Marty Taupau's Position

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
So if you listen to Trent Barrett here: http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/02/15/trent_barrett_post_m.html he mentioned that he thought Taupau logged a lot of minutes in the All Star game, and mentioned that he actually played backrow there, which he won't see much time doing here at Manly.

Really glad about that. So what are peoples thought's? Is he a starter, or comes off the bench? For mine, a starter every game (full strength):

08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Marty Taupau
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Nate Myles
15. Darcy Lussick
16. Brenton Lawrence
17. Lewis Brown

Jesus, how lucky are we with this team on paper.

So if you listen to Trent Barrett here: http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/02/15/trent_barrett_post_m.html he mentioned that he thought Taupau logged a lot of minutes in the All Star game, and mentioned that he actually played backrow there, which he won't see much time doing here at Manly.

Really glad about that. So what are peoples thought's? Is he a starter, or comes off the bench? For mine, a starter every game (full strength):

08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Marty Taupau
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Nate Myles
15. Darcy Lussick
16. Brenton Lawrence
17. Lewis Brown

Nate Myles WILL start
Not sure if we can carry Brown and Buhrer

In the All Stars he played in the back row on the right edge. Its also where he played his best games for the Tigers last year.
If Barrett is thinking of using him as a prop or a lock (middle player) then we're in trouble. Being on an edge he can run good angles and pick out players in the defensive line to either trample over or beat with footwork.
Having him tuck the ball under the arms and running into a brick wall in the middle of the field is useless! Surely Barrett can't be that stupid.
8. Trbojevic
9. Parcell
10. Myles
11. Buhrer
12. Taupau
13. Mateo
14. Lawrence
15. Symonds
16. Brown
17. Lussick / Starling

Last edited:
In the All Stars he played in the back row on the right edge. Its also where he played his best games for the Tigers last year.
If Barrett is thinking of using him as a prop or a lock (middle player) then we're in trouble. Being on an edge he can run good angles and pick out players in the defensive line to either trample over or beat with footwork.
Having him tuck the ball under the arms and running into a brick wall in the middle of the field is useless! Surely Barrett can't be that stupid.
8. Trbojevic
9. Parcell
10. Myles
11. Buhrer
12. Taupau
13. Mateo
14. Lawrence
15. Symonds
16. Brown
17. Lussick / Starling
But can he make 30/40 tackles per game? your not thinking defence which is a very big part of trents plans.and so it should be

8. Tapau or jake t
9. Parcel
10. Myles
11. Mateo
12. Buhrer
13. Tapau or jake t
14. Lawrence
15. Lussick
16. Brown
17. T red
We don't really need to hookers when buhrer and brown can fill in

8. Trbojevic
9. Parcell
10. Myles
11. Buhrer
12. Taupau
13. Mateo
14. Lawrence
15. Symonds
16. Brown
17. Lussick / Starling
Kapow has a trump card in that massive right fend, making him more effective on the left edge like the palm that almost snapped old mates neck in the game Sat night.
They actually played him on the right in the initial period, making him fend across his body until he went left where he could use his natural hand off with far greater effect.
Also don't mind him roving a little & at times playing direct in the middle, as he does have a great offload that could see Parcell or Walker into open spaces.

He only Avgs 45 mins a game. I think they will use him similar to the Tigers did. Start him at lock and use him as a third prop. Then for his second stint bring him back on as a prop.

I don't agree with this.

He played 13, but he was clearly defending and taking the ball up the middle (like most locks in the modern game). He destroyed Souths last year barging over near the posts (and wiping out Alex Johnston with a fend). Later in the same match, he ran off Luke Brooks a little wider and scored another try so it's not as if he won't still find himself on the fringes against smaller opponents during set plays.

He should be doing what JWH does for the Roosters and stand up to all comers in the middle of the field with sheer aggression and determination...that is how you soften the opposition pack up and win the forward battle...not standing down one edge waiting entire sets for the ball to come your way, only to find that it doesn't.

I don't agree with this.

He played 13, but he was clearly defending and taking the ball up the middle (like most locks in the modern game). He destroyed Souths last year barging over near the posts (and wiping out Alex Johnston with a fend). Later in the same match, he ran off Luke Brooks a little wider and scored another try so it's not as if he won't still find himself on the fringes against smaller opponents during set plays.

He should be doing what JWH does for the Roosters and stand up to all comers in the middle of the field with sheer aggression and determination...that is how you soften the opposition pack up and win the forward battle...not standing down one edge waiting entire sets for the ball to come your way, only to find that it doesn't.
Good post

I think marty will lock the scrum with nate starting in the front with jake . Nate wont start off bench. Myles. Parcell. Jake . Mateo .Brown . Kapow. Res. Lussick .lawrence. t red. Api.

If Starling and Lawrence can continue to hold there own, ( and they will in my opinion) even as the two bench props, it makes selections very interesting for the other forwards in the mix.
I like it.
Even come origin time a pack of Lussick, parcell, Lawrence Mateo, Buhrer, tapow.Starling,
Symonds, vave, brown, Api will get a job done.

Jake T will start at lock. Marty and Myles at prop.
Jake can punch out big minutes at lock, meaning shorter stints for other middle forwards, higher rotations and more explosiveness.

If Starling and Lawrence can continue to hold there own, ( and they will in my opinion) even as the two bench props, it makes selections very interesting for the other forwards in the mix.
I like it.
Even come origin time a pack of Lussick, parcell, Lawrence Mateo, Buhrer, tapow.Starling,
Symonds, vave, brown, Api will get a job done.
Yer well starling and lawrence were our starting props in 14 so its not a bad backdrop is it . Starling will bust himself to force his way into the starting 17 . Thats not to say he wont be in the mix somewhere.

We are very fortunate in deed to be having this discussion. Well done Bozo!!! Big Marty will have a wow of a season running a muck on the left edge. A healthy Lawrence and a focussed Vave will complete our front row stocks backing up JT and Myles. I haven't look forward to season like this one for as long as I can remember. I expect the pain of the first half of 2015 to have a lot to do with that feeling.

08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Marty Taupau
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Nate Myles
15. Darcy Lussick
16. Brenton Lawrence
17. Lewis Brown

I see Marty playing a similar role and a direct replacement for choc.
Setting the tone in the middle, as well as hitting the edges with the ball.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7