Mariners could be playing at Brookie as early as February

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
Interesting to see how this pans out, if it goes ahead. One would think the whole surface would have to be re-done, especially the drainage as soccer usually needs a slick surface.

FFA still haven't made their minds up yet. But you'd expect that with Gallop at the helm.

The earlier it happens, the louder the noise for an upgrade becomes.

Its a sad thing that seemingly our best bet for getting the upgrades Brookvale needs is to ground share with a team like the Mariners, even if its only for a couple of games per A-League season.

Brookvale's problem for soccer as it stands, other than the surface, is that football bosses don't like standing room and about half of Brookie's official 23k capacity is on the hill.

Hopefully it happens though because lord knows Brookvale is in need of upgrading (I still think it stinks that the Dragons practically had money gifted to them for Kogarah Oval and WIN Stadium despite both being used less than half the time Brookvale is, yet Manly basically has to beg and grovel the Council and NSW and Federal governments for any money.....even though its sitting Federal member is also the bloody Prime Minister).

I kinda get the Kogarah upgrade considering the Socceroos, NSW Blues and the Kangaroos also use it for training, and Sydney FC usually play 1 game a season there aswell.

We need Brookie to be multi use to get/be eligible for state funding. I don't give a stuff if polo or tiddlywinks teams play at the fortress it is just a means to an end

The Wheel said:
We need Brookie to be multi use to get/be eligible for state funding. I don't give a stuff if polo or tiddlywinks teams play at the fortress it is just a means to an end

I agree. If that's what it takes to keep us at Brookie bring it on

New North Harbour Rays rugby team to play at Brookvale
JON GEDDES MANLY DAILY JUNE 24, 2014

THE new North Harbour Rays rugby team will play their home games in the new National Rugby Championship at Brookvale Oval.

While the Australian Rugby Union has not released the draw, the Manly Daily can reveal that the Rays will play four games in the northern beaches heartland.

The first home game will be against the NSW Country Eagles on Thursday, September 4, at 7.30pm.

That will be followed by a clash with the Perth Spirit at Brookie on Saturday, September 20, at 5.30pm.

The Rays will then take on the Greater Sydney Rams on Sunday, September 28, with a 3pm start.

They then play Brisbane at Brookvale with a 5.30pm kick-off on Saturday, October 11.

The Rays start the NRC with a game against Melbourne in Melbourne on Friday, August 22.

Their other away games are against Queensland Country on September 13, Canberra on October 4 and the Sydney Stars at Leichhardt Oval on October 19.

The Rays are a franchise made up of arch-rivals the Manly Marlins and the Warringah Rats, along with Northern Suburbs and Gordon.

The NRC will run for 11 weeks from the end of ­August until the beginning of November.

There will be eight preliminary rounds followed by semi-finals and finals

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/new-north-harbour-rays-rugby-team-to-play-at-brookvale/story-fngr8iii-1226965359907

Now if we can get that northern soccer side there, we may have sufficient push to get action from governments to finance improvements.

New North Harbour Rays rugby team to play at Brookvale
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/new-north-harbour-rays-rugby-team-to-play-at-brookvale/story-fngr8iii-1226965359907?nk=5ee3c05af5b777b197dd3afe4da3c61a

This is good news to show the multi-purpose use of Brookvale Oval. The ground’s pitch should be good despite the recent problems.

With the grass growth in summer the pitch will be fully recovered for the Mariners (A League soccer/football game) likely to go ahead in February, so that’s THREE major sporting teams will be using Brookvale Oval. Also there is talk the Sydney Blues Baseball may look at a way to use Brookvale Oval in the summer months.

So surely this makes more and more the need for the funding of Brookvale Oval and the Northern Beaches to have a slightly better facility.

I can see that its a good thing because it helps the upgrade Brookie cause, but I have to say as a baseball fan I am not a fan of using rugby league grounds for the sport. The ground dimensions just do not fit baseball.

I remember watching the old ABL back in the 1990's and there was endless criticism when teams used venues like Parramatta and Marathon in Newcastle. So why is there talk of going down that path again?

The Sydney Blues have a perfectly good....baseball specific venue at Blacktown. I just think they should stick to that.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6