Masked Eagle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thanks for your concern Mata, but I'll be OK. Needed to sit down when I read the headline but probably not as dirty as I could have been if he left for the chooks or eels.

Its a strange scenario we are in as fans. When players leave the club we usually can get dirty on them and a sense of anger directed towards them even if it wasn't necessarily their fault but its different here. Does anyone else feel the same?

As I said in another thread I'm going to have to eat some humble pie as I had suggested the club made a mistake in re-signing Matai as they should have left that spot & cash available for young Hoppa but going by the amount of coin he's knocked back it looks like he was always a fair chance of going. Don't think thats why we kept Matai but its turned out to be a good decision.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Keeping Matai was always a great decision regardless of what happened with Hopoate

I've got nothing against Matai. Love the way he plays. In my mind, hoppa was going to play first grade this year or the next and I've always thought centre was his best position. I've seen him as our version of a GI or Folau. Everyone else in our backline was signed up and Matai was off contract and had some interest from other clubs. From reports we were right on the brink of the cap and I was just worried keeping him wouldn't leave any money or position available. Clubs were always going to go after hoppa even if he didn't play first grade this year such was his form in the junior grades, so IMO the best way to keep him was to get him in first grade, play in the centres and pay him accordingly. I didn't want to get rid of Matai, it was just a gamble I thought needed to be taken in this age where your trying to juggle your talent under the cap situation.

Would have been too big a gamble imo, a 26 year old international centre that just seems to be getting better every year isn't where we needed to look to make a cut, other fat could be trimmed off the squad before we went there

Agreed Kiwi, I've eaten humble pie with regard to Matai. He's gone terrific for us last year and this. No way would I want him out of the side. It is my belief that we would have won against the Storm with him in the side. It's his penetration and go forward that we miss when he's not on the park.

Kiwi Eagle said:
other fat could be trimmed off the squad before we went there

Gorgeous George could do with a little weight loss.

I would hate to lose Matai, always consistent when his not suspended.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Would have been too big a gamble imo, a 26 year old international centre that just seems to be getting better every year isn't where we needed to look to make a cut, other fat could be trimmed off the squad before we went there

Yeah, quite possibly, but it could also have worked out. We'll never know, but as I said, gladly eating humble pie now.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4