Many more tough decisions ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
If we thought the Gift-Whatnow transfers were controversial wait until Snake asks to extend his contract for a further season, to 2017. Having followed Manly for 55 years or so, I rate him our finest fullback - just easing past Wombat. However, if we want to maintain a competitive team in the next few years our club management is going to have to make some tough and unpopular decisions. Many on here will disagree, but I believe we shouldn't extent Snake's contract. Yes, he's playing well now, and probably will again in 2016.
But our team has shown that remaining loyal to ageing champions does have a cost on the premiership ladder.
Lyon, Matai and Ballin are champions, but the years have taken their toll. Can you imagine how they will be playing in two years time?
We are all gutted by the team's performance this season. Unless we get some youth and enthusiasm into our 17 then how can we expect to improve? Weighing up how we reward our champions for sterling long service against replacing them with promising players is a no-win decision for Kelly and Penn.

If we plan not to extend Snake's contract beyond 2016 then I hope that admin has that conversation with him in the coming off season. Tom Trbojevic and Gutherson are already worthy of first grade spots and I really don't want to make them wait beyond 2016.

I'm worried about Matai because he plays the game so intensely and gives it his all. You can't go as hard as he does and not burn out.

Lyon is playing at an age where most players have already gone into retirement. His age is showing in his performances this season.

Out of the players you've mentioned, I believe Ballin is the one who can remain valuable for us until his contract expires. The forwards are going poorly and I think that is unfairly reflecting on Ballin. He offers us great distribution and solid defence. That has always been the cornerstone of his game. By all means, give him a sub who is sharp around dummy half. But he is not past it and I don't expect him to be for his time left with us.

No surprise I know, however Stewart would benefit from having better wingers at the back with him. This season at least that would include Williams, plus Turbo Jr. Next year Gutherson should be back in the mix.

And shame on you TW. You are suffering from a case of Zorbitis. That is a desire to erase Eadie's vastly superior all-round record and ability, in favour of Stewart's try scoring feats!

Of the old brigade I'd give snake an extra year extension.Lyon should retire after this year and Matai should follow suit in 2016.That leaves the backline in 2017 as
1) Snake
2)Tafua
3)Gutherson
4)Hiku
5)Tom T
6)?
7)DCE

He'll get another year. If Zorba's influence over the Board/owners remains intact, hell ensure he gets the deal.

I had another think about it. If he wants it then give it to him. He's still going great and he'd be 32 if he hangs up the boots at the end of the 2017 season. To put that into perspective, Minichiello was 33 when he played in the 2013 grand final. Snake has always been superior to the Roosters legend.

Tough call is right.

Hindsight shows we the right call with Gifty all he would have added this year is to the record injurey toll + chewed up cap space for DCE.

Stewy should do a Beaver - head to super league for a year or 2 in semi retirement

Make it performance based ,if he is still firing before round 13 next year ,up him .If not ,let him & (probably Glenn ) go to England & top up their nest eggs..

Sign Snake for another year to 2017. After all we extended Matai and Ballin for two more years.

Tom T on one wing now and Gutherson on the other for 2016

No place for Hiku and Tafua unless they want to wait for Lyons, Snake and Matai to retire.

Tom T and Gutherson are our future and Snake is our great present and past - Look after these 3 guys and tough luck for the rest.

Hindsight also shows that agreeing to Matai's request to join the Warriors would have been beneficial :wasntme:

His front on defence is still amazing, but his bandaged shoulders can not react to anyone on his right. :(

Of the old brigade I'd give snake an extra year extension.Lyon should retire after this year and Matai should follow suit in 2016.That leaves the backline in 2017 as
1) Snake
2)Tafua
3)Gutherson
4)Hiku
5)Tom T
6)?
7)DCE

Except we signed Matai for two more years til 2017. Are you suggesting paying him out?

If we thought the Gift-Whatnow transfers were controversial wait until Snake asks to extend his contract for a further season, to 2017. Having followed Manly for 55 years or so, I rate him our finest fullback - just easing past Wombat. However, if we want to maintain a competitive team in the next few years our club management is going to have to make some tough and unpopular decisions. Many on here will disagree, but I believe we shouldn't extent Snake's contract. Yes, he's playing well now, and probably will again in 2016.
But our team has shown that remaining loyal to ageing champions does have a cost on the premiership ladder.
Lyon, Matai and Ballin are champions, but the years have taken their toll. Can you imagine how they will be playing in two years time?
We are all gutted by the team's performance this season. Unless we get some youth and enthusiasm into our 17 then how can we expect to improve? Weighing up how we reward our champions for sterling long service against replacing them with promising players is a no-win decision for Kelly and Penn.
He is asking for one year, not four like Dropmough. He deserves it.

There is no hurry to extend Snake as no other NRL Club wants him.

Manly can wait till midway 2016 and see how the young ones are going :)

If we are getting a new Coach, then he should be able to restructure the roster to suit his needs @:cool:

Call me crazy, but I think he's gonna be going strong in 2017.
He seems to have finally gotten his legs right (I know they'll never be what they once were) and those two years he missed, plus all the games he missed from 2011-13, might actually help him play on that little bit longer.

Stewart ----> Trbojevic
Matai ----> Hiku
Lyon ----> Gutherson
Ballin ----> Hodges

Time waits for no man! We have the old brigade's able replacements ready to go. Why are we looking backward when all we can go is forward?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6