Mark O'Dare

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Former Sydney Uni rugby winger chases Sea Eagles contract
JON GEDDES MANLY DAILY DECEMBER 19, 2013 3:51PM

Ex-rugby star wants Sea Eagles deal

HE is the footballer from one of Australia's elite rugby schools who played first grade for Sydney University and now hopes to win a contract with the Sea Eagles.

Winger Mark O'Dare is going all out to impress the club's coaches enough during his training contact which runs until February to get signed up for 2014.

O'Dare is a graduate Riverview College at Lane Cove who played at University alongside the likes of Waratahs stalwart Tom Carter.

This year he made the big decision to switch codes, joining the Titans and playing for the Burleigh Bears in the Queensland Cup before suffering a season ending ankle injury.

"I just wanted try something new and while they kick the ball a lot in rugby I am the type of player who likes to run the ball," he said.

"So I thought I would give league a crack.

"It was new to me last season but I am starting to get a grasp on it now and hopefully I can just go forward from now on."

At the last season O'Dare wanted to move back to his family in Sydney and the Sea Eagles gave him an opportunity to show what he can do.

During a tough session in the heat at the Sydney Academy of Sport this week O'Dare left nothing in the tank and was reminded just how demanding NRL training can be.

"It is pretty challenging but I am really enjoying my time here," he said.

And the results of all the hard work are there for him to see, putting on putting on 5kg since he started pre-season training.

"I guess if I get a go in the trials that will make or break me," he said.

And at the Sea Eagles he is working on getting his speed back after his ankle problem.

"I am feeling a lot more confident, my injury is behind me and I am getting bigger, faster, stronger," he said.

I wonder if as an ex Rah Rah, he can kick the ball?
I would love to have a good back up kicker for Killer to free him up in his sunset years. :angel:

Union wingers aren't usually known for their place kicking but he could well be a sharp shooter. Good luck to him, the more hungry, determined & enthusiastic players we have at pre-season training the better :)

HappilyManly said:
"It was new to me last season but I am starting to get a grasp on it now and hopefully I can just go forward from now on."
He's only just realised that going forward is the preferred direction to run?

Hmmm. Just shows an expensive education doesn't mean you are sharp as a tack ;)

Hope he makes it, speedsters are always handy to have.

Has anyone seen this blokes cousin, he's a 5/8 who is a below par goal kicker who always seems to hit the uprights, his name is Rick O'Shea

Nah, you shoulda said he has a brother who's twice as big. double o'dare.

Seems it didn't work out at Manly for O'Dare. He is playing for the Bears in NSW Cup now.

Yeah sammi12 mentioned it when we played the Bears.

Going on the last couple of weeks for our Cup side - which have seen a big improvement - he mustn't have been able to impress quite enough at Manly.

Anyone know what the go is with Berryman? He's a bloody good player, has been carrying some injury coming into the season but I hope we haven't let him go.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6