Marketing Faux Pas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
If there ever was a faux pas in Rugby League dress code is to neglect your own colours in promotion of others. Colours are tribal. Colours are your team.

Right now, our players are wearing blue and white (as in the fan day)! Are we the Gummies or the Dogs or other?

If our fans wear these new merchandise and stand on the hill or sit in the stand, TV land will only see a sea of opposition colours. A quick glance will justify their theory that we don't travel to games and we don't deserve equal respect and recognition.

WHO in marketing approved the non-Manly look??? Shame!

I understand we need to raise revenue and sell more merchandise by coming up with new designs and look, but please don't sacrifice a distinct maroon colour for anything else. The only other colour apart from white, I would allow is grey as that is as neutral a colour as it can get.

Majority should be maroon with some white or different shades of grey.

Then, when you see the crowd, you can easily notice the Manly fans!

---

Ramrod said:
If there ever was a faux pas in Rugby League dress code is to neglect your own colours in promotion of others. Colours are tribal. Colours are your team.

Right now, our players are wearing blue and white (as in the fan day)! Are we the Gummies or the Dogs or other?

If our fans wear these new merchandise and stand on the hill or sit in the stand, TV land will only see a sea of opposition colours. A quick glance will justify their theory that we don't travel to games and we don't deserve equal respect and recognition.

WHO in marketing approved the non-Manly look??? Shame!

I understand we need to raise revenue and sell more merchandise by coming up with new designs and look, but please don't sacrifice a distinct maroon colour for anything else. The only other colour apart from white, I would allow is grey as that is as neutral a colour as it can get.

Majority should be maroon with some white or different shades of grey.

Then, when you see the crowd, you can easily notice the Manly fans!

---
I hope your not suggesting we have merchandise with 50 Shades of Grey

i think it's fine on training gear, mixes things up a little butmedia opps i think is pushing it a bit far. it looks great on the singlets and gives supporters an option which is always good (personally i wouldn't wear it on gameday though). but for anything players / officials wearing where there are cameras around off the training paddock, should stick with the predominantly maroon, or the white / maroon polo. to keep with the brand tradition and in line with home and away jerseys. Not the crime of the century, but does seem a little odd to have players doing media in something so blue.

would be good to always see the team in the predominanly maroon polo and coaching / support staff in the predominantly white polo consistantly, leave the blue for the training field.

Agreed 100%...training singlets/shirts should be a chance for the club to maybe trial new designs for a possible jersey. The blue is not a good look for our club, and especially with it being shown in all media it takes all the focus away from our Maroon and White. Poor form by marketing and whoever else was involved.

Haven't seen a picture of it. But in my minds eye the image brings back memories of first seeing Hasler in blue, all a bit disturbing.

'Maroon and blue should not be seen, without a ref in between.'

pretty sure this was covered in this thread:

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Isc-manly-clothing

including a reply from larissa

At the Fan day I asked the woman handing out the Posters why the Team was not in Manly Colours in the poster?

Her reply, we are trying to introduce new colours :mad:

The culture of the Club is encased in its logos and Team colours.

Not happy with yet another decision by Management to change the Mighty Manly identity :mad::mad:

We have chosen these as the MWTS Polo's for 2013 as they are the only ones made out of cotton and not that stretch stuff that looks great on Wolfman but almost no one else.

I must admit the massive use of Blue in these is also beyond me, although I must say they look pretty good.

I will wear this to the MWTS function next Friday and then pop a jersey on over the top for the game so problem solved.

It's funny I bought one the wife, who helps me support Manly but isn't a tragic and her comment was " finally something I can wear that doesn't just look like a jersey"

To each their own I suppose

Front page of today's tele, horo and farrer in maroon tops and kieren luckily has a maroon jacket over the top of his blue training gear.

I'm not a fan of the blue so i bought myself one of the white ones at the fan day yesterday, and being similar in physique to wolfman, it looks great on me too Mark. :p

EagleRock40 said:
Agreed 100%...training singlets/shirts should be a chance for the club to maybe trial new designs for a possible jersey. The blue is not a good look for our club, and especially with it being shown in all media it takes all the focus away from our Maroon and White. Poor form by marketing and whoever else was involved.

Have you seen the bulldogs maroon training jersey? (me either)

I don't understand what the big deal is !!

Variety amongst the gear is a good thing, there is only so much you can do with a maroon singlet year after year

Sky blue........Hmmmmm seems to be the predominant colour used by teams playing at the SFS. Waratahs,Sydney FC.

Kiwi Eagle said:

Variety amongst the gear is a good thing, there is only so much you can do with a maroon singlet year after year

Yeah penrith's rainbow approach is great right.

whats next the away jersey will change to alternate colors

52nslw.jpg

I'm not sure about Marketing faux pas, the most profitable sports team in the world. Manchester United have multiple different colours and styles of tops different from their traditional red. Seems to work OK for them.

That being said, I love our colours and don't think we need to be too adventurous in style & design to keep something looking good. Keep the maroon and splash blacks and greys and blues and it would be still identifiable as Manly.

The Raiders got photographed for their team photo in their predominatly blue training gear for the pic in the telegraph and for it looks like the waratahs.

I went with the family to the Fan Day and I agree that the light blue colour is NOT Manly. The poster of the boys in blue looks so out of place alongside all the others we have in previous seasons.

Should never mess with the Maroon. And, perhaps, we should have sued the Broncos for plagurising it!

Shoe1 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Yeah penrith's rainbow approach is great right.

Haven't seen it, don't see what harm it could do though ...

All Blacks are 1 of the bigger brands going around, and they have a huge variety of different gear and colours. Others mentioned Man U etc, exactly the same.

I'm sure plenty of people will be buying this new shirt, and that is their choice and I'm sure the club will be enjoying the money that will bring in

As an aside, do you remember one of the most recognizable Manly jerseys which featured Red and Blue on it ?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6