc. etc. Council would have to listen to their point of view. And this will always give them "an out" as to why there will forever be inaction.

How on earth did it work in Wollongong, Kogarah, Parra ? Can we talk about something thats not depressing?

Both Gillard & Abbott went to the last election promising $10 million. Gillard didn't win so didn't do anything, but hey don't let that stop you from crediting the $10 million to her.

tookey said:
The $10m was provided by Gillard/Albanese prior to the last election (funds allocated ion the May budget before the last Federal election) and was confirmed as 100% regardless as to who won the election.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-20/berg-election-dance-of-the-travelling-salesmen/4899188

Abbott's contribution to brookie has been the new lighting.

Hardly an impressive performance for an oval in his own electorate.

You are lucky I don't go on about how the coalition are destroying the ability of the younger generation ever owning their own homes while allowing the rich end of town generous tax concessions for negative gearing, trusts and buying property in their SMSF.

Let alone how they have failed to ensure that large multi national pay their fair share of tax in Australia or how they are cutting 4,000 jobs in the ATO while at the same time tax evasion is rampant with the cash economy and fraudulent low document loans

Yes, Tookey. All this in the last 16 months. Wasn't a problem until the change of government, hey?

All worthy things to consider, but seriously. This is Abbott's fault?!?!?

Ralphie said:
Both Gillard & Abbott went to the last election promising $10 million. Gillard didn't win so didn't do anything, but hey don't let that stop you from crediting the $10 million to her.

I will actually credit the $10m to Anthony Albanese and not Gillard.

So the Manly Daily and Daily Telegraph stories are incorrect when they states that Albanese (labor party) guaranteed the $10m prior to the election regardless of which party won?

http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/m-grant-to-help-upgrade-brookvale-oval-set-to-be-announced-today/story-fni3gnk1-1226691728118

Abbott promised $10m to Brookie leading up to the election when Howard was PM. But the $10m was only promised if the Libs won and they were smashed by Rudd.

There is a difference between having the redevelopment of brookie oval as a policy and actually providing money. Albanese was the only politician to actually provide the cash.

BTW Ralphie are you really Tony Abbott's love child Christopher Pyne? :D

Beaver boy said:
We can talk about resigning our two great halves, bolstering our forward power, marvel at some of the great young kids coming through etc etc etc, however what is the club doing about the big issue facing the club .... Our archaic home ground ?

For mine there is too little noise being made, a lack of engagement with the fans, and nowhere near enough pressure on the council to ensure there is a truly world class multi purpose sporting facility North of the Harbour. They and the State Government are our stumbling block.

Time to make a noise, or we will soon drift into the abyss .........

I prefer to drift into a stupor.

tookey said:
Ralphie said:

I will actually credit the $10m to Anthony Albanese and not Gillard.

So the Manly Daily and Daily Telegraph stories are incorrect when they states that Albanese (labor party) guaranteed the $10m prior to the election regardless of which party won?

http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/m-grant-to-help-upgrade-brookvale-oval-set-to-be-announced-today/story-fni3gnk1-1226691728118

Abbott promised $10m to Brookie leading up to the election when Howard was PM. But the $10m was only promised if the Libs won and they were smashed by Rudd.

There is a difference between having the redevelopment of brookie oval as a policy and actually providing money. Albanese was the only politician to actually provide the cash.

BTW Ralphie are you really Tony Abbott's love child Christopher Pyne? :D

Not sure about that Tookey, Howard promised $20 million prior to the 2007 election, Abbott promised $10 million upon winning in 2013 , probably could have been more, if not for the parlous economic legacy left by the Labor government

We have the best ground to watch football at in the comp.
All that needs to happen is for the NRL, channel 9, the Telegraph and any other pot stirrers to keep their noses away from business that has nothing to do with them.

It is perfect as it is and that just needs to be accepted and used as a template for other clubs moving forward.

All money will do is ruin it.
I already boycott Gosford due to it's lack of ability to stage a professional rugby league match and I feel very similarly about Parra, only the befores and afters usually justify suffering a game there.

What annoys me is how quick Manly supporters like Beaver Boy have been to jump on the Brookie hate bandwagon, joining in to try to homogenise a local cultural icon.

We need to fight the NRL to leave us alone not fight the government to help us sell our souls to bow down to the petty wishes of Nein and the NRL.

Duff said:
We have the best ground to watch football at in the comp.
All that needs to happen is for the NRL, channel 9, the Telegraph and any other pot stirrers to keep their noses away from business that has nothing to do with them.
It is perfect as it is and that just needs to be accepted and used as a template for other clubs moving forward.

All money will do is ruin it.
I already boycott Gosford due to it's lack of ability to stage a professional rugby league match and I feel very similarly about Parra, only the befores and afters usually justify suffering a game there.

What annoys me is how quick Manly supporters like Beaver Boy have been to jump on the Brookie hate bandwagon, joining in to try to homogenise a local cultural icon.

We need to fight the NRL to leave us alone not fight the government to help us sell our souls to bow down to the petty wishes of Nein and the NRL.

Sorry mate I dissagree with you on 2 points

I know people travel. I live at the opposite end of sydney, and would like some better facilities. I don't think that's a tough ask.

Also we want the club to not only survive but to thrive. And the club needs more corporate dollars. If that's another stand that doesn't bother me.

I do agree with you though on one point. I don't want them to make major changes. It's still Brookie.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6