Many more NRL players in ASADA's sights over drugs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Many more NRL players in ASADA's sights over drugs
MARCH 16, 2013
EXCLUSIVE

Up to 50 NRL players will become embroiled in ASADA's investigation into the use of performance-enhancing substances if a proposed bill ramping up the agency's powers is passed by Parliament.

Fairfax Media can reveal that the dramas engulfing Cronulla and Manly could be just the tip of the iceberg; athletes from other sports may also come under the microscope.

The ASADA Amendment Bill 2013 proposes to give the organisation powers similar to those granted to corruption watchdogs. Fourteen contracted Cronulla players are under investigation for allegedly using performance-enhancing substances in 2011, while at least three representative players at Manly are reportedly also in ASADA's sights. However, the scope will be broadened to target more players under the bill, which will place the onus on athletes to prove their innocence.

The Australian Crime Commission has already named six clubs - Manly, Cronulla, Newcastle, North Queensland, Canberra and Penrith - in their report into doping and potential links to underworld figures and match-fixing. Should the number of rugby league players targeted rise to 50, it could spell disaster for the integrity of the NRL competition as the prospect arises of star players - and even entire teams - being rubbed out of the 2013 competition.

The Coalition and the Greens have refused to support the bill in its proposed form, saying it strips away fundamental legal rights. It remains to be seen if the government needs to make minor or major tweaks for it to pass through Parliament.

As part of her submissions regarding the bill, ASADA chief executive Aurora Andruska said one-third of the anti-doping rule violations since 2006 had been uncovered as a result of investigative work rather than positive drug tests.

Andruska estimates that if ASADA had been able to compel compliance in its investigations - a key plank of the proposed bill - 25 per cent more convictions would have been recorded in the past year alone. At present, the onus is on ASADA to prove athletes have taken illegal substances. However, the bill would remove the presumption of innocence and the onus of proof would be reversed in favour of the agency. Failure to co-operate would result in penalties, including a $5100 fine for not complying with a disclosure notice.

Concerns have been raised about the impingement on privacy and the potential misuse of the increased powers. However, Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates said in his submission to the Senate standing committee that the powers were necessary because of the ''ineffectiveness of the current testing regime in catching all the cheats''.

Interim Sharks chief executive Bruno Cullen, the man called in to mop up the financial mess at the Gold Coast Titans last year, has blasted the federal government's handling of the ACC's report into drugs.

''I just think it has been extremely badly handled by a lot of people who have had their hands on it and that goes to the very start of all this,'' Cullen said.

''Personally, I think it would have been better if information and intelligence gathering turned into hard evidence before anyone ever came out and said anything.''

Twitter: @proshenks

This is not aimed at you BE but the reporters.

Stop reporting this crap.

No one cares. (Unless is Human Growth hormone etc)

Tell the players and club not to do it again an move on.

This is ruining the footy season.

I for one do not read this garbage.

You know what they say. Craig Thompson is the only member of the ALP capable of organising an orgy in a brothel.

When does the NRL have to re-sign with ASADA in the future?
Don't!
The greatest run sporting organisation don't recognise some of there countries drug code ie the NFL a first strike drug offence is 4 weeks, nba is similar as well - which in the Cronulla saga is what I feel is fair.
Actually if the major codes in Australia all refuse to sign with ASADA where would that leave them?

I happened to catch A-PAC hearing on this, and the SA Senator rightly pointed out that the ASADA Bill Amendments would contravene the basis of our Judicial Law 'privilege against self-incrimination'
It is scary stuff if it gets through as it will be used as precedence in other matters. This badly constructed Bill will affect all legal proceedings, not just our little Game:exclamation:

15. Privilege: Other Privileges
Privilege in respect of self-incrimination in other proceedings
Print
15.89 The common law privilege against self-incrimination entitles a person to refuse to answer any question, or produce any document, if the answer or the production would tend to incriminate that person.[123] Although broadly referred to as the privilege against self-incrimination, the concept encompasses three distinct privileges: a privilege against self-incrimination in criminal matters; a privilege against self-exposure to a civil or administrative penalty (including any monetary penalty which might be imposed by a court or an administrative authority, but excluding private civil proceedings for damages); and a privilege against self-exposure to the forfeiture of an existing right (which is less commonly invoked).

Central Coast Eagle said:
Well said Bruno!

Yet some here would tell Bruno that he should just wait until we see what, if anything, happens before rushing to judge the manner in which this has handled since being public.

eagles2win said:
Don't!
The greatest run sporting organisation don't recognise some of there countries drug code ie the NFL a first strike drug offence is 4 weeks, nba is similar as well - which in the Cronulla saga is what I feel is fair.
Actually if the major codes in Australia all refuse to sign with ASADA where would that leave them?

With no government slush funds for Stadiums, junior sport etc etc.

Matabele said:
eagles2win said:
Don't!

At the moment ripping up the ASADA code signing sounds the better deal. If ASADA wrecks the NRL brand the game won't be getting any tv money.

I wonder if they can retrospectively make people have to co-operate and make the salary cap cheaters explain how they all signed multiple contracts without their alleged knowledge instead of being allowed to just not co-operate with the auditors.

mmmdl said:
I wonder if they can retrospectively make people have to co-operate and make the salary cap cheaters explain how they all signed multiple contracts without their alleged knowledge instead of being allowed to just not co-operate with the auditors.

Bingo! What makes alleged doping a bigger issue than cap cheating? The sports let ASADA rip them apart.

ffs just get the NRL and ASADA to joint a presser saying from this season on there will be no excuses for any player found taking a banned substance. Chasing players from half a decade ago for what? How will change anything?
The ACC can be left to do their crime thing in silence.

Cycling has survived its drug issues. Baseball has survived players strikes, drug taking and gambling. The Olympics has survived just about everything. NRL has survived a hell of a lot and talk that ASADA will be the end of leauge is just so far off the mark.

Matabele said:
eagles2win said:
Don't!

Take the huge money out of the game, the players go back to part timers who have to work jobs. They can get on the piss after training and games and thump a few blokes without media recriminations. 1 game Sat arvo the rest Sunday arvo. Oh I loved the 70's.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7