Manly's Team of the NRL Era

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyMatt

Reserve Grader
Hey guys I've been a Manly supporter since 1997 ( my first game was the prelim against roosters) so unfortunately I never got the chance to see players like Ken Irvine, Bob Fulton Terry Randell and the like. Because of this when people assemble Manly's greats into all time teams or compare Someone like Graham Eadie to Brett Stewart I dont really have the knowlege to take part. So I thought it might be fun to get peoples thoughts on Manly's Best of the NRL era (1998 onwards). Some lean years early on but still some great players. Don't bag me if this has been done before i couldnt find it. Just looking for a way to pass time before the game tonight. I'll go First.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson
3. Steve Matai
4. Jamie Lyon
5. David Williams
6. Geoff Toovey (c)
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Brent Kite
9. Matt Ballin
10. Jason King
11. Ben Kennedy
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Anthony Watmough
15. Nik Kosef
16. Josh perry
17. Michael Monaghan

Coach. Des Hasler

Great players and great memories. Makes me proud to be a supporter.What do you guys think?

Pretty accurate, although I'd have another winger - perhaps Tery Hill? from the 90's instead of Wolf, and What-shisname in for Kennedy to the bench.
NYEagle

Pretty accurate, although I'd have another winger - perhaps Tery Hill? from the 90's instead of Wolf, and What-shisname in for Kennedy to the bench.
NYEagle
yes your probably right NY but my memories of Tezza are a bit hazy as I was pretty young. I think I missed the hight of his career. From my memories he was brought out of retirement to help out because we were so poor and by that point he was overweight and slow. I do recall him simultaneously scoring a try and knocking himself out at the season opener double header in 2000 (I think) cant remember who it was against.

Pretty good team, I'd probably change a name here or there, but one I think needs to be mentioned is Chris Hicks on the wing. Massively underrated player (like Robbo), and I feel for him that he left a year before the 08 shellacking we handed out to the storm.

Pretty good team, I'd probably change a name here or there, but one I think needs to be mentioned is Chris Hicks on the wing. Massively underrated player (like Robbo), and I feel for him that he left a year before the 08 shellacking we handed out to the storm.
I considered him and he was a great player no doubt but for me the fact that wolfy scored in a grand final winning team gets him over the line. In saying that Hicks was such an important player for us for a couple of years there. Hope he's still a manly fan.

That's a tough one because you are beginning in 1997, which was the end of a great era. Spud, Innes, Cliffy, Cement are a few who could be added in the above list.

Hey Mal
That's a tough one because you are beginning in 1997, which was the end of a great era. Spud, Innes, Cliffy, Cement are a few who could be added in the above list.

Spud, Innes and Gillespie while all Manly greats, left after the 97 GF and thus did not play in the NRL Era. Whilst Cliffy was an awesome manly player he was coming to the end of his career in 98 and i think it would be hard to argue he had more of an impact on manly than Cherry has in regards to the NRL era. If your talking all time then cliffy would be your man I'd say.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson
3. Steve Bell
4. Steve Matai
5. Will Hopoate
6. Jamie lyon
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Brent Kite
9. Matt Ballin
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Shane Rodney
15. Joe Galuvao
16. Jason king
17. George Rose
Coach Des Hasler
Basically merged the 08 and 2011 sides. I would put wolfman in but that 2013 grandfinal reminded me of Neville Glover.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson
3. Steve Bell
4. Steve Matai
5. Will Hopoate
6. Jamie lyon
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Brent Kite
9. Matt Ballin
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Shane Rodney
15. Joe Galuvao
16. Jason king
17. George Rose
Coach Des Hasler
Basically merged the 08 and 2011 sides. I would put wolfman in but that 2013 grandfinal reminded me of Neville Glover.

How underrated was poor old Robo? Hicksie too! Steve Bell, champion!

What about his holyness the Delai Messiah Prophet Brad Arthur?

True he wasn't actually the coach. However, according to recent posts he was the best assistant coach of all time, and able to take the mantle as the best coach in rugby league without actually having to win a premiership.

Des who lol.

1 Stewart
2 Robertson
3 Lyon
4 Matai
5 Bell
6 Cherry Evans
7 Orford
8 Kite
9 Ballin
10 Perry
11 Menzies
12 Watmough
13 Stewart

14 Toovey
15 Kennedy
16 King
17 T-Rex / Luke Williamson

Special mentions to:
Williams, Hicks, M.Monaghan, Georgey Rose, Kieran Foran, Gualavao, Rodney, Hall, Buhrer

For mine its.....

FB - Brett Stewart
WG - Michael Robertson
CE - Jamie Lyon (c)
CE - Steve Matai
WG - David Williams
FE - Kieran Foran
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans
PR - Brent Kite
HK - Matt Ballin
PR - Josh Perry
SR - Steve Menzies
SR - Glenn Stewart
LK - Ben Kennedy

Res - Anthony Watmough, Jason King, Chris Hicks, Michael Monaghan

Although I still believe that he's better than any 5/8 currently running around in the NRL (including Foz when he's playing well.....and JT who's a halfback IMO), I tend to class Cliffy as pre-NRL even though he played for us until 1999. VERY tempting to put him in there though......Very tempting. Same with Tooves (more than half of his games in the NRL era was with the Northern Eagles).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4