Marquee player cap exemption.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Greenslime is doing his best to get Izzy at the dogs outside of the cap.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the NRL will now consider introducing marquee player signings, outside of the salary cap, to help keep superstars like the former GWS player in the game.

The Bulldogs have a leagues club that makes a $30 million annual profit yet can't sign the Wallaby winger because of the salary-cap restrictions.

A marquee player exempt from the cap would allow them to pay Folau $1 million-plus a year and secure his signature tomorrow.

Read more
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/the-marquee-player-plan-to-get-israel-folau-back-in-the-nrl/story-fni3fbgz-1226682442656

What I'd like to know is if this plan includes current marquee players like Snake, Lyon, Cherry and Foz or does it only apply to attracting money grabbers who have left the game to come back for even more $$$?

This final line of the article is a worry.

But as one prominent official said: "Why should the weaker clubs hold back the rest of the game?"

How can TG's employment by the NRL be impartial and fair to all clubs?

In principle I like the idea. As long as its only 1 per club. They are all calculated at the one rate, possibly 600k no matter who it was. Once used for a player it can be renegotiated until that contract expires

That poorer clubs can submit applications to get cash from the NRL for grants to help

The NRL finally implements grants to the clubs that reflect there wealth so poorer clubs get bigger grants than the richer

Or the NRL can but players like falou and others from the UK and they are distributed via a draft system

I would like the idea to be given a lot of thought as it could possibly improve the depth to the game and it needs it

"But as one prominent official said: "Why should the weaker clubs hold back the rest of the game?"

This kind of thinking is a bit of a worry to me. Cashed up clubs like the $cumdogs would simply make offers to players that they could not refuse....

Within a decade you'd end up with a small handful of very strong clubs and the rest of the competition fighting for scraps... Think English Premier league as the obvious example, or even Formula 1.....

jbb/james said:
In principle I like the idea. As long as its only 1 per club. They are all calculated at the one rate, possibly 600k no matter who it was. Once used for a player it can be renegotiated until that contract expires

That poorer clubs can submit applications to get cash from the NRL for grants to help

The NRL finally implements grants to the clubs that reflect there wealth so poorer clubs get bigger grants than the richer

Or the NRL can but players like falou and others from the UK and they are distributed via a draft system

I would like the idea to be given a lot of thought as it could possibly improve the depth to the game and it needs it
You make sense jbb. On first reading of the article I got my hackles up over Greenwank and the dogs, though, if a system is put in place to benefit all clubs then all well and good.
TG will probably get Izzy to the dogs as his final moment of doggy glory and everyone will sing his praises as CEO immortal (insert puke here).
I'm a pacifist but I want to punch him.

Won't work! Every big name player will be saying we off to a different code if I don't get more money. Limiting it to one player per team would be a constraint of trade and open up a legal minefield.

The outcome a competition with about 6 cashed up clubs competing in it.

A fairer system would be to get exemptions

Won't work! Every name player will be saying I'm going if you don't give me more money. You can't limit it to one player as it could be legally challenged as a constraint of trade and open up a legal minefield.

Do it if you want to see a competition between about 6 cashed up clubs.

A fairer system would be to get exemptions on players who have been at one club i.e start may be at 5 years and have incremental increased exemptions the longer that player stays.

niccipops said:
jbb/james said:

You make sense jbb. On first reading of the article I got my hackles up over Greenwank and the dogs, though, if a system is put in place to benefit all clubs then all well and good.
TG will probably get Izzy to the dogs as his final moment of doggy glory and everyone will sing his praises as CEO immortal (insert puke here).
I'm a pacifist but I want to punch him.
The only CEO immortal without a premiership crown :p

God said:
I'd like to know why the nrl props up clubs making 30mil

The worst part is that the bulk of that $30mil comes from a source that (IMHO) is nothing but legal theft...

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
jbb/james said:

The big-name players this is aimed at would never agree to be bound by a draft. They can pick and choose what code they play, let alone what club.

KOMORI said:
God said:
I'd like to know why the nrl props up clubs making 30mil

The worst part is that the bulk of that $30mil comes from a source that (IMHO) is nothing but legal theft...

I'm surprised you don't hear more about that leagues club actually being a laundry

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet Politis and Greenturd are pushing for the marquee allowance as they are the two teams to benefit most from one player being excempt from the salary cap.

The poorer clubs without massive leagues club support like Manly will struggle.

Can see the benefits of a franchise player ie we name Foran as ours and make him salary cap exempt by topping up his pay with other stuff from supporters who in the past couldn't help the club due to how the salary cap.
Using Foran's space in the cap top up DCE's salary and keep them at Manly for life or sign new players ie James Roby from St Helens, or another prop/centre

eagles2win said:
Can see the benefits of a franchise player ie we name Foran as ours and make him salary cap exempt by topping up his pay with other stuff from supporters who in the past couldn't help the club due to how the salary cap.
Using Foran's space in the cap top up DCE's salary and keep them at Manly for life or sign new players ie James Roby from St Helens, or another prop/centre

but this would be so open to abuse. Say the player plays for a team who have a car dealers as a sponsor, that player could be allocated 17 cars as part of his deal, which he then let his team mates drive. It just opens up all the avenues of cheating for a club that can afford it. I am not saying the system we have at the moment is great but these sorts of suggestions keep coming from clubs that can most afford to rort the system

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4